Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Question UQ or Pad?

Here's my story:

I'm sporting the WBRR DL and I'm caught in a divide between a sleeping pad and UQ.

I've used a pad before and didn't have any problems. Used the Exped Synmat 7, but didn't like the pump feature, so I returned it. That thing took forever to pump up. http://www.rei.com/product/780367/ex...-pad-with-pump

I usually camp during the colder months, so I definitely need some warmth. Last year I slept in 10 degree freezing rain weather in the hammock with that pad.

The only con I've seen to an UQ is that I can't use it like I can a pad in a tent. I usually use a tent with friends. So that means that I would have to pay for a pad and an UQ...that's a lot of cash. I just see the pad as double the use.

I watched Shugs video on how you could use a pad and utilize your sleeping bag as a top quilt. I'm just wondering how effective that is without the sleeping bag underneath you.

Any insight on what I should do?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    If you're OK with the pad in the hammock, you can stick with that until we all try to convince you to get an underquilt

As for the sleeping bag, you don't necessarily need it under your body. It will get compressed and do very little to keep you warm anyway. You can use it as a top quilt, or simply get in it like you normally would on the ground. I used my sleeping bags like that for 2 years and it worked just fine.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    If you want the best comfort in a hammock, the UQ is the way to go. It's also probably the best choice from a weight and bulk perspective.

As soon as you introduce "other" requirements, like "best bottom insulation for ground and hammock" then you have no choice but a pad, really. Personally, I'd get an UQ, then buy a $10 blue ccf pad for the ground. Some people never really get over wanting dual-use ground/hammock stuff - I have friends that use a sleeping bag inside a bivy inside a hammock and they have no intention of ever changing. Sounds kinda miserable and unwieldy to me.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    If you use a tent sometimes, maybe the pad is better suited to your overall needs.

That said. Get an UQ.

I used a pad for awhile. The only things about that are, the width of a pad doesn't leave you much room on either side to move without getting cold shoulders/elbows/knees/etc (can use a SPE though), and you have to be more deliberate with your movements to keep the pad from shifting.

I am deeply in love with my UQ. I can lay however I want, stretch my legs out sideways/whatever, and not worry about condensation on my back either.

Seriously though, if you like the pad, stick with it. Everyone has their own preferences.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Haha! Honestly I've wanted an UQ for a very long time. It's just hard to pull the trigger when a full length Lynx UQ cost $265 and I could get a pad with an r-value of 6 for $170 or so.

Maybe I just need to look at the big picture and just focus on the hammock part. Honestly I hardly use my tent anymore and utilize my hammock mostly. I'm a full believer in being super comfortable, so I would really like it if I could stretch out.

My sleeping bag is down and rated at 0 degree and the full length winter lynx UQ is rated at 0 degrees as well. So I could probably just use my sleeping bag as a top quilt and the UQ as the bottom insulation and be PLENTY warm. I wonder what I could take it down to degree-wise.

So lets say I pull the trigger and buy the full length winter lynx...these so called ccf blue pads could be used in my tent, but how warm would them keep me? Wouldn't they be pretty bulky as well?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Ratings depend on several variables, but I bet a 0° UQ could get you below that, say -5 or -10? And the 0° sleeping bag should be good well below 0° in a hammock. I find that when in a hammock, you have a lot more sleeping bag fluffed up around your sides and on top. Lots of loft = warm and cozy!

I've taken my 20° UQ into the single digits twice with no issues. If I did more winter camping, I would probably invest in a 0° though.

And those blue CFF pads...ugh can't stand them! Even in a tent I used Thermarest pads that I could roll into a small package and adjust the firmness. Yes the blue pads they are bulky. I refuse to carry much of anything on the outside of my pack, especially something like that. They'll fit inside some packs, but we're getting off topic there.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaker View Post
    So lets say I pull the trigger and buy the full length winter lynx...these so called ccf blue pads could be used in my tent, but how warm would them keep me? Wouldn't they be pretty bulky as well?
    Unfortunately the answers are not very, and yes, in that order. You definitely won't get 4-seasons out of a $10 pad.

The REI used gear sale is tomorrow morning. Double-check it is happening at your store, get there early, and you may find better pad options dirt cheap.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Well I'll probably kick the blue pads to the curb then. Honestly I think I might go ahead with the UQ because I only go camping with hammock forum guys most of the time, so the tent never gets used. Plus with winter approaching most of my friends wouldn't want to go anyways, so maybe i'll hold off on a pad until the summer months when people want to use my tent.

I think I would be fine with just using my sleeping bag as the top quilt and the full length lynx UQ. Two questions though...

What's it like using a sleeping bag as a top quilt?

and

Since it rarely gets near 0 degrees here in Missouri do you think I should go with the 20 degree rating or 0 degree rating lynx? Usually it gets down to the teens and maybe single digits depending on wind and other factors.

Using a sleeping bag as a topquilt works fine for me. I usually keep it zipped to about knee height. Sometimes when it's cold I'll zip it all the way and get in, but that's pretty rare as I l have a hard time getting comfortable like that. I would definitely invest in an under quilt as a priority over a top quilt. Later you could shave some weight with a traditional top quilt if you still think it is necessary.

When i don't care about weight and bulk, I use a big rectangle bag fully unzipped. I can wrap it around and vent depending how I am feeling. Opened it is considerably bigger than most top quilts and i think very comfortable.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    0 Lynx, MMSS
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaker View Post
    Well I'll probably kick the blue pads to the curb then. Honestly I think I might go ahead with the UQ because I only go camping with hammock forum guys most of the time, so the tent never gets used. Plus with winter approaching most of my friends wouldn't want to go anyways, so maybe i'll hold off on a pad until the summer months when people want to use my tent.

I think I would be fine with just using my sleeping bag as the top quilt and the full length lynx UQ. Two questions though...

What's it like using a sleeping bag as a top quilt?

and

Since it rarely gets near 0 degrees here in Missouri do you think I should go with the 20 degree rating or 0 degree rating lynx? Usually it gets down to the teens and maybe single digits depending on wind and other factors.
    I slept out this past weekend at the Michigan Annual Hang. I have a WBRR DL. Temp hit 20s at night. Really wished I had an UQ. I am from Missouri. Was born in KC and raised between KC and St. Joseph. Debating on whether I should go 20 degrees or 0 degree. Do you know if it is possible to vent the UQs? (Meaning hanging them looser so you can use them in warmer temps..) If it is possible, I think the zero would be more useful, but that is just my opinion.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast