WB BB DL
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, Mamba
    Suspension
    adj strap/buckle

Marlin spike hitch / Whoopie Slings

I have Whoopie slings on my ENO DN. I know how to set up the Marlin Spike Hitch with a toggle to hang the adjustable loop of the Whoopie slings on ( on the knot and not on the toggle). - Just wondering if you could use a climbing rated carabiner in place of the toggle in the loop of the marlin hitch and connect the Whoopie sling to the carabiner. Would this be safe? would the knot hold with the carabiner attached this way . I woul appreciate any input on this.

I do and have seen this question asked before with a resounding yes for an answer.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    I do this sometimes, but I would suggest using the spine of the carabiner as the toggle and the gate to help prevent your whoopie from slipping off during setup and teardown.

Here's a photo.
    CarabinerAsToggle.jpg

Edit - note with this way you can use a pretty small, non-climbing rated carabiner. DO NOT hang the whoopie directly off a non-rated biner as bad things are likely to happen.
    Last edited by PapaSmurf; 10-17-2014 at 09:41.

Hammock
    LSOH,WARRIOR EDGE
    Tarp
    dd xl
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster Down
    Suspension
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    I do this sometimes, but I would suggest using the spine of the carabiner as the toggle and the gate to help prevent your whoopie from slipping off during setup and teardown.

Here's a photo.
    CarabinerAsToggle.jpg

Edit - note with this way you can use a pretty small, non-climbing rated carabiner. DO NOT hang the whoopie directly off a non-rated biner as bad things are likely to happen.
    +1 bad things will happen ( don't ask me how I know )

Hammock
    DH RG 11' - Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    WL OMW or Tadpole
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/kevlar
    Images
    I use the Metolius Mini Biner at 26g each, good security and utility. Papa Smurf included two solid toggle with my new Roaming Gnome and they are 8g each and look bullet proof. The weight savings is tempting, but I started on these biners and never had an issue, I also like the ability to hang my pack or other gear from them if needed ( I worry about dislodging a toggle or it's wrap if I use it double duty). I clip straight in and the are fully weight rated. Maybe a toggle on one end and a biner on the other, hmm.

Edit-I am with Papa Smurf on the non-rated biners, I even felt the aluminum biners (new-style) that came with my Eno were sketchy and some have had failures. Have fun and check your gear on a regular basis to make sure whatever you are using is in good shape.
    Last edited by PaPa K; 10-17-2014 at 10:07.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post

Here's a photo.
    CarabinerAsToggle.jpg

Thank you for the illustration! I realized I had assumed the OP knew how to set it up and came back to check and see if I could find any illustrations. Sorry about the assumption!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhemkb View Post
    Thank you for the illustration! I realized I had assumed the OP knew how to set it up and came back to check and see if I could find any illustrations. Sorry about the assumption!
    No, that's fine. I couldn't find a good photo either, so I just took one real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by PaPa K View Post
    Papa Smurf included two solid toggle with my new Roaming Gnome and they are 8g each and look bullet proof. The weight savings is tempting, but I started on these biners and never had an issue...
    I often stick with my biners too on my personal hammocks.

The toggles we provide with our hammocks are made from 3/8" solid Black Acetal and are 3" long. Like PaPa K says, they weigh 8g each. They ain't fancy, but I like them better than other materials we've tried.

Toggles.jpg
    Last edited by PapaSmurf; 10-17-2014 at 10:23.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbear View Post
    I have Whoopie slings on my ENO DN. I know how to set up the Marlin Spike Hitch with a toggle to hang the adjustable loop of the Whoopie slings on ( on the knot and not on the toggle). - Just wondering if you could use a climbing rated carabiner in place of the toggle in the loop of the marlin hitch and connect the Whoopie sling to the carabiner. Would this be safe? would the knot hold with the carabiner attached this way . I woul appreciate any input on this.
    I'vs done it with no slippage. A clove hitch or cow hitch will also work with webbing.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WB BB DL
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, Mamba
    Suspension
    adj strap/buckle
    Thanks for the input and the photo of the setup using the spine of the carabiner as the toggle and running the loop of the Whoopie through the gate - pretty cool. I agree with the comment on the new style carabiners included with the ENO products - I only use climbing gear rated carabiners for any of my hammock setups. Thanks again for the advise !

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    HG 4-Season Cuben
    Insulation
    HG 0°/30° TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I use a Dutch Biner as my "toggle" in a MSH, however, I actually lock the MSH onto the carabiner and then put the whoopie sling into the other side of the biner, and close the biner. So I'm not using it as a toggle per se, as in Papa Smurf's photo above, but locking the biner onto the webbing strap via a MSH.

This biner is really small so it's a bit finicky, but one side of the closed biner gets the webbing locked in, and the other side has the loop of the whoopie sling. It's only a toggle indirectly, I guess, and not in the sense of putting the whoopie over the knot of the toggle. I make sure the MSH won't slip by adding a half hitch or two.

It's only a tiny bit annoying to untie, so I usually leave the MSH locked into the biner. To untie, I need to work the knot a bit loose, and then I can slip the biner through the MSH knot and out it pops and the knot collapses.

Never had a failure. Seems pretty fail-proof but if anyone sees a problem I'm all ears.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast