Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknowyet View Post
    SirMarkos, That's a fascinating idea. I like the idea of a little bungee cord at the ends staked down and the strip of velcro holding the doors together. For the weight it looks like it would really help with windy conditions. Very Cool!
    Thanks! I'm a gram weenie, so I wanted to keep it as simple and uncomplicated as possible. But yeah, small additions like that would definitely make it more air tight.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I"ve been experimenting with top covers & socks for a couple of years and much prefer the 2 part top cover concept. I suspend mine under the ridge line to lower the height above most of me and reduce the air space to heat. The head end is above the ridge line. Both can be slid from fully closed to fully opened to create the desired amount of venting.
    Using fleece for cold weather back yard/truck camping hangs. It's too heavy for back packing, but I use ripstop nylon for that.
    Have been down to -7*F with the fleece rig and a winter tarp, 0* TQ and 20* UQ.

Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    I"ve been experimenting with top covers & socks for a couple of years and much prefer the 2 part top cover concept. I suspend mine under the ridge line to lower the height above most of me and reduce the air space to heat. The head end is above the ridge line. Both can be slid from fully closed to fully opened to create the desired amount of venting.
    Using fleece for cold weather back yard/truck camping hangs. It's too heavy for back packing, but I use ripstop nylon for that.
    Have been down to -7*F with the fleece rig and a winter tarp, 0* TQ and 20* UQ.
    Interesting concept. What's the split top weight in ripstop?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Never weighed it, but, mathematically, about 6 oz. Ends are tapered and have omni tape tabs to keep them closed.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    0 Lynx, MMSS
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknowyet View Post
    I have the Ridgerunner. I got the Spindrift a while back to use with it sometimes. It really helps if it gets windy out. I recently had it out at 23 degrees and it formed quite a bit of condensation inside of it. Also according to my thermometer it pretty much got as cold inside as it was outside. That's always using a tarp overhead too. I guess more than anything its good for windy nights.
    Would you conclude that the Spindrift is not worth getting? I am looking into getting more gear for my Ridgerunner and am interested in your (and everyone else's) opinion on this. Thanks!

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Tarp
    Insulation
    Lynx Winter Full
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Papal Rage View Post
    Would you conclude that the Spindrift is not worth getting? I am looking into getting more gear for my Ridgerunner and am interested in your (and everyone else's) opinion on this. Thanks!
    Worth getting? Well I do like that it blocks the wind. I do not care for the way it frosts up inside when it is cold outside. In warmer weather if you were to zip it closed you die of heat stroke. I haven't been in the rain in it as of yet, but I think it would help keep you dryer. I almost feel that it is not being true to hammocking as it's almost a tent suspended between trees? It doesn't weigh much at all and takes up very little room. I had a zipper put in both sides. You never know what side you want to use to get in and out of your hammock so that leaves the choice open. There is no bug net used on it so you still depend on the one on the Ridgerunner. Am I glad I bought it? I'm a gear junkie just like a lot of people on here. I know I will take it out some more when the weather is supposed to be nasty. So I know I didn't give a real answer to your question, Just several opinions on what I think of it. Take it all for what it's worth and what you are looking for and make the best decision for what you would like to have. Good luck.

Hi Fronkey when you suggest the UQ from a wind resistant fabric what would you recommend?

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
    Hi Fronkey when you suggest the UQ from a wind resistant fabric what would you recommend?
    I just bought some 1.0 hyper d from ripstopbytheroll for a underquilt and it is windproof and water resistant.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    FWIW I am a big fan of Vapor Barrier. I think it helps control a lot for moisture management in cold weather. I do not think one can really avoid condensation in really cold weather. VB will not do anything about the very warm and wet air we exhale. It will dump a lot of moisture somewhere near where it exits.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Condensation will always be a problem because we HAVE to breath! And as long as that breath is hotter, and thus lighter than the heavy, dense, cold air, it's unavoidable. A well rounded knowledge of how to manage it is gonna be the best bet for anyone planning to camp in extremely low temperatures.

That said, I don't think there's any perfect solution. No any silver bullet that will work for everyone in all cases. Again, personal experimentation is gonna be key.
    Black Raven Survival YouTube Page

Gear Reviews, DIY Tutorials, Trip Reports, Homesteading, Survivalism, Bushcraft, Firearms, Prepping, Hiking, Camping

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast