DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema

Polycryo the new camo "sort of"

At scout camp last weekend. I made a polycryo tarp for my Jr. Assistant Scoutmaster and Senior Patrol Leader. The 9' camo hammock is on top and the 12' banana hammock is obviously under. That tarp is a DIY waste of money. It tears too easy for the price and weight.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema
    If you like to look at the stars at night. This is a great tarp. Unfortunately for these two we were just two days past the full moon. So in the middle of the night it was like being interrogation by the police. For hours. Lol.
    I think it would be fun in a light rain. Something to look forward too.

Hammock
    WBRR, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Quilts and pads
    Images
    Have to admit it is a cool concept, but like many inventions they don't always work as intended or work too well.

Hammock
    Hennessy Exped /or "other" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy or 9x9DD
    Insulation
    Supershelter
    Suspension
    original
    Images
    Not a fan of plastic tarps but I made one to play around with setups before I got one. Not something that I would use on a regular basis. Good skill to learn and at least do once just in case. I've always said, better to know how to do it and not need it, than need it and not know how to do it. Take the lessons learned and use better materials now.
    “The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I've seen some polycryo tarps made reinforcing the edges with the included mounting tape that comes with the kit. Did you try that with yours ?

Your tarp looks awesome, BTW.

I've had the moon do that to me in 'regular' tarps if it's gotten low enough on the horizon to 'peek' under my tarp edge. It's like having car lights shine in your eyes LOL. The first time it happened to me I thought one of my Scouts was shining a flashlight in my face to wake me up for something.

Hammock
    simply light 11' 1.1 sl
    Tarp
    noah12, crazycreek
    Insulation
    SLD Quickhang
    Suspension
    whoopies
    The polycryo tarps that I made were one of the most valuable thing that I have done to learn how tarps "work"... how they stretch, angles, cat cuts, doors, etc. Would I plan on using one outside the back yard? probably not, but after experimenting with them I know a whole lot more of what I want in a "real" tarp ( silnylon, argon, etc ). Really a great learing experience.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema
    Quote Originally Posted by geneaut View Post
    I've seen some polycryo tarps made reinforcing the edges with the included mounting tape that comes with the kit. Did you try that with yours ?

Your tarp looks awesome, BTW.

I've had the moon do that to me in 'regular' tarps if it's gotten low enough on the horizon to 'peek' under my tarp edge. It's like having car lights shine in your eyes LOL. The first time it happened to me I thought one of my Scouts was shining a flashlight in my face to wake me up for something.
    After working with it to build the tarp. I did use the double tape on the ridge line to connect the two panels. The stretch was so bad I used gorilla tape over the top as the ridge line. As well as the tie outs. But no edge reinforcements at all. Some scout will trip on the guy line and hopefully only tear the corner off. Witch is an easy repair in the field. Lol. We will see how this works out.

Hammock
    WBBB / Trek Light
    Tarp
    Squidbilly custom
    Insulation
    Jarbidge,UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/strap
    Images
    Using a single larger sheet with reinforced edges has worked well for me. Connecting two panels definitely will create weak points in this material. I also like to set it up in a an asym fashion with a continuous ridge line. I think the other key is not pulling them too tight. With traditional tarps we pull them tight to get the best performance out of them. With these if they are strung tight and puncture happens the thing will be trashed instantly. Their performance and water repellent ability is not directly related to how tight they are. So a looser pitch=more durability. The drawback is that they can be a bit loud in the wind when pitched in this manner. I really like it for the money on trips when storms are unlikely. They are also great for new folks who are just trying out hammocks that do not or can not invest in a quality tarp. They are great for keeping the frost and dew off but, I would not want to have it as my only option in cold wet weather.
    I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.

-Albert Einstein

Hammock
    simply light 11' 1.1 sl
    Tarp
    noah12, crazycreek
    Insulation
    SLD Quickhang
    Suspension
    whoopies
    It makes perfect sense about not pitching it too tight..... I'm glad someone thought of it, 'cause it didn't even occur to me! I did have a couple I made that I was really impressed with, as far as durability, considering they were made out of window film. Really withstood some wind ( 30 -40 mph sustained ) pretty well. Prett good stuff for doors and UQP's.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema
    When I built this one I put some shock cord in each corner tie out. Just to help keep it from tearing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast