NX250, Envy, Appalachian
    Tarp
    one with doors
    Insulation
    UGQ down
    Suspension
    straps & Dutch's

Hammeck Envy DL

So I got a hammock Envy DL recently and had a chance to hang in it finally so here's my review on this really nice hammock.

The Envy I selected was the 10 footer. It comes with two different options one called the peak and the other is called the peekaboo. The difference between the two is the peak comes with a full cover that zips on and a bug net that also sips on however you can only have one or the other. It's a full zipper all the way around the hammock which integrates nicely to it. The peekaboo on the other hand has a solid cover that zips three quarters of the way around the hammock and then a bug net that zips up the rest of the way it also comes with a cover that I'm unclear whether it zips under or over the bug net or in place of the bug net to give your full cover over the hammock during winter. It also comes with a fixed ridgeline set at 83% of the total length of the hammock. You can order it with or without suspension there's a special code you enter for no suspension and that takes, I think, $18 off the price. The specs and manufacturer write-up are found here.

I chose the peak with no suspension as I already have my preferred suspension. I got a chance to use it on a hike I took with the outdoor wilderness ministry a couple of weekends ago. It was just an overnight but I got a chance to use it with an underquilt and woobie blanket for a top cover. In hindsight, I probably should have gone with the 11' model, but I am in no way upset about what I have. Laying in the Envy was very comfortable and I was able to sleep in two shifts of about 5 and 6 hours each. I'd have slept through the night, having turned off my Nook at about 8:10 PM 'cause I couldn't keep my eyes open. But being well past 55, the "midnight runs" struck and I had to go water the trees. Getting back in, I read some more until about 1:20 AM. I should also mention that dogs barking, cows lowing, and coyotes chattering were all loud enough to keep us all awake for quite a while. Even earplugs weren't much help. That said, I still slept quite well once I actually fell asleep.

I didn't need the winter cover as the temps were only going down to the low 50s upper 40s. I did however use the bugnet. Both it and the cover run on a single zipper track which runs the length of the outer perimeter of the Envy with a sort of squared off end point up near both ends of the hammock. The zipper is big enough to see, and runs smoothly without catching on fabric. The track ends are also fairly well located as they're very near the middle of one side. I can also say that it is very easy to enter and exit the Envy, and I never felt like I was going to go bottoms up, or wind up swinging wildly. I've got a peak bag that fits easily inside at one end and although it was just above my head, I didn't feel crowded by it. Both my UQ and my UQP easily fit on it and both cinched up really well. The Peak also comes with tie out points on both sides asymmetrically placed so that they're out of your way for entry and exit regardless of which end you make your head end. Hammeck also provides a goodly size hank of shock cord to do the tie outs. I took advantage and was happy with the seemingly extra amount of space I got. I will however be putting cord locks on both the tie outs to make them a bit easier to tighten down. That or replace it altogether with lash it or dyneema.

The only real complaint I have about the Envy Peak is the fixed ridgeline. David, my suggestion is to either ditch it, or offer a choice between fixed and adjustable. I'm definitely replacing the fixed with an adjustable one as I find with other hammocks, I often adjust the ridgeline either before each hang, or during it. Although the ridgeline was fixed, I didn't feel cramped or pressed in by the ends of the Envy. Still, the RL was harp string tight, and I wished I'd have been able to adjust it.

All in all, I really like this hammock and will most likely order one in 11' in the Peekaboo style (although I'm still tossing that around in my head). I would definitely recommend it.
    Remember...no matter where you go...there you are.

"I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion". - John Steinbeck

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lostagain View Post
    snip...

The only real complaint I have about the Envy Peak is the fixed ridgeline.

David, my suggestion is to either ditch it, or offer a choice between fixed and adjustable. I'm definitely replacing the fixed with an adjustable one as I find with other hammocks, I often adjust the ridgeline either before each hang, or during it. Although the ridgeline was fixed, I didn't feel cramped or pressed in by the ends of the Envy. Still, the RL was harp string tight, and I wished I'd have been able to adjust it.
    If you adjust a netted hammock ridgeline too long you will damage the net. I don't believe any of our major hammock vendors off an adjustable RL on their netted hammocks.

[/QUOTE]

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    Yes all the stress that would be on the ridgeline would be instead put on the net/overcover

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Hammeck Envy DL

Hey man, glad you liked it, and thank you for sharing your thoughts!

As OutandBack and nuttysquirrel have both pointed out, the reason for the fixed ridgeline is that the net/cover depend heavily on the profile created by the length of the ridgeline. Even lengthening it 2 inches puts a lot of undue stress on the net and zipper. You can definitely try an adjustable, but I would advise caution when entering the hammock.
    Last edited by meckelangelo; 10-17-2014 at 07:35.
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have an Envy and a peekaboo top cover. I can't imagine ever using just the bugnet except for the hottest nights. The lay is fantastic and it is very light. It is my new favorite hammock.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Dutch's Envy is made of a single layer of PolyD 1.2 in black. The noseeum we use comes in at 0.7 oz./sq. yard. Dutch went a step further with his... For the Peekaboo cover, he had us use the ARGON 67 in brown. I wish I had weighed it before shipping it off to him, but it's definitely the lightest Envy we've made to date. Without the suspension, I suspect it comes in around 18 ounces.

We can order in ARGON 67 or ARGON 90 for use on the Peak/Peekaboo cover on any Envy. Make sure to email us before ordering, and we'll give you a quote. Dutch's shop is a mere 20 minutes from my house, so we can save you the cost of shipping.

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    NX250, Envy, Appalachian
    Tarp
    one with doors
    Insulation
    UGQ down
    Suspension
    straps & Dutch's
    Thanks for the advise guys. I forgot the net is completely attached. Up to now the only bug nets I've used were standalone.
    I can't imagine ever using just the bugnet except for the hottest nights.
    Well Dutch, down here in the summer overnight temps can be in the upper 80s, so just the bugnet works really well.

"I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion". - John Steinbeck

Images
    Hi lostagain,
    If you find the hammock RL is guitar string tight that is a clue your tree straps are not high enough on the tree.
    Either raise the straps or select two trees that are closer together.

I never really measure my hammock suspensions angle when setting up but a quick look at the amount of sag in the RL with nothing in the hammock
    is how I check for proper RL tightness.

Can you see the sag in the RL? Once you get in it will tighten but still have a little slack. hth

Hammock
    NX250, Envy, Appalachian
    Tarp
    one with doors
    Insulation
    UGQ down
    Suspension
    straps & Dutch's
    What I didn't mention in the review (and probably should have) is that the two trees I selected were the only decent ones around that would allow me to hang and still stay close enough to the rest of the group I was with to know when they were getting up in the morning. And I really didn't want to away from the group. So, unfortunately the two trees I hung from were at different levels ground-wise. IOW, one tree was on a slight slope and the other at the bottom of said slope. It wasn't really steep, just low enough at one end that if I hung the straps where I would normally hang them on two trees on level ground, I wouldn't have been able to get in the hammock. This is the first "integrated" hammock I've owned/used, so I'm still adjusting mentally to how the fixed RL works.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi lostagain,
    If you find the hammock RL is guitar string tight that is a clue your tree straps are not high enough on the tree.
    Either raise the straps or select two trees that are closer together.

I never really measure my hammock suspensions angle when setting up but a quick look at the amount of sag in the RL with nothing in the hammock
    is how I check for proper RL tightness.

Can you see the sag in the RL? Once you get in it will tighten but still have a little slack. hth

Excellent point, thank you OutandBack!

My ridgeline was particularly tight this past weekend at MAHHA, but I was strung between trees nearly 30 feet apart. I'm 6' 3", and even I could not reach high enough to get the correct angle. Sometimes there is only so much you can do.

Like us on Facebook!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast