Hammock
    SMR Solo/Dream Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hint: look for new construction in your area. If there is one thing construction workers love, it is cold beer. I traded a $7 six pack of beer for a half roll of tyvek when the new McDonalds was going up in town. If you are only wanting enough for a ground cloth, they will probably give you a piece. I laid mine out in the sun and then repeatedly crinkled it to soften it up. Then ran through the washing machine. Soft and quiet. Typar is not the same as tyvek, but I guess if you are just using it for a ground cloth it would be okay. I made bivy sacks for my sleeping bag and ground cloths out of the 9'x75' roll of tyvek I scored.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    The oft repeated washing machine suggestion hardly seems worth the time and effort. Crumpling a ground cloth sized piece of Tyvek by hand until suitably quiet takes 10 minutes or less. Save time, water, electricity and get a little physical activity in the process.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    DH T- BIRD WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    tadpole+doors JRB
    Insulation
    greyloc 3, WLogics
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I've been using the new roofing uderlayment called raptor. It's very quiet and tuffer than tyvek. The black side has a soft feel to it. What I've been using is around 4 foot wide but I think you can get it in different length's. I don't have any tyvek to compare the weight but its heavier than tyvek here's the link.

http://raptorunderlayment.com

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Another member gave me a link to soft Tyvek (1443R) here: http://www.intothewind.com
    That site is selling it for $3.50/yrd at 50 inches wide. You can buy it by the yard.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Good find. I'm going to try and remember to pop into their kite store next time I'm in Boulder. I'm wondering if any of their light kite tubing would hold up to certain camping duties.

At $3.50 a yard, you're well off to just wait for some silnylon 2nds to go on sale.

Hammock
    WBO BBXLC 2nd Gen
    Tarp
    WBO Thunderfly
    Insulation
    TQ, UQ, windsock
    Suspension
    UHMWPE + Amsteel
    KNOCK KNOCK!!!
    Old Thread - Newly Read.
    HELP!
    I threw in my MilesGear šUber Bivy, with my clothes! - The first time! - to cut down the crunch and crinkle! Before reading this thread!
    Now, I'm freaking out - as my clothes went to the dryer, and the bivy, groundsheet, and stuff sack are hangin' out to dry.
    So, A)I feel the soap still in/on the tyvek, the noseeum net head-end is sopping wet, still. (I'm calculating that this is b/c of the grosgrain, and the netting, not the tyvek - but I'm probably wrong!
    ...and most importantly - B)I didn't think/know to be alert re: the dye transfer from tyvek to my laundry.

Is my bivy now only water-resistant?
    Have I wasted my $$$$ and eliminated the whole point of going with a TyVek bivy over the cost of a Gore-Tex labelled/crafted one? (weight-saving while maintaining hydrophobia)
    Does anyone else wanna kick me as well? (I know I want to!)

(*gulp!*)

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    old_Man_77, Just so you know, you aren’t alone in laundry mishaps. I think it’s natures way of balancing out the fact that men can parallel park (it’s in our DNA). So once I washed a tee-shirt or other white garment, along with a red towel or some other red item. It turned the tee-shirt pink. Okay - fair enough - rookie mistake. But then, thinking I had “paid the price”, I washed rewashed that tee-shirt with my white judo gi. It turned the gi a light shade of pink too. And this was just before class. So I had to show up in a pink gi. Now in some decades, that would show how confident I was in my self-image; I could wear any color. But this wasn’t one of those decades. I recall the sensi took a little pity on me, though my fellow students didn’t.

So I learned about mixing colors with whites in a wash. These days, items are more color fast.

I don’t know about your specific bivi setup but I used a Gore=Tex one long ago on a thru-hike. I didn’t know about tarps at the time. So I was either in the bivi or out in the elements (i.e. rain). These days, the bivi would be under a tarp. As such, it only needs to be water resistant. It seems, if it were waterproof, you’d have condensation issues. Some older one’s of mine have a waterproof (coated) bottom but breathable top.

So if you bivi was waterproof and now is only water resistant, you might have done yourself a favor - except for the bottom. You probably want a waterproof membrane between you and the ground. - if you have to go to ground.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBO BBXLC 2nd Gen
    Tarp
    WBO Thunderfly
    Insulation
    TQ, UQ, windsock
    Suspension
    UHMWPE + Amsteel
    I don’t know about your specific bivi setup
    <http://milesgear.com/UberBivy.html>

but I used a Gore=Tex one long ago on a thru-hike.
    Now, I'm using the US Army's MSS Gore-Tex bivy bag, too. - - when I go car camping with the kiddos.

I didn’t know about tarps at the time. So I was either in the bivi or out in the elements (i.e. rain). These days, the bivi would be under a tarp. As such, it only needs to be water resistant. It seems, if it were waterproof, you’d have condensation issues. Some older one’s of mine have a waterproof (coated) bottom but breathable top.

So if you bivi was waterproof and now is only water resistant, you might have done yourself a favor - except for the bottom. You probably want a waterproof membrane between you and the ground. - if you have to go to ground.[/QUOTE]

THANKS So much for your prompt reply!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123