Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Reflectix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I use the same method for changing into different clothes as you. If it's a car camping trip, I have used a camp chair to keep items off the ground.

Hammock
    eno double/ GT double/ tablecloth
    Tarp
    GG 13x13
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    with scouts,I use the camp chair method and a superfly with doors for changing and maintaining the safe scouting requirements (aka extreme modesty)
    My little folding table is also handy for books/boots etc..
    pictured is a guide gear tarp- a couple adult hangers shared a canvas wall tent as a changing room since they were there already.

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    As the others have said a bigger tarp, especially with doors will solve several problems. You have to be uber careful nowadays with the whole getting changed thing and a set of removable doors will do this as well as give you and your gear extra wind, rain and snow protection. Wind is a big deal when dealing with heat loss as it gets colder. Another plus of the bigger tarp is that in porch mode you can do more camp chores or fit more folks underneath. OK, maybe ​it's a plus.
    I have used a HH Typhoon tarp (http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/p..._30D_silnylon/ ) to good effect in all kinds of weather. It is available in PU coated and lighter, more packable, more expensive silnylon. HH has their October Sale on right now and though there aren't any up at the moment you might luck out if you keep checking back. I missed out on the first couple but several days later I picked up two of the silnylon demos for $85 US apiece for my wife and young lad.
    When using my Classic Entry HH I would tie my shoes or boots together , hang them over my ridge line and drop them through the Velcro closure and seal the Velcro around the laces. Even while using the minimal coverage stock tarp they were always dry and easy to access. I like having a zip entry but sometimes I miss that old womb entry.
    Hangin' High and Dry

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If it is a gathering, they usually have port-a-potty or some other structure around you can duck into for changing. On my trips, it was enough to change behind a tarp (between the walls), lowering it a bit if necessary. Sure, there is some exposure out the ends. But if you are suspended to trees, the trees block a little too. I would never try (because I have tried) to put on clothes while in a hammock. It is easy enough, for upper body stuff, to just sit in the hammock, feet on the ground. When it comes to pants, I just have everything ready to do so I stand up (as much as the tarp will let me, slip what I'm wearing down and off my ankles, step out, step into what I'm putting on, and pulling it up. All it just seconds. It helps to have things laid out so you down start hopping on one foot with the other foot caught in the clothes you are taking off.

It is even recommended to put the sleeping bag on before getting into the hammock. I use TQ's now, but I agree with the ideal of standing next to the hammock, stepping into the sleeping bag and pulling it up to my chest/shoulders, then sitting down in the hammock and bringing my legs in.

You were very inventive in keeping things dry. That flexible, "Plan B", mind will serve you well. I bought two yards of of SilNylon material (about 5 ft wide) for less than $10.00 and made a mini hammock for gear. I got two yards so there was enough material to include a flap that covers the top of the gear hammock. I've used it once and it worked great. Is was nice reaching for things at waist level instead of bending down and digging in the pack. Before I had the gear hammock, I'd just put stuff under my hammock, maybe towards the opposite side I get in. The tarp seemed to keep that area dry.

But I live in a high desert. The ground just soaks up water.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL/AH Original
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex w/SS
    Insulation
    AHE NR UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    1. Change under my tarp....Hennessey Hex
    2. Hang backpack and any gear that doesn't hang sits on a Heavy duty garbage bag

Sounds like your enjoying hanging:-)

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    forgive me for being ignorant of how your systems work in your scouts - but as you pack in a table - could you not pack in just a small beach side changing room ../.

ala ... http://www.amazon.co.uk/CAMPING-CHAN...beach+changing

a snip at 2.4 kg... and hey some cuban mods or silnilon with some carbon poles to lighten it up....

Hammock
    WBBB, HH Expedition
    Tarp
    WB SS, Toxaway
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed hook
    As a fellow Asst Scoutmaster I know the issues deal with. I change under my tarp as most have said or even behind. Since I can hang in areas where tents can't go I'm usually on the edge of camp.
    I do hang my class A from my suspension, lashed sticks. This is one piece that I struggle with especially at summer camp. I normally ask to hang in one of the other ASMs canvas tents that week.
    I take Shug's advice of a small piece of plastic and leaving my pack pockets open. Boots are on the ground. Haven't had an issue with wet back. I do hang a day pack when carried from the suspension.
    You can also try an ENO gear hammock that sits under your hammock. I have one and have used it. I'm working more towards ultra light backpacking, or in my case lighter weight backpacking, though so this doesn't get much use.
    Sounds like you had a great first Campout in a hammock and you should be very happy. The questions you've asked are ones we've all dealt with especially in scouts.

Good luck and keep asking questions!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Most of our Scout campouts are drive up type sites, so weight is not an issue. My wife recently bought a popup hunting blind, that she uses to change in. As we get more Scouts hanging, I see the blind becoming a community changing room.

I personally usually just change after dark into the next days clothes.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12