Warbonnet Blackbird XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies

DIY 1 Pole Hammock Stand

This is my cheap DIY 1 pole hammock stand for outside use. This is intended for setting up gathered end camping hammocks and their tarps for testing your gear at home but could easily be used for any other type of hammock.

My DIY Hammock stand Youtube thumbnail copy.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X69...Mz_gRcSPUncpfw

Disclaimer:
    I'm definitely not an expert in setting up a hammock stand or a hammock for that matter so please be cautious if trying out this type of hammock stand. Always check your suspension for the stand as well as the hammock and always test it with a little weight before settling down and getting comfy.

Materials Used (I already had the figure 9 and paracord so my cost was around $25):
    1 - 4"x4"x8' board $7.50 ish (actual size about 3.5x3.5 in.x 8 Feet) weighing about 27.4 lbs.
    2 - Webbing straps $10.00 (mine were 1" wide and 15 ft. long and had a weight limit of 1500 lbs. with break point of 500 lbs.)
    2 - Lag Eye Bolts $5 ish (7/16" x 5")
    1 - Continuous Ridgeline 20 to 30 ft. $10.00 (mine was just 550 paracord)
    1 - Nite Ize Figure 9 Rope Tightener $2.50 (this is just for convenience you could easily use a truckers hitch or any other knot)

Since I'm relatively new to the whole hammock camping scene I've got a lot of new gear to test out before camping in the cold snowy wonderland this winter.

I needed a solid way to set up my winter hammock gear in the back yard but didn't have the trees to do it. The wife wouldn't let me install a permanent pole in the ground and I couldn't afford to buy a $100-$300 hammock stand. I'm also not willing to build one of the better DIY hammock stands that I've seen on the web. So, to make it quick and cheap I went with a simple 1 pole design that can be anchored to my deck and set up quickly.

After I'm done it can be broke down quickly and hidden in my basement or garage so it's out of sight and out of my wife's way. LOL. Now I can set up my new Warbonnet Blackbird XLC and let the gear madness begin.

Bring on the SNOW!
    Last edited by KdawgCrazy; 10-13-2014 at 09:54.

Hammock
    hk 11' hyperD - The Silver Bullet
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge & old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    This looks like a nice solution. I've got some trees in the backyard, but they are not optimal for hanging. Using this I could easily set up in other spots in the yard. Do you think the 4x4 might be over-kill? It seems that the tensegrity hammock stands get by with only a 2x4.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by RedStix View Post
    This looks like a nice solution. I've got some trees in the backyard, but they are not optimal for hanging. Using this I could easily set up in other spots in the yard. Do you think the 4x4 might be over-kill? It seems that the tensegrity hammock stands get by with only a 2x4.
    I thought it was over-kill too. But the guy at Ace Hardware cringed and made it seem like I was stupid for getting anything smaller...and my wife sided with him. I was gonna use one of those lawn edging boards. But a 2x4 should work. I've thought about crossing 2 of them together connected at the top as well. Main thing I wanted to accomplish was a tall set up to simulate setting up the hammock and tarp but try to keep it as simple as possible. I'll probably make a turtledog stand in the future.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    The 4x4 is overkill but overkill is ok

I'd use a 4x4 if I were sinking a post into the ground for a permanent tie out, without guy lines. Using guy lines, however, you can get away with much smaller setups.

Here's a pair of reclaimed 2x2's from a turtle dog stand, using nothing more than Amsteel as guylines, and I weigh 240#.. we've pushed this to over 400 without it flinching.

unnamed (2).jpgunnamed (3).jpg

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge & old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    hk - how many guy lines are you using in that set up? It looks like four, but I can't tell for certain.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hk2001 View Post
    The 4x4 is overkill but overkill is ok

I'd use a 4x4 if I were sinking a post into the ground for a permanent tie out, without guy lines. Using guy lines, however, you can get away with much smaller setups.

Here's a pair of reclaimed 2x2's from a turtle dog stand, using nothing more than Amsteel as guylines, and I weigh 240#.. we've pushed this to over 400 without it flinching.

unnamed (2).jpgunnamed (3).jpg
    Thanks hk. I'm guessing the 2x2's are easier to carry around too. I'll be going with something like that next time. Thanks for the pics.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RedStix View Post
    hk - how many guy lines are you using in that set up? It looks like four, but I can't tell for certain.
    A single piece of grey am steel larks headed around the entire thing, each side is then staked out. The yellow cord you see is actually just to tension it while I'm setting up a hammock and tarp. Without that tension, when you weigh down a hammock, the 2x2's pull toward the hammock, killing any tension on the tarp.

Grey cord ( load bearing) is guyed away from the hammock, yellow (non load bearing) is guyed toward the hammock

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    hk2001, there is likely something wrong with you when your picture from your hammock stand, is of another hammock stand on your lawn...

just saying... maybe you have a problem.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DanglingModifier View Post
    hk2001, there is likely something wrong with you when your picture from your hammock stand, is of another hammock stand on your lawn...

My neighbors certainly think so.. The like whining that I "Take up the yard" (notice all the empty real estate in the yard) That's why I'm buying a house.. well.. trying to.

And as much as I love that 2x4 stand, I can't use a bridge hammock or a superfly on it.. that's why this one got built

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge & old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by DanglingModifier View Post

Ha, you busted him!

• + New Posts