Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Tarp
    Insulation
    Lynx Winter Full
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have both a Warbonnet full length Lynx in the 20 degrees and then the 0 degrees. I am a cold sleeper to say the least. I used the 0 degree this past weekend up in the mountains where it got down to 23 degrees. I have slept with it a few times down to 0 degrees. I was just thinking this past time when I was hanging it back up that with me there really isn't much need to have anything besides the 0 degree. I just can't imagine that I can get to warm from underneath. It is the top layer that I use to adjust my temperature.I more or less take out the TQ or SB that matches or goes below the weather forecast.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    For a long time I wanted a JRB old rag mountain and winter nest UQ.Wound up going with the JRB Nest 0 degree rating and an HG 0 Burrow in a short because the Nest was made for my HH hammock and since I am short I was able to get the HG UQ in a short which saved me some weight.I did have it overstuffed with 3oz.I am not hung up over the fact that the colors of the quilts don't match or that different companies made them.I am hung up over the fact that I'm not going to test them until I get over this sore throat that is into it's second night.I've always been afraid of down because of the moisture issue but have managed to get a reasonable pack weight because of it and changing out cook and water filtering systems and redundant clothing(except socks).From my perspective weight is just a number;it's what you can comfortably carry that matters,which in my case is not all that much.From what I have read on this forum I am glad that I went with the sewed foot box.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    I have 40* Phoenix and a 20* and neither have overstuff. I got the 40* (the price was good at the time) mostly because I was really overheating with the 20* in the house. The 40* is much better for me in the warmer temps like over 60*. I can vent the 20*, but it just isn't the same. I have been down to 30* with the 40*, but I live in the south so the coldest I have had an opportunity to go with the 20* was about 24* when hung correctly. I froze with the 20* at 38* doing it wrong.

The weight issue: Numbers have meaning in my book and 6 oz. is huge to me. As I get older and look to do bigger miles on my adventures I have had to drop weight and it is all by the numbers. 6 oz. here and 6 oz. there and that is 3/4 of a pound.

I also like to only by things once and use them forever. Down fits the bill there and I find I am much better able to manage my comfort than I am with synthetic and I used a synthetic sleeping bag for, well, 25 years or so. It takes up a lot less space in my pack, so I have a smaller, lighter pack. The new DryDown (or whatever it is) and the quality DWR fabric coatings are insurance, but I have always worked hard to keep my sleeping stuff dry even if I am soaked. It is a long night with wet synthetic too.

I think a 20* partial quilt would be a great addition to your kit. Play with it in the backyard in all conditions and make sure you know how to keep it dry. If you hate it, you can sell it here in min. from what I have seen.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234