Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    I second that OutandBack, great photos... I think you need to do a couple of Videos...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by deuce656 View Post
    Unbelievable Photos!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    I second that OutandBack, great photos... I think you need to do a couple of Videos...
    I thank you both and hope the info and picts are helpful.
    I don't really have the talent to do video's I am much better behind the lens than in front of it.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo76 View Post
    a good place to car camp would be eleven mile canyon that time of the year , or even just pike national forest on rampart rang road , lots of pull off spots to car camp and those roads are well kept , do be ready for it to be cold ... lows at night will be in the 20's to the negatives that time of the year ...
    Thanks gonzo76, any must see/must do while I'm in the area?

Lots to do , hike garden of the gods , old Colorado City, Manitou Springs , Barr trail to Barr camp take that to America's mountain , pikes peak , go to cripple creak to do some gambling , tons to do in this area ...

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' Hexon1.6 burntcoyote
    Tarp
    DIY ASYM
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ/CDT
    Suspension
    Dyno-Poly Beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo76 View Post
    Lots to do , hike garden of the gods , old Colorado City, Manitou Springs , Barr trail to Barr camp take that to America's mountain , pikes peak , go to cripple creak to do some gambling , tons to do in this area ...
    You can ride horseback through Garden of the Gods, too.

My wife and I honeymooned in Divide, CO, and did all the things listed above. Anywhere west of Colorado Springs is beautiful. We had a great time.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    I just was at Colorado Springs this summer. We stayed a night at Mueller State Park- at one of the walk in sites. The park is located in the shadow of Pike's Peak. If you haven't been to Pike's Peak, I recommend the drive up with the audio CD. Garden of the Gods was a great free drive through place and if you have more time to get out for pictures of hikes, then do it.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Images
    Isn't Pike's Peak Road and Mt Evans Road closed at Christmas time?
    We have a 50/50 chance there will be snow on the ground along the Eastern front range at Christmas time most mtns will have lots of snow. Most summertime mtn activities will be shutdown.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 10-23-2016 at 14:50.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC and WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly and WD 13
    Insulation
    JRB HG AHE Lynx
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Isn't Pike's Peak Road and Mt Evans Road closed at Christmas time?
    We have a 50/50 chance there will be snow on the ground along the Eastern front range at Christmas time most mtns will have lots of snow. Most summertime mtn activities will be shutdown.
    That's my biggest concern that everything will be out of play b/c of weather.....not a lot of flexibility due to son's college break dates. considered pressing on to Moab but wasn't sure it'd be a lot better

Planning a trip to Colorado Springs area, suggestions please?!

pikes peak highway would be closed but you can't camp off the highway any way ... you would have to go to barr trail to camp ... pike national forest would be open ...

Images
    That's my biggest concern that everything will be out of play b/c of weather.....not a lot of flexibility due to son's college break dates. considered pressing on to Moab but wasn't sure it'd be a lot better
    Colorado is a year round vacation destination. We have something going on everyday of the year. Xmass break is super crazy around here with all things downhill ski related.
    Everyplace has been booked for months and we don't even know if there will be any of that real Colorado Champagne Powder we are famous for.

You haven't really said much about what you and your son are looking to do or see. 4x4 Truck site seeing and camping? Is that correct?
    If so how high do you want to go? How much snow do you want to deal with?
    Do you want a campground to camp in or a short hike and woods?

All that said Moab rocks in winter if you and your son mtn bike. It will be cool to cold but you will have many trails to ride on with little pressure.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/outand...57634146240200

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC and WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly and WD 13
    Insulation
    JRB HG AHE Lynx
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Colorado is a year round vacation destination. We have something going on everyday of the year. Xmass break is super crazy around here with all things downhill ski related.
    Everyplace has been booked for months and we don't even know if there will be any of that real Colorado Champagne Powder we are famous for.

You haven't really said much about what you and your son are looking to do or see. 4x4 Truck site seeing and camping? Is that correct?
    If so how high do you want to go? How much snow do you want to deal with?
    Do you want a campground to camp in or a short hike and woods?

All that said Moab rocks in winter if you and your son mtn bike. It will be cool to cold but you will have many trails to ride on with little pressure.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/outand...57634146240200
    We will be wide open to activities. I plan on bringing camping gear in case the weather and location permits but 4x4 roads would be a plus since I don't get to do much around central Indiana. We have done a lot of desert car/quad camping west of Phoenix in December along with exploring in the mountains. We travel a lot and have been all over Europe and Arizona. We have done backcountry hiking/camping in the smoky mountains the last 3 years and I'm just hoping for some kind of new adventure. I really appreciate everyone's input and ideas, I've been spending a lot of time on the internet looking through the locations everyone has suggested. Keep it coming. My thought on the car camping was due to the unpredictable weather it would offer the opportunity to bail if necessary but a short hike in the woods with trees to hang from would be preferable if mother nature cooperates. Gear wise, I have a WBRR with 3 season lynx and jrb 20 degree topquilt. My son would use my WBBB XLC with HG 20 Incubator (or wooki if I pull the trigger) and he uses a 29 degree rei sleeping bag as a TQ. Obviously we're not geared down for super cold which will limit us on backpacking.
    I would also be open to hotel/hiking/sightseeing in the 4x4 along with general exploring and checking out local eateries. My only experience with Colorado was a 1200 mile 4 day Harley Trip from Phoenix up to Durango, Telluride, Silverton, etc and it made me want to really check out your beautiful state. I may push this back to spring and find alternate plans if it's not optimal for what I want to do but being 46 and having a son growing up too quickly, I don't know how many more chances I'll have for our annual father/son roadies. Again thanks for all of the suggestions and keep them coming. I'm wide open to adventure and suggestions and would like to put my 4Runner to use

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12