Knot friendly but light weight cord

Hi All.

Been off the forums for a while so I don't really know what's in/out and /new/old anymore.

But on this rainy Sunday I thought I would get ready to change the suspension on my old WBB. I have one of the first models and the cord has startet getting ........ well, I don't know the english word for it, but "soft" comes to mind. I can tie a knot just fine with it but getting it undone is another thing. It's like it squeezes the line too hard and even the simplest slipknot will, after the hammock has been weighted, be almost impossible for me to loosen - I need to hang and jerk it with everything I got, to make it undone.

So I thought i would change the suspension and possible the ridgeline and while ad it why not go for some lighter material..?

The question therefor is: What is the ligthest cord that will still allow one to tie knots with it?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I tie some knots in 1/8 amsteel and spyderline. Spyderline has a sheath and a core; and is not slippery like amsteel. Knots that are tied in the bight, that is tied in the middle of rope without access to either end are my favorites. And even better is the tied in the bight, quick release and non jamming. This would be a Farrimond friction hitch. Other knots I like are marlin spike hitch, slipped half hitch backed up with two half hitches made from the slipped half hitch loop. Larks head is another favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    And I forgot alpine butterfly loop, prusik, and Zeppelin bend.
    Maybe to find lightest cord useful for knot tying; you can contact several rope manufacturing companies. Good luck. I've probably skipped some really great knots. And there are many knots that I don't know.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Knot friendly but light weight cord

And to loosen a jammed knot; there are tools used by people who work with rope--polished solid wooden fids work wonders inloosening jammed knots.
    Usually a jammed knot has a rounded shape caused by over tightening. So what I do is place the knot on floor or on a flat rock(and if I really care about the rope, I protect it with a layer of Tshirt on both sides--to keep from grinding in sand)
    Then I just stomp on the knot--stomping hard tends to flatten the knot--like a pancake. When the knot goes from round to flat--it must loosen its grip. Sometimes I stomp it two or three times with heel of my boot. Then it is loose enough to pull apart with fingers. Good luck and good night!

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    I use cub cord, which is great for friction knots on a tarp etc.

If you use a farrimond hitch then its quick release just pull the tail, and it doesn't jam super quick.
    Its best with nylon or polyester cords but you can use it on zingit.

I use double dragon knot for loops, as there is a way to get these undone after a heavy load also super strong and can be tied mid cord.
    Last edited by Tacblades; 06-29-2016 at 02:26.
    Tacblades

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Tacblades , your double dragon knot is great--I've forgotten how to tie it, as I use alpine loop--now I've got to practice double dragon loop---what a great name and tied in middle of rope and best of all resists jamming. Thanks.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    GO for a hard solid braid for knots. About any of the polyester family will work.

FWIW Amsteel degrades significantly when tied in a knot. Most hollow braids have similar issues. The bend radius is too small on the flattened braid.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

• + New Posts