Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diy vs. store

Diy vs. store

Is diy TQ and UQ cheaper and better than buying one?

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Saralynn7401 View Post

There is no way I could possibly sew/make a quilt that would come close to a HG, UGQ, WL, AE, LL, TtoTTG. These vendors exceed all expectations in workmanship and customer service.

Images
    Generally, making a from-scratch quilt is something you do because you enjoy doing it, not because it saves any money.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    DIY is only cheap if you don't count your labor and if you manage to get it right on your first try. So if you don't have some experience with sewing and have certain standards then no, DIY is definitely not cheaper.

I agree with what others have said. I made a DYI Costco UQ with cam snaps. I do love it and live in FL. That said, it still won’t keep me comfortable below 40° and I had to buy the tools, the quilts etc. while there are better DYI options, I still want a HG UQ and TQ. They have somewhat budget options that will get you 20°. You would need 4 of the Costco quilts @ $20 each plus tools and materials @ $25-$45 and it wouldn’t be anywhere near the quality of what is out there. Granted it was kinda fun what I did, but I’m still going to spend more money now and get the “right stuff” as soon as I can. Hope that helps and gl!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    diy MTN series
    Tarp
    diy winterhex/asym
    Insulation
    EE and HG
    Suspension
    Beckett or buckles
    The Hammock Gear budget quilts really changed how I look at the market. You can get all of the quality craftsmanship, warranty, customer service, etc for just a couple ounces of extra weight. I didn't really like the ION fabric at first but now that I have packed it out on a few trips, I love the feel.

The benefit of DIY is customization control you have. Colors, fabric weights, fill.
    People tend to compartmentalize themselves into IT people, and movie star people, and scientists, but when we share our perspectives about nature, we find a common denominator.
    -Nalini Nadkarni

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images

I think this question is better disected;
    1) What is your skill set? - - If you have sewing skill then lets move on to the second half of this question - if you are new to sewing or have limited experience then I agree with other comments you are going to spend more in the long run due to errors or high standards not being met by your limited skills for the production of a TQ or UQ - and again I say this because although there is a plethora of videos detailing how to do it, you really have to have some solid skills to pull these projects off.
    I think a better question to start with is what is the project? If it involves down I personally let the professionals handle this as I don't feel my skill set is good enough to tackle a project like this.
    2) What is your project - does it involve materials that need to be purchased in bulk in order to save the money? How much is your time worth? What is the cost/savings ratio and is this savings really a benefit? Is this something that you have done before? What is the project for? Do I need to purchase specialized tools to do this? All questions that I look at before tackling something.
    As I mentioned above anything besides down I have no problem trying - and as others have mentioned to me I enjoy the making almost as much as the using so my time isn't really a factor.

Definitely reach out - - Jellyfish and Kitsapcowboy are two names that come to my mind in the DIY theatre with serious skills.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    There is no way I could possibly sew/make a quilt that would come close to a HG, UGQ, WL, AE, LL, TtoTTG. These vendors exceed all expectations in workmanship and customer service.
    Quote Originally Posted by GillyGilligan View Post
    Definitely reach out - - Jellyfish and Kitsapcowboy are two names that come to my mind in the DIY theatre with serious skills.
    Thank you, GG, both for your kind words and for your elegant and well reasoned primer in answer to the OP's question.

As the HF staff have intimated above, it may indeed be the case that only fools DIY. Or read threads about DIY. Or post threads about DIY.

Somebody please break this news to Ripstop by the Roll so they can stop trying to offer us all fabric and components...

I would only add that most DIYers probably aren't trying to meet the standards of our superbly talented cottage vendors, only their own standards, which for some people may be sufficient. If that individual standard also happens to be sufficient for others, then I can only suppose that's of benefit as a basis for building and enriching community.
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 07-14-2018 at 11:03.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

If you have experience handling down and sewing baffles and don't count your labor, it may be a little bit cheaper to make a down quilt. For me personally, it's not worth it, so I bought a down top quilt. Down seems challenging to work with. Synthetic insulation is much easier.

Synthetic can be cheaper, but again, only if you don't count your time. My wife and I made the full length underquilt kit from RSBTR, so I have a full length quilt that will take me to freezing temperatures for about $80 in materials. Actually, I've used it down to the low 20s, so I'm very pleased with its performance. The look of the thing is something else entirely - crooked seams, puckers, uneven stitches. You can look at it and tell for sure it's not made professionally. However, it was a relatively fun husband/wife project and ugly or not it darn sure works. I used it last year and will continue to use it for the foreseeable future.

On the other hand, I also have bought, on sale for about the same amount of money, an AHE Jarbidge underquilt. This one is 3/4 length and I've taken it into the mid to low 20s as well. I don't say I'll never make another quilt, but it's not high on my list. Given the gap in quality between what I can do and what the pros can do, I'm quite willing to pay the pros to make any future quilts.

But that's coming from someone with limited DIY skills in terms of quilts and such. I am very much in favor of making my own stoves, whoopie slings, dogbones and other minor props. Doing so saves me money and I enjoy the work, so it's time well spent. If you feel that way about sewing, then making your own gear is for you. If you even think you might, I'd still say it might be worthwhile. But if you know you'd hate it, save the aggravation and buy a quilt from the professionals.

OutandBack, leiavoia and others have it right: DIY should be done primarily because you enjoy it for its own sake. Saving money is a secondary consideration.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

I am a professional seamstress and quite skilled with a sewing machine...i just have never sewn with down before but im thinking ill attempt it!..maybe become a cottage seller myself? )

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast