For todays episode of Bad ideas poorly excuted, I made another thing I'm sure I didn't need and may never use, but I had the idea and I wanted to see how it'd work. Of course if its already been done, my apologies to whomever my sub-conscience stole this from.

So its basically a large tube of sil-nylon, with draw strings on each end. If you're going to wear if for a rain skirt you open it up an step into it. Tighten one of the drawstrings around your waist, then grab the other end and sort of turn it inside out as you bring the other draw string up to your waist and tighten it. It is now a double layer rain skirt.
To turn it into a gear hammock, you get back out and get it back to full length. Pull the drawstrings all the way, and now you basically have a double layer hammock. It will require additional cordage to suspend it. I just used some string as I'm nearly out of zing-it. But I just larks headed the string on below the ball of fabric and hung it up. It seems to hold air a bit, but it also seems to hold gear, so mission accomplished.

Its easy enough to walk in, but big step ups might be a little tight, so maybe I'd make the next one a bit bigger around.

There's a way you could probably use it as a pack cover, but I'm sure I couldn't clearly explain it, and its currently a bit too small for that anyway.

Here's the big tube:

Here's your sexy model:

Gear hammock mode: