Hi All,
I am pretty new to hammock camping but not new to long distance hiking (2 previous A.T. Thru's). I went on a 6 day hike the other week and brought a hennessy backpacker ultralight with me. I don't think I'd call it an ultralight set up but I really enjoyed sleeping in the hammock...so much so I have ordered a warbonnet blackbird and mamajamba tarp that will hopefully arrive this week.
The hennessy is obviously set up with the tarp attached to the suspension. I have snakeskins so this worked out well for me as it could just pull down the skins and tarp and hammock are all in one so set up took just a couple minutes and everything rolled out at once. I liked this set up for it's ease and quickness of immediate shelter.
I'll be playing with how to set up the new warbonnet hammock and tarp once it arrives but based on lots of stuff I have read through here it looks like everyone mostly stores their tarp separate from their hammock...I presume to make sure a potentially wet tarp doesn't get their hammock also wet? I love the idea of everything in one snakeskin and everything attached, string up the suspension, pull back the snakeskins and stake things out and all done vs. set up tarp, set up hammock.
I'd appreciate insight and issues more experienced hammock campers have discovered related to tarp attached to hammock suspension full time and all in one snakeskin vs tarp set up independent of hammock and both items stored separately in the pack.
Thanks in advance.