I know someone from this great site has backpacked here. We are thinking of a trip this summer or next. Just wanting ideas and tips to get started.

From what I gather in Denali you get a permit for a unit. You have to camp in the unit on the days you have it permitted for. You can travel outside of that unit but must camp in the permitted units. Put together multiple units for a end to end or loop hike, or base camp and day hike to units outside of the unit you are camping in. There are no trails. Just choose a route and go for it. Ride the buses in on the one road and get dropped off. When you are done hiking just head to the road and catch the next bus available.

Is there a guide book available for each unit? I'm having trouble finding information on individual unit info, best units for scenery, wildlife. I've also read that there is no bad hike in Denali. Would love to rent packrafts and try that also.

Also we want to head down the Kenai Peninsula and make a day or two sea kayaking. Visit Kenai Fjords National Park, Seward, Whittier, maybe Homer. Not sure what are the must sees or is everything really good.

This may need to wait until 2018. I would like at least two weeks in Alaska. There is just plenty to do there and I'm trying to get a feel for what is there.