I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I like your style!!!! Keep messin' around and experimenting ..... the best way to find your hammock groove.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I went this route for awhile. It works fairly well until the temps drop, then the dead air spaces show up. You can put shockcord on the foot end similar to an UQ to help shape the bag on the bottom. I put a tarp clip that had a small hook on the bottom of the head end and would reach under and hook it to a small loop of shockcord that was attached to the ropes at the headend. This way you can control the dead air spots on the bottom.

BillyBob hit on the main issues. I would suggest getting the bottom fixed first then you will have a dead air spot on top where most hammocks hold the bag off your chest. Use extra clothing or a small quilt here and it works fairly well

I have sewn up the holes in my SB's now and moved on to quilts but it did work until the temps went really low. I would not suggest buying a new SB and trying to convert but using an old one is a lot of fun experimenting

Hammock
    DIY 1.9 rs gathered end.
    Tarp
    DIY 11 X 11
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-glides/web
    Images
    I have 2 old army down sleeping bags I/m thinking about trying this with. Do you guys cut the mummy hood off, or leave it on? These are barely long enough to cover my shoulders, so I may have to sew two pieces together to make it long enough. Do these get pretty claustrophobic? Do you need to use a larger bag usually? I'm about 220 lb. so need something decent sized.

Images
    Edit: delete- just realized this is an old thread to which I had given about the same reply already, more or less.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-20-2010 at 22:48.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12