Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    Doesn't sound like a fee problem, sounds like a fishing problem.
    Yeah thats the truth . Actually I only fished one night with a handline while I was camping on the St Joseph on my little lot . Caught 3 bullheads , fried em up in the morning with cornmeal for breakfast . Definately worth the 34 bucks .

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    O.E.M. WBBB Straps
    This has been the first hike in license fees in 15 years. I always get an all species, which oddly went down $3 for residents????

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    These things are always a bit touchy. Michigan is a state whose resources are used to a great extent by folks who don't live here. It is a great benefit to the state and also a burden. Infrastructure, natural resources, etc. are all impacted by this. I have seen estimates that nearly 16% of the state sales tax in Michigan comes from folks that are out of state. Tourism is an important part of the economy. We have lots of rivers and lakes.

Yet that is only one part of economic participation. Working and living in a state makes tremendous impact as well. I think most states have mechanisms for capturing more from non-residents for "using" their states, Michigan is no exception. Property tax is more for people who do not reside here. Spending a summer or a limited amount of time is not full economic participation.

And some people do charge more for gasoline in different states depending on the road tax. Illinois is a good example. Gasoline is not the same in all states because of variations in the tax structure.

So, while this may not sit well, as a Michigan resident, I understand it. I would guess that most of us upon close examination in our own states would find similar structures for capturing non-resident revenue.

Most importantly, we each have to determine what is worth spending our money on. Wetting a line is fun for me, no matter where I go. I view it as a much greater value than a meal at a high end restaurant, a month of cable or other things we often don't seem to consider exhoborant. There are costs to providing the fisheries we have here. I appreciate everyone who participates in contributing to such.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by riverjoe View Post
    Yeah thats the truth . Actually I only fished one night with a handline while I was camping on the St Joseph on my little lot . Caught 3 bullheads , fried em up in the morning with cornmeal for breakfast . Definately worth the 34 bucks .
    Takes me to my childhood, did much the same. Fished them out of a farm pond. Fun to fish at night. The St. Joe flows about a mile from my office. The upper stretches are really pretty.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Toll roads are a good example of other states digging into visitors pockets.

We offer free roads for visitors. ('cept Mackinaw Bridge and the tunnels out of Detroit.)
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    These things are always a bit touchy. Michigan is a state whose resources are used to a great extent by folks who don't live here. It is a great benefit to the state and also a burden. Infrastructure, natural resources, etc. are all impacted by this. I have seen estimates that nearly 16% of the state sales tax in Michigan comes from folks that are out of state. Tourism is an important part of the economy. We have lots of rivers and lakes.

Yet that is only one part of economic participation. Working and living in a state makes tremendous impact as well. I think most states have mechanisms for capturing more from non-residents for "using" their states, Michigan is no exception. Property tax is more for people who do not reside here. Spending a summer or a limited amount of time is not full economic participation.

And some people do charge more for gasoline in different states depending on the road tax. Illinois is a good example. Gasoline is not the same in all states because of variations in the tax structure.

So, while this may not sit well, as a Michigan resident, I understand it. I would guess that most of us upon close examination in our own states would find similar structures for capturing non-resident revenue.

Most importantly, we each have to determine what is worth spending our money on. Wetting a line is fun for me, no matter where I go. I view it as a much greater value than a meal at a high end restaurant, a month of cable or other things we often don't seem to consider exhoborant. There are costs to providing the fisheries we have here. I appreciate everyone who participates in contributing to such.
    Very well said! I thought about posting in this thread, however what I was going to say would not have been found funny by those that are complaining.
    Its a proven fact that 78.4% of all statstics are made up on the spot.

Stone's Videos

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Unfortunately noone seemed to read my previous posts carefully. Or I didn't come across clear. Will have to abandon this one...

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    All MI fees were adjusted this year with full support of many well respected organizations and a lot of the "sportsmen" I know.

From the DNR FAQ:
    Why is the cost of the non-resident fishing license increasing so much?*
    Previously the cost of a non-resident fishing license in Michigan was $42. This was lower than every other Great Lakes state, except for Ohio. An increase in the cost of the non-resident fishing license would reflect the popularity and value of Michigan's fisheries and allow the DNR to create additional world-class opportunities.

Ad seen above the OP needs to compare apples to apples, too. The eliminated the restricted version of the license and now only sell the all species licenses. That will lower the % increased. Have o bust out your salmon tackle!
    Last edited by packeagle; 03-07-2014 at 16:20.

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Quote Originally Posted by packeagle View Post
    All MI fees were adjusted this year with full support of many well respected organizations and a lot of the "sportsmen" I know.

From the DNR FAQ:
    Why is the cost of the non-resident fishing license increasing so much?*
    Previously the cost of a non-resident fishing license in Michigan was $42. This was lower than every other Great Lakes state, except for Ohio. An increase in the cost of the non-resident fishing license would reflect the popularity and value of Michigan's fisheries and allow the DNR to create additional world-class opportunities.

Ad seen above the OP needs to compare apples to apples, too. The eliminated the restricted version of the license and now only sell the all species licenses. That will lower the % increased. Have o bust out your salmon tackle!

Did not realize that salmon is now included ( doesn't really do me much good , since Im so far up the St Joseph a salmon would need a motor boat to get there , and be able to portage around a bunch of dams ) but it puts things in perspective a bit .
    BTW last I checked Indiana is a great lake state with non res license at $35
    admittedly not the tourist attraction Michigan is .
    If the fees are used for improving the fisheries I don't have a problem with the increase . How about salmon ladders at Three Rivers etc .

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123