MI-Mason Tract/Canoe Harbor CG, Feb 21-23, 2014

Heading up Friday afternoon Feb. 21st to the Mason Tract and hanging for the weekend at Canoe Harbor State Forest Campground with another HF member. Road is seasonal, so we will most likely park at M-72/Canoe Harbor Road then hike/snowshoe the 1.5-2 miles into the CG. We'll basecamp there and do some hiking/snowshoeing around the Au Sable River area. Anyone interested?

Links of for more info:
    http://www.michigantrailmaps.com/member-profile/41/51/
    http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandt...d=73&type=SFPW
    Last edited by michigandave; 02-10-2014 at 12:37.

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    Would Like To But That's The Wifes Birthday Weekend.
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

Hammock
    Dogger special
    Tarp
    HG CF 12' camo
    Insulation
    HG Buro & Incu 0+2
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    Looking forward to this trip. Just hope I get clearance from my knee surgeon. I do believe HHS newbie is going too.
    Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I know that CG and it's a nice area..unfortunately, that's a work weekend and I have to help with a scout Polar Bear outing the next weekend..

Quote Originally Posted by Donk_67 View Post
    I know that CG and it's a nice area..unfortunately, that's a work weekend and I have to help with a scout Polar Bear outing the next weekend..
    Since you've been there before, any suggestions on where the best spots to hang are? We're hoping to be close to the river and I see that there are group sites/landings near it. I've highlighted the area of interest in the image. Enjoy your scout outing!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 silnylon
    Insulation
    Yeti/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    I stayed there in early march last year. Hiked in from parking right off m-72. Nice hike although a little tricky at about 8pm and dark as trail wasn't well marked. I couldn't find a good hanging spot down by the river but choose a clump trees just up the hill between tenting spots. Given the snowmobile tracks through camp don't be surprised if you have visitors this weekend. I selected by trees to provide some cover if riders came tearing through camp at night (they didn't). I didn't want to be the "clothesline" that slowed them down. In the daylight, you can probably find a better spot just outside the group area at the river. The tenting spots are devoid of trees other than the perimeter. I was very tempted to camp along the mason tract pathway since it was winter but stuck to the campground per the rules. Had a nice hike down about half way and back. I tried doing a small loop but a small bridge was out down the trial a ways. I ignored all the markings of trail closed and eventually found my self bushwhacking. I think that side trail has been closed for a while but someone has blazed with pink tape... That ran out and left me bushwhacking. Good times. Enjoy your hike!

Thanks for the insight on the trail/camp area, Boywilderness. We'll be getting in there late Friday afternoon, so it should give us plenty of time for some to look for the perfect hanging spots down by the river/group area.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    GT
    Insulation
    Blown In
    Suspension
    Nope, ridgid!
    I live nearby and that's a nice spot. Not sure if anyone's a crosscountry skier but the trail is in good shape.There is also a "get together" that Sunday at nearby North Higgins Lake State park and new ski trail "Chickadee Woods". Stop in even if you're not a skier. There will be a bonfire and beverages!Starting @ 2. Look up Northbound Outfitters in Grayling for details.

Thanks for the info on the new ski trail. Going to have to postpone this trip for now and hope for some better weather conditions.

• + New Posts