DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    For hot and wet, it's hard to beat a poncho liner for durability, warmth, and cost. It isn't the lightest item out there (~1.5 lbs for ~45º F/7º C), but they're cheap, readily available (at least here in the States), and easy to use in an hammock.

Something like that would probably be best for the temps expected. A lightweight, cheap synthetic blanket that you can use as a top quilt and not worry if you beat it up some.

Note that this assumes you've got some pack space for it (see above, regarding "synthetic"); I have no idea if you're taking more gear and need the space in your pack that down would give you.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by j-coop View Post
    It is correct. I have never slept in a hammock before. I have however napped in one before I'm not new to camping though, I don't expect to get the comfort of a bed from a hammock.
    Napping is different from sleeping. A lot of people can nap in a hammock, but not everybody can sleep in it. Do yourself a favour, get a hammock and sleep in it for at least 3 nights before you go on your trip. After this you should know if hammock camping is for you or not.

Most people on this forum actually like sleeping in a hammock better than in a bed, myself included. Many have replaced their beds with a hammock at home...

I think I will go with the DD Frontline hammock as it has the bug net integrated and features a double layer (also cheap/easy to aquire). In comparison to the WBBB it seems that the bug net of the DD will keep any kind of creatures further away from me.
    I never had a problem with the bugnet of my WBBB being anywhere close to me. But since it seems to be easier and cheaper for you to get the DD, go for it.

One thing that I have not really thought of before is the insulation part. I do have a Thermarest ProLite 4 in regular length, but I'm not sure if it will be overkill for the trip. Maybe as you suggested I should get a CCF mat instead.
    I don't think it will be overkill. You obviously have never tried spending a longer time in an uninsulated hammock at the temperatures you are expecting. After a while it will feel like lying on ice. Nice when it's really hot. Not so nice at all other times. The ProLite has the advantage of not being as "sweaty" as a CF pad. I believe that is due to the lining, which feels more like fabric. If you tend to sweat while sleeping anyway, a pad of any kind will intensify the problem. And a CF pad will be worse then a self-inflating pad.

In any case, if you go with a pad, you will need additional insulation in the shoulder area. You can get a torso-sized foam pad for that, or cut up a standard sized one.

Now my original thought was to take just a sleeping bag liner like such
    http://www.cocoon.at/eng/show.php?do...&prod=12&fab=0
    and possibly a small blanket like the Thermarest Tech Blanket.
    I have several Cocoon liners, and they would not work for me. You can see through the fabric. It's less than wearing a t-shirt. If you sleep very hot and temperatures don't go below 25°C, you might be OK (but only if you have additional insulation from below). But I wouldn't risk it.

But now you guys got me thinking and I am considering taking my Cumulus down quilt instead.
    http://www.sleepingbags-cumulus.com/...g-bags,85.html
    I just do not know if down will work with the high humidity.
    I have had my down sleeping bag with me in SE Asia, and it worked fine. But I visited for only 3 weeks. Don't know if/when the high humidity would start taking an effect. I would say, 6 weeks are probably not a problem - unless you manage to get the down wet (e.g. in a downpour). But that's just my guess.

Any suggestions for a setup?

Thermarest+Liner+Blanket
    CCF+Liner+Blanket

Thermarest+Liner+Quilt
    CCF+Liner+Quilt

Thermarest+Quilt
    CCF+Quilt

or something completely differnt..like a cheap/light synthetic sleeping bag.
    Nobody will be able to say what the best option is for you. Again: get the hammock, and then test what you already have. You will quickly find out what doesn't work.

Since you said initially that you are DIY-minded, my suggestion would be to make yourself a synthetic underquilt. I have not made one, yet, but it seems to be easy. I would assume easier than building a WBBB clone. Extremtextil sells Climashield Apex, which is not super expensive, and which will make a very light and tough underquilt. It is also not susceptible to humidity, which would make it a perfect choice for tropical climates. And there will be no problem with condensation/sweat pooling under you (as in the case of pads).

Sorry, it is my first time in hot/tropic climate and I am just not sure what to expect.
    Better be prepared for the weather to be colder and wetter than you thought it would be. You always have the choice to not use what you brought - but you cannot use what you didn't bring.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    My two cents? I wouldn't take a hammock on a trip like this unless I'd spent time in it and gotten used to one before hand. I wouldn't go into this with new gear. Just my opinion.

Gideon

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12