Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    I carry one all the time (seasonally appropriate). Good for rain - I still wear a rain jacket but usually don't have to use the hood or zip the jacket fully; great wind break for cooking or resting (great at the end of an a-framed tarp when you're on the ground); fashion statement

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I breifly considered the Snow Peak or Montbell umbrellas around 4.5-5.5oz, but I don't like how they close. You have to fold back each spoke before closing. Not a problem if you're not frequently opening and closing I guess. But for the compact size and about the weight of an iPhone, that's pretty darn handy.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    This is a copy of the Go-Lite umbrella (Go-Lite went out of business) that I use.

Last day sale today on this for only $35. This is a great piece of gear. Loop it under my sternum strap on my backpack and it is hands-free coverage.

https://mytrailco.com/collections/ac...hrome-umbrella

Hammock
    Dream H.: Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ;Z-seat
    Thanks, CNeil. Some googling tells me that the MyTrailCo umbrella is identical to Gossamer Gear's -- both sourced from Euroschirm.

Hammock
    not found yet
    Tarp
    not found yet
    Insulation
    not found yet
    Suspension
    not found yet
    A can say where I romp through the woods just too tight for an umbrella. Though I won't knock one when I am out on my kayak or a boat they are amazing on hot sunny days on the water. So I could imagine them being real nice to have on hikes that have enough room for them.

Though I also have the issue of being six foot five and no matter how large the umbrella is during a rain heavy enough to use one my legs get soaking wet, so while I could avoid the jacket i would still have to wear rain pants or really high gaiters.

I would like to point out however that the article stated a few times that you vent a large amount of heat from your head this myth has been debunked for some time now so a sun hat isn't going to make you hotter exactly its still extra clothing and less exposed area to the open air. A more fair point here is an umbrella provides a micro climate of shade which makes it easier to stay cool by being able to expose more skin without fear of sunburn for heat exhaust as well as keeping the sun off you directly.

Never the less though thanks for the article and anyone hiking where they can use one I would imagine it would be a great investment I know I almost never take my kayak out now without one makes the difference between a miserable day under the sun and a relaxing day on the water for me.
    On the quest to find the ultimate hang by merely enjoying every hang along the way.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Forgot to mention that I will never go anywhere without rain gear.The umbrella or the poncho,one or the other,is up for grabs depending on season of the year.A shell layer seems just too important to leave at home.

Hammock
    ENO Sub-7
    Insulation
    EE Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Since I started hiking, I've been completely confused by the rarity of umbrellas. Water falls from the sky, and heat blasts from above. These are problems that have been solved thousands of years ago. Even the word comes from "ombra" which is latin for "shade."

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Ye olde Swing Trek Lite Flex umbrella came in handy today in over 90 degree heat,rigged for hands free operation so I could use my poles.It was no problem to put away while in the shaded tight areas in the woods but was a lifesaver out in the open as the sun was really beating down.

Hammock
    Mayan, WarbonnetRR XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Suspension
    Whoopee! Hitchcock
    I'm an umbrella chump. I bought a $75 backpacking umbrella for trekking in Japan during the rainy seIf you have a very high probability of frequent hard rain. In the mountains on Yakushima Island, off the southern coast of Japan, I saw more rain in one day than....all of us together have seen in all our lives. Yeah the expensive umbrella worked, about as well as a cheap umbrella. My camera, iPhone and even my thoughts got soaking wet.
    And if, as I did a few times, you forget and leave behind a $75 umbrella...ya got to go back and get it... The magical attachment set-up for my backpack straps worked in my living room, worked once on the trail. The rest of the time they were a complete joke. Super strength, wind-proof? No. Whatever you do don't buy a fancy umbrella. The world's 'highest rated' back packing umbrella? It would've been worth $75 had the first time I opened it, $63 cash fell out. You can now find large very nice umbrellas for $5, $10 in one of those overpriced tourist stops. Or one of those super-cheapo compact ones, for $3.50? Those are good too, if you lose it, loan it, break it? No worries. Hands free? It's easier and better to jury rig one of these to be hands free than to use the gimmicky dohicky I paid all that money for.
    Another thing about umbrellas: You have to leave them outside. All umbrellas in these bins are of equal value and indeterminate ownership.

Hammock
    Chameleon, SLD, Hennessey, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Planning a DIY
    Insulation
    OneTigris UQ
    Suspension
    Multiple
    Thanks for sharing

• + New Posts
  • Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast