DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    Glad to see these videos being put to good use. Like I said earlier I would probably forego the top cap thing and just go semi-open on top.
    I agree with this and ditching the top portion of the sock is the way to go. Many of us have tried to use socks in deep cold (below -15f) and all the frozen snowy condensation isn't worth it at all.
    A great example is in some of Shug's videos where he uses the frost bib. He is sitting in an open hammock and he has so much frozen moisture that he made a bib to catch it all. Which I think is a brilliant idea.

Socks are excellent for hammocks and I like them a lot, just not in deep cold. If you're planning on going to the FBH you should look into other options as the cold out there can be damaging.

Fronkey

Hammock
    The Ninja (HikingDad Special)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    NF Down DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Well at this point, I think I am going to try my original idea, with cotton canvas out and some sort of fleece on the inside. I think they're are too many variables from person to person to claim one option over the other. Also (with no offense intended lol) I am not a mouth breather. At least not when I sleep, That alone can cut down on tons of moisture inside the sock, plus I have an Idea for a body vapor barrier already in mind that would be utilized with sock. I'll let everyone know and see how this thing-a-ma-jig turns out. But if we could let's keep this thread going. I am getting a lot of good opinions on fabrics for cold weather

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Red's design is best for deep cold, IMO. Vent over your head. Skip the fleece layer in the sock in favor of more insulation close to your body.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    All good advice thus far. As to fabric choice, I have found Pertex Microlight really does wick moisture to the outside surface where it evaporates faster. My next sock will use Momentum 90 v. 3 (more breatheable), which is reported to work in a similar fashion. I've used 1.1 oz ripstop, which is workable, but not quite as good. Nothing is perfect. Combine fabric choice with other strategies. I'd suggest using ripstop for a first sock. You may not need to spend $$$ on the "best" materials, as they are only "somewhat better."

For deep cold only, use cotton. Good luck!
    I've had success with Pertex 4, never tried Microlight though. Frost doesn't seem to affect the breathabilty of Pertex much.

I use a kind of part sock (My Pertex 4 hammock has a velcro closure all along the hem) that contains myself, top insulation and down mat. My breath vents unimpeded. It seals up to my neck, just leaving my Cold Avenger clad face poking out.

Images
    If I was heading to this hang I would go back to the 2010,2011,2012 Trip Reports and see what was working and what was not.
    There are many great videos on this outing.
    I have applied many of their tips and tricks to my winter hanging.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    22 degrees 25-45mph winds the other night had me wishing I had a sock.

The heat being robbed from my underquilt was ridiculous and I'm not certain how much 1.1oz pure finish ripstop would have helped with that. Maybe enough, I don't know.

I'm going to try some 1.9 DWR (because that's what I have) for the bottom of the sock and some pure finish 1.7oz for the top.

The 1.9oz pure finish ripstop on the XLC hasn't created condensation concerns yet in 20-30 degree weather but we have had low humidity (35-45%) for the most part.

Just need a solution for 0-32 degrees with wind and snow for others in the clan or my winter camping will be solo.
    This issue is why I use ccf in the serious cold. The downside of UQs in the cold is the heat stealing wind. It doesn't take much. Solutions are the sock like you said, or an UQ protector, or pitch the tarp to mitigate the air movement. The tarp pitch helps, but is not perfect if the wind is really blowing. The UQ protector will cause condensation in the UQ. Not a big deal on an overnight, but for an extended trip this will add up and you will lose the insulative properties of the down. Some suggest a thin pad to decrease the condensation issue in the UQ. I just dump the UQ in the cold and go to pads. I still use my poncho (waterproof) as a garlington taco to stop wind. The ccf doesn't lose insulative value from condensation over time. CCF is light and warm, its downside is bulk. It is very bulky. YMMV.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    This issue is why I use ccf in the serious cold. The downside of UQs in the cold is the heat stealing wind. It doesn't take much. Solutions are the sock like you said, or an UQ protector, or pitch the tarp to mitigate the air movement. The tarp pitch helps, but is not perfect if the wind is really blowing. The UQ protector will cause condensation in the UQ. Not a big deal on an overnight, but for an extended trip this will add up and you will lose the insulative properties of the down. Some suggest a thin pad to decrease the condensation issue in the UQ. I just dump the UQ in the cold and go to pads. I still use my poncho (waterproof) as a garlington taco to stop wind. The ccf doesn't lose insulative value from condensation over time. CCF is light and warm, its downside is bulk. It is very bulky. YMMV.
    On a -15F night, no wind to light breeze, what thickness of ccf would you recommend? I'm assuming you are using a -20F SB on top?

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    The key is relative humidity, right? Air evaporates even ice crystals if it is dry enough. If the air has already reached saturation there is build-up in the microclimate of the house or hammock, which can only be solved by some movement of air -- a balancing act.

It seems the cotton canvas ones would be better because the fabric itself has an ability to absorb/release moisture, which the plastic ones do not. With a pulk in snow I'd be tempted to take a sheep's fleece to sleep upon in the hammock and use a canvas sock.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    The Ninja (HikingDad Special)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    NF Down DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I was just at HR Harris ( a fabric place ) and was looking at a large swath of sheep pelt for just such and idea MDSH but at 50 bucks a pop it was too much for too little.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    I Like both of WV's choice, Pertex Microlight or Momentum.

Cotton breaths well but the synthetic fabrics are hydrophobic, so tend to wick condensation better and they would be much lighter when wet.

I find that using my nylon ripstop sock works well as long as there is a top vent to allow warmer moist to air to vent. This in turn draws the drier outside air in through the fabric, helping to keep it dry.

I have not had any condensation issues yet 20 to 50 degrees, 50 to 90% humidity.

I have found approximately 20 deg f temp difference on the inside. I consider that a good compromise between ventilation and warmth and weather protection.
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast