Hammock
    Hammaka Parachute
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    When I'm in the woods, I'm usually camping out for recreational or spiritual purposes. Occasionally I'll hike just to see the sights and get in some exercise. I like the hammock because it's lightweight and easily portable, but also I have back problems so it saves me the discomfort of ground camping. It's win-win as far as I'm concerned!

I'm a long distance hiker that uses a hammock some of the time.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    BW webbing
    Hammock Camper for sure, If you see me hiking it is becouse my motorcycle has broken down and I do not have cell coverage.
    I hammock camp so I can ride more than one day at a time and not have to go home.
    I use to overload my bike trying to be comfortable when I camped. Since I have started hainging I have taken most of the load off my bikes and find I am more comfortable.

Hammock
    Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles & webbing
    I count myself as a hiker first, but every time I think of using a tent or just a tarp I come back to using a hammock. Kinda strange story but I love my hammock because it just feels safe. I was backpacking a few years back when I felt incredibly sick and fatigued. I stopped for a quick snooze in my hammock and I slept for nearly 24 hours. When I woke up I managed to hike to where I could get a cell signal. Slept several more hours in my hammock. Finally got through to my wife and hiked out to the nearest road (about 7 miles at that point); she took me to the ER where I was diagnosed with an advanced leukemia. Now in remission, but during that trying hike out when I could barely stay awake and hike, my hammock felt like a life preserver. It was a place I could retreat to regain my strength for the next part of that ordeal. May sound weird but my hammock is a sort of refuge from bad things. Still hiking.

Hammock
    wbbb 1.1
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I like backpacking as light as possible. It feels good to hike far and fast, and I can do that best with a lighter pack. It's not a huge deal most of the time, but I do like the aspect of having a hammock as a light piece of gear and I think they are amazing to sleep in. And, if weather permits you can gaze at stars and wake up to some spectacular views right outside your hammock.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybakedhammock View Post
    And, if weather permits you can gaze at stars and wake up to some spectacular views right outside your hammock.
    I love nights like that!! I really try not to spoil myself with weather clear enough to skip the tarp altogether. But I do get lucky with dry weather quite often. Of course being in range for data on my phone for weather reports really helps!

Hammock
    diy wildcrafter
    Tarp
    UGQ preproduction
    Insulation
    UGQ all the way
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I am more of a hammock camper then a hammock hiker. While I sometimes like to put the miles in most of the time my hikes are strolls of only a few miles. I enjoy just sitting in the middle of nowhere and soaking it all in. I also enjoy smaller groups and solo outings over huge gatherings.
    welcome to planet earth no one gets out alive

Definitely a hammock camper here.

Motorcycle Hammock camper.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hybrid/varies
    Hiker here.

I enjoy camping, but I am a hiker at heart. My knees like me better when I'm moving, and I get bored staying in one place. I've been hanging for a decade or so.

I would like to thru-hike the PCT, but there's zero chance of getting the time away from work necessary to do that. So my goal is to get into 20-miles-per-day shape and stay that way until I retire in 20 years or so. It's going to be a challenge, what with wonky knees and arthritis, but it hasn't slowed me down over the 30 years I've already put up with it, so I don't plan on giving up now. Besides, in 10 years or so I can get my knees replaced (bionics?). In the meantime I'm determined to use them until they no longer work. Then I'll drag myself up the trail if I have to.

Movement is life. Rest is for when I'm dead.
    "Every human being holds something holy. We can all have some respect for that." - Omar Marzouk

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast