Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images

Cold Weather Bugnet

Seems almost oxymoronic to put those words together like that. Anyways, the reason for this topic is talk about utilizing an item normally set aside for warmer climates, for use in cold weather climates. I have learned over the past few cold seasons that a bugnet can give a good balance of wind block and ventilation for for certain cold weather conditions in a hammock. It still allows some air movement but blocks the sharp, cold winds from whirling around in your hammock.
    While I always try to choose a location where the hammock will have the least amount of wind and angle the hammock into the wind, I have noticed that wind direction changes often and can be difficult to predict. So the bugnet seems to be very effective for me for keeping any wind from whirling around in my hammock.

Am I alone in my logic? I am still pretty new to hammock camping in the cold so my experience is still limited; I only have about 20 nights under my belt in temps below 40°F, but this is my experience with bugnets and cold winds so far.
    Thoughts?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Up here in Minnesota I tend to expel a lot of moisture when I sleep and if I close the bugnet I get condensation for sure all over it. So I never use one in winter.
    That breath condensation also covers my TQ so I came up with what I call a Frost-Bib to catch it. Works well and I use it all winter on my cold hangs.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Seems almost oxymoronic to put those words together like that. Anyways, the reason for this topic is talk about utilizing an item normally set aside for warmer climates, for use in cold weather climates. I have learned over the past few cold seasons that a bugnet can give a good balance of wind block and ventilation for for certain cold weather conditions in a hammock. It still allows some air movement but blocks the sharp, cold winds from whirling around in your hammock.
    While I always try to choose a location where the hammock will have the least amount of wind and angle the hammock into the wind, I have noticed that wind direction changes often and can be difficult to predict. So the bugnet seems to be very effective for me for keeping any wind from whirling around in my hammock.

Am I alone in my logic? I am still pretty new to hammock camping in the cold so my experience is still limited; I only have about 20 nights under my belt in temps below 40°F, but this is my experience with bugnets and cold winds so far.
    Thoughts?
    I like this idea. I made a new bug net Fronkey style because my old eno guardian bug net was so hot. I am going to try this out in cold weather this season using the eno and I will let you know how it works out. Great Idea!!
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Up here in Minnesota I tend to expel a lot of moisture when I sleep and if I close the bugnet I get condensation for sure all over it. So I never use one in winter.
    That breath condensation also covers my TQ so I came up with what I call a Frost-Bib to catch it. Works well and I use it all winter on my cold hangs.
    Shug

Thanks for that info on it Shug, I do use a frost bib when it gets nice and cold
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I've noticed a marked difference in internal/external temps when using the integrated bug net on my HH in the winter.

Seems to be a few degrees warmer inside the hammock/netting, and as you'd pointed out, the air has less/no movement, also reducing draft loss.

I'm not sure why, but I've not experienced a lot of condensation so far in my setup, but the coldest I've been out was around 18F.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I NEVER sleep with my WBBB unzipped. Mainly because it's just more comfortable since I sleep at an angle putting me 1"-2" away from the zipper. Also to block wind like you said.

Hammock
    11'WBBB Multicam
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba w do
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ X 2
    Suspension
    Adj webbing

Question

How does this sound? You take a hammock sock and you cut an area off the top. Area would look like hatch on jet fighter. You replace that area with netting. You have some protection on bottom and sides. It would be a hybrid. You could sew pockets where sil joins netting on inside.
    Call It star fighter sock.
    BigRed77

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRed77 View Post
    How does this sound? You take a hammock sock and you cut an area off the top. Area would look like hatch on jet fighter. You replace that area with netting. You have some protection on bottom and sides. It would be a hybrid. You could sew pockets where sil joins netting on inside.
    BigRed77
    Already building it right now...lol...Great minds think alike...

This next hammock I am working on has a removable bug net with a removable top cover that also partially unzips to reveal a bugnet so that the top cover can be pealed back 1/3rd of the way and the bugnet still provides a wind block and allows ventilation.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRed77 View Post
    BigRed77
    I tried something like that in my sock trial days. Still got too much condensation for my comfort. I am a moisture bomb))))
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    11'WBBB Multicam
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba w do
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ X 2
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    That's what I'm talking about. How long Is your hammock?
    BigRed77

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast