SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    June 2016 Update since I was fantasizing about going back again:

Here's the costs when I went in 2013: $35 for the ferry, $33 for camping fee, permit and parking ($68 total plus gas and food for trip). Now the ferry is $40 (increase of $5), parking is still $2 per day, NPS SBD Park entrance pass went from $10 to $15 (7 day permit), and backcountry camping went from $5 to $10 per night (group of 1-4).

So, in 2016 dollars, for my 4 day trip, the updated cost is $103 plus gas and food. It's still a great place to visit and if you travel in a group of 4 or less, it's not bad...Solo travelers take a hit, but for a place that has some of the best beaches in Michigan, North Manitou rocks

This trip is on my to do list for sure. Updated costs are still pretty cheap compared to some of the hunting trips I've been on over the years.
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    Sounds like a great trip!

HY
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I just now came across this post. What a nice TR. My buddy and I hiked there several years ago and your TR brought back some good memories. I don't know how those people could have missed the ranger's speech about the 300-foot rule. When we were there. Our ranger was very emphatic about it. As a matter of fact, we heard him say, several times, that we needed to be 300 feet from water. We ran into him on our last night there and he sat around a campfire with us and a few other hikers for a couple hours just talking and telling us "ranger" stories. He mentioned that he had been on patrol in the days after we arrived and that he had issued several tickets for violations of the 300-foot rule. He was a great guy. I still remember his name -- Kevin Kavanagh. My trip report and pics are posted on my website: http://briansplace.ynt1.com/backpack...m/2002nm_1.php

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    YouTube Channel
    Great Lakes Backpacker
    https://www.youtube.com/GreatLakesBackpacker534

We went with our Boy Scout troop a few years ago. Had a great time. I remember there being two posts in the ground 300' apart. We paced it off to be sure we complied with the rules. We walked past some great campsites as we were pacing off 300' but rules are rules.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff in MI View Post
    We went with our Boy Scout troop a few years ago. Had a great time. I remember there being two posts in the ground 300' apart. We paced it off to be sure we complied with the rules. We walked past some great campsites as we were pacing off 300' but rules are rules.
    People actually following rules??!?!?? I always appreciate that

I can't tell you how many times I see people hanging literally 6' from the river or lakes when that rule applies (especially on the manistee river trail). They must think they are special. The rules are there for a reason and wish everyone followed them.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234