Hennessy expedition assy.
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    DYI whoopie sling

To hot with my hennessy hammock

I just came back from a canoe trip in Massassauga Provincial Park (Ontario, Canada) and sleep for my first 2 night in the hammock. It was really hot and was not able to sleep at all. The third night I lasted about 15min before water was dripping off me and went sleeping with my daughter in the tent. My hammock is a hennessy Hammock with side zip, the tarp was not set up at all and have a 40 degree under quilt. I think because of the bug net the area was too hot. Anybody have this problem during the hot summer days. There was not any breeze at all, just mosquitos.

Anybody has the same experience and want to share.....

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Did you take off or vent the underquilt?
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

I am new to this hammock camping with only two trips under my belt. I have read where someone used a small battery operated fan clipped to the ridge line until the temps drop. What was the temperature at night there?

Images
    Add layers for warmth, remove layers to cool off. Loosen or remove the UQ / TQ. Strip down to boxers. What was the lowest temperature that night?

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    DYI whoopie sling
    I was only wearing boxer and the temperature was around 20 celsius.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    DYI whoopie sling
    I did not think of venting the under quilt, probably would of help a bit.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Yeah, you totally have to undo the underquilt somehow - I'm chilled under 21C without an underquilt; you should be always be able to be cooler in a hammock vs. a tent.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    If you are going to vent or take off your UQ and there are mosquitos around, just be aware the little buggers can bite you through the bottom of the hammock. Assuming you can get it in Canada, permethrin is your friend. Spray your hammock and let it dry before using. The mosquitos will avoid you and your hammock. Do not use DEET on your or your hammock. It can damage the nylon of you hammock.

If you can not get permethrin then I would be making up a solution of catnip to spray on me and my hammock. Only issue with this is you have to renew it every few hours where permethrin you only renew every 6 to 8 weeks.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappySeb View Post
    I did not think of venting the under quilt, probably would of help a bit.
    It should be a big help.

The surprising thing is that you were able to be less hot in the tent than in the hammock. I still remember trying to camp in the Smoky Mountains many years ago, two guys trying to share a two man tent in June. I think we ended up having our upper bodies part way out of the tent trying to cool off enough to sleep. And that was probably at ~ 2000 ft elevation, which should usually be cooler than most other areas of the south.

But the problem most people have in a hammock- compared to a tent or even on the ground under a tarp- is staying warm enough. An uninsulated hammock can be uncomfortably cold for many people at 70-75F(~ 21C?), and for most people at 65-70.

But of course that only applies to a cold back situation, unless a person is having draft problems trying to go top quilt style. But if bugs are a problem, being inside a zipped up mossy net can definitely add to the heat, but same thing for me in a tent. So it is possible to be cool enough or even too cool on your back but still hot on top.

As already mentioned, a little fan might help. Also consider non-bug net options. I have got away twice now with no bug net, by having all my clothing, gear and hammock treated with Permethrin and Picaridin sprayed on any exposed skin, even some sprayed on some of my sleep clothing. I totally got away with it both times, but I was also very paranoid both times, which hindered my ability to relax. Plus you are obviously taking an extra chance, so beware. But, getting out from under a net can really help in hot temps.

Oh and +1 on what Dkurfiss said: if you remove the quilt, the mossies will devour your backside through the hammock, unless it is treated with Permethrin or unless it is a double layer hammock. Now that is a unique problem which provides a big surprise for hammock hangers, a problem they do not have in a tent!

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I found that the fabric used on my HH did not allow any air to pass through. I'm not using a 1.1 ripstop and it helps keep things a bit cooler. The biggest issue is the fact that the noseeum will not let any air pass through either. I've found that by using toulle for the bugnet allows more air movement, but it's quite a bit more fragile and requires more gentle handling. The holes are a bit larger, so I treat it with permethrin and haven't had any problems with bugs getting in.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast