Hammock
    Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY WSlings/straps

Do hammocks and broken/healing collarbones mix?

I've recently broken my clavicle way over by my shoulder to the point that it needed to have hardware and pins installed. I've gotten the ok from the Doc, but I'd like ya'lls input. Sleeping in bed is not so bad on the shoulder but wreaks havock on the rest of my body. I'm a side sleeper in a reg bed, but due to the shoulder can only lay flat on my back. The hammock would help with the back issue, but would The shoulder squeeze get me?

Also if any of you've had a clavicle break how did it affect your hammock comfort in the long term?

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Sorry to hear about your injury. Sounds really painful! I, too, simply cannot lay on my back in a bed for one single second; I am a 100% side-sleeper. Yet, in a hammock, I can--very comfortably--sleep on my back.

You're just going to have to give it a try and see what works for you. Assuming you have a gathered end hammock, not a bridge, my guess is that you'll do okay if you sleep on the diagonal with the broken side in the center and the "good" side to the edge of the hammock. That way, your "good" side will take any shoulder squeeze that may occur. But, again, you're just going to have to try it and see what works.

Best of luck on your recovery, brother. Let us know what you figure out.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters, WWBB
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    Woopies.

Do hammocks and broken/healing collarbones mix?

I feel your pain on the Clavicle, broke the same one twice. I'm a side sleeper as well and I propped the broken wing under a pillow to support it. Let your elbow rest on your side and use enough pillows to keep your wrist at a 90deg angel. The pillow trick may work in a hammock as well.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I've been fortunate, no injuries like you've had. In answer to your question, I think a longer hammock, say 10 or 11 ft would be OK, but a shorter one might cause you problems.

broken collar bone/hammock

I broke my clavicle last July--plate and screws still in there. I've only been out in a hammock a few times since then. During recovery I had to sleep on a recliner chair quite often b/c I'm a side sleeper who moves around quite a bit and simply couldn't get comfortable in bed. The recliner offered support for my arm/shoulder and forced me to sleep on my back.

My bone has fully mended and I use a bridge hammock. I am quite comfortable and can move around and sleep on my "good" side (the one without the break). My other side can get a bit sore, but it's manageable.

If your bone has mended and the doc gives the OK, sounds like you are good to go. For me, a large part of the healing process has been a psychological challenge, often wondering if I will cause more damage, if I'm ready for physical activities, etc. I recommend a couple of test hangs. Maybe a nap or two on the weekends to see if you're sore. The great thing about a hammock is that the fabric "gives" a bit and should allow you to move a bit without pressure on your shoulders.

Best of luck to you and your healing,

Michael (SoCal Mike)

Hammock
    Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY WSlings/straps
    Thanks for all your input, I will try to modify my current bed arrangement with some of your methods. My injury is still pretty recent (last week) so I don't think I'm any wear near mended, so I don't think I'll pursue any test hangs. Currently I have a HH and and a DIY that are between 9 and 10 feet. Maybe I'll pursue a some nice long fabric and whip up another. This will also give me time to complete some of those other DIY's that I've put off to the side. Glass half full of lemonade... Right!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    There was a thread about this a while back. Not telling you to use the search function, or anything, just adding a resource to the mix. The thread is here.

You might want to PM J.Andersons and see how things worked-out for him in the end.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY WSlings/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    There was a thread about this a while back. Not telling you to use the search function, or anything, just adding a resource to the mix. The thread is here.

You might want to PM J.Andersons and see how things worked-out for him in the end.
    I did take a med fueled browse through that thread while bedded up in the hospital. Some good info there as well. That thread + the awesome info from the members here will give me a good start on handelingshort, mid, and long term issues. If anyone has any other info or personal experience pls send it my way!

Images
    i went to winter hang 3 years back with 2 broken ribs. i could not lay on side and getting out i needed help. the getting out did aggravate the injury.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

New Member Eastern Mountain Hiker's Avatar
    Hammock
    Eno / Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Sea to Summit / HG
    Suspension
    DIY/Whoopie Slings
    I dislocated my shoulder and tore my acromioclavicular ligament a couple of years ago and I sleep fine in my hammock. I sleep on the opposite side or my back. I also bring a air core pillow. Before the shoulder injury I didn't need a pillow.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast