Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Reflectix = Invaluable

Just wanted to reiterate what most on here already know. There are always little pieces of gear that don't seem very important until you put in the trail time and you find yourself going for them all the time. Trekking poles are like that for me, headlamp (was like pulling teeth to convince my GF to pick one up instead of her little pocket flashlight. Now she wont shut up about it)

Reflectix has moved itself into that category for me. It weighs practically nothing. It's really about as little bulky as can be compared to CCF. I bought one 25' roll for 15.00 at Home Depot (found in the housing insulation section). That's 4 bedrolls and enough for cozies for a cook set. Cheap.

It's a great portable bail-out if you hit weather that's colder than the gear you brought was made for. It's water-proof. Use it as a pad outside of your hammock. You could probably even use it as a leg or arm brace if you needed it on the trail. However, using it around the campfire at night was the bread and butter for me. Shoes off, laying alongside the fire I was remarkably comfortable not having to sit up and not having to lay on the damp ground. In the winter it worked just as well in this function, just with shoes on

For those who haven't experienced the utility of this material, you're missing out. This will be a regular in my pack for the foreseeable future.

Remember, Housing Insulation, not the Plumbing section. At least not at Home Depot.

Hammock
    11' Mutton Chop
    Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images

Re: Reflectix = Invaluable

It's truly great stuff. I use a piece folded in half inside of a USPS tyvek envelope as a sit pad and at night as insulation at the foot of my hammock. It beats CCF for comfort.
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Agreed. Good for so many things. I been using it for years on the ground for a sleep pad and lounging around. Good for hockey games, football, etc. I used it to line a pair of boots that got cold on the bottom a couple of winters ago but it did get me the sweaty feets athough was still warm.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Left over fabric + reflectix =

16" x 36" mat/sit pad
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    It's also available in 24 in wide x 25 ft rolls for $25. I just cut a bunch to slide between the blinds and the glass in the portable cabin. Aside from the insulation and UV blocking it is also a great room darkener. Leftovers will be pot coozies and maybe a sit pad or two..
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.9/1.1 Camo
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Reflectix = Invaluable

I tried looking for reflectix last weekend at Home Depot but couldn't find it, and the store help didn't know what it was. Do you know what else would be found next to it?

Quote Originally Posted by agent00111 View Post
    I tried looking for reflectix last weekend at Home Depot but couldn't find it, and the store help didn't know what it was. Do you know what else would be found next to it?
    Here's a link that you can print out and take to the Store : http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...gry=Search+All . I have had to do this before when going to Home Depot for things I was looking for.

I hope that helps

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Web for now

Reflectix = Invaluable

Anyone know the R value? I have a ccf pad that my son uses in his hammock, but also have a very wide pieces of reflectix that I've used with the ccf for him when it's sub 40F just to be sure he's warm. Curious how the two compare.

Hammock
    11' Mutton Chop
    Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by peripatew View Post
    Anyone know the R value? I have a ccf pad that my son uses in his hammock, but also have a very wide pieces of reflectix that I've used with the ccf for him when it's sub 40F just to be sure he's warm. Curious how the two compare.
    A minimum of 3.7 according to HD here.
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

My piece fits perfectly in my big agnes pad holder. Makes turning in the bag easy and no drafts. I wonder if I could ditch the downmat in the summer and just use a piece in my big ag pad holder??

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast