Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    My piece fits perfectly in my big agnes pad holder. Makes turning in the bag easy and no drafts. I wonder if I could ditch the downmat in the summer and just use a piece in my big ag pad holder??
    When I first started hanging back in 2004, I used reflectix and a CCF wally world pad in my Big Agnes Horsethief and HH Exped. Good down to around 45 with no problems. Lower than that, you'd need a SPE to keep the cold shoulder away. I still carry a small piece for a sit pad and stick it in my top quilt on cold nights. I have part of that original roll in my attic, it never goes bad.

Sweeper
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
    When I first started hanging back in 2004, I used reflectix and a CCF wally world pad in my Big Agnes Horsethief and HH Exped. Good down to around 45 with no problems. Lower than that, you'd need a SPE to keep the cold shoulder away. I still carry a small piece for a sit pad and stick it in my top quilt on cold nights. I have part of that original roll in my attic, it never goes bad.

Sweeper
    My buddy took his blue CCF and my reflectix down to 21* a month back, warm and comfy, 'cept for his feet. I tried to tell him to get down booties, he scoffed at me. He paid the price.

But as far as cold shoulder squeeze, I hadn't thougth about but I'm sure I'd get some without my inflatable to space things out. Thanks Sweeps

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Would this stuff work well if I put it in my UQ protector supported just below my UQ?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    11' Mutton Chop
    Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    I'd only use it there if really necessary. It will become a vapor barrier and may cause your underquilt to dampen.
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Hammock
    DIY D.L. Hammock, Eagle Nest pro
    Tarp
    Kelty12',9' & SF
    Insulation
    Down UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    IT's good stuff.. has many applications.

wonder how it would work for a Solar still/ Cooker??.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

plenty of air?

Quote Originally Posted by perrito View Post
    I'd only use it there if really necessary. It will become a vapor barrier and may cause your underquilt to dampen.
    The protector does not sit up right on the UQ, and especially would not with the reflectix in there. Plus, there would be plenty of room on the sides of the UQ to let vapor escape. Still think this is a potential dampness issue?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

At that distance away from you, it's only going to be effective as a windblock. You'd get more actual reflective warmth if it's right against you between the UQ and you. I don't think it'd add much to your UQ protector if anything really as it's already a wind block.

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    ACE Hardware has 24" x 25' rolls on line for $18.00. Is the 24" width what everyone's using?
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

I use the 20" since it fits inside my big ag pad holder.

Most pad's are "standard" 20" so if you're trying to integrate it with existing gear I'd go 20" wide.

If you're using it by itself, wider the better IMO, especially in a hammock for shoulder coverage.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    DD 10'x10'
    Insulation
    SI mat, 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch buckl
    I'm a rank noob here, but as part of my setup that I'm still putting together I bought a truck-size windscreen reflector. It's about 28" wide by 5'6" long (I cut off the little flaps that fit inside the doors to hold it on the vehicle). This stuff is amazing. It is so warm. It's not bubble wrap but a thin closed cell foam (like packaging foam for electrical items).

I tried it out last night on the concrete out in my backyard. It wasn't really cold, but it was freezing on the concrete just laying on it. With the windscreen reflector it was quite warm and I could have slept on it alone with just a light blanket on. Also it is quite flexible, so I expect it will be fine in my hammock.

Some people have commented that these things can slide around in a hammock, but if that happens I might try using some velcro spots on the screen and sewn onto the hammock to keep it in place. It is also very thin, so on extremely cold nights I think it would be possible to use 2 layers, or to make a foot box that could slide over a sleeping bag using part of a second one.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast