Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help with Darien UL

I'm having a problem keeping the bug netting out of my face. The sides of the hammock also falls over onto my legs! There seems to be too much material.
    The ridge line is taut and at times the netting is stretched so tightly that its difficult to zip. Yet I still have netting flopping in my face.
    I've tried everything I know to do without success! I'm considering sewing some loops onto the side so that it can be tied out like the Blackbird. I would prefer not to do that because I want to keep the weight down as much as possible.
    Have any of you experienced this problem and if so how did you deal with it?
    Thanks

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Sounds like you may be laying straight in the hammock. Laying in a straight line will cause the sides to fall in on you and puts a lot of stress on the nanoseeum netting.
    The Darien UL is built to lay diagonal in line with the asym shape of the netting. Don't remember if you have a right lay or left lay hammock, but you should see the curved areas along the sides creating the asym shape. Give that a try and I'm guessing the net and sides of the hammock will tighten up quite nicely.

Hey, this is my 1.000th post.

No I'm laying on a diagonal. I've tried increasing the diagonal on which I lay to over come this but it doesn't help!
    There's so much material that I've started putting my gloves ,hats or whatever I have into that "fold" of material. I then push this to the outside of my UQ. It creates a makeshift shelf!
    I very much want to "love" this hammock but this is very annoying!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    I'm completely lost on this one. Perhaps a photo of the occupied hammock would help?

Hammock
    TW Green Hornet / BMBH / WBBB 1.1SL
    Tarp
    Sargasso/Cloudburs
    Insulation
    HudsonRvr/Leighlo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Is it possible to be lying on the opposite diagonal....maybe ?

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    This is what bothers me about integrated nets. Looking at them says it's not for me. And now, here's the actual use of one that proves unsatisfactory.

I understand the weight savings but it seems like a design flaw to me, with all due respect.

It's time to make one and it'll be generous enough to put sticks inside to keep it off my face and feet.

The purpose is to keep the wee beasties away from us. We're talking about disease-carrying insects here, right?

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Darien UL, WBBB
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Woopies/Dutchware
    Images
    MDSH, I have never had a problem with my integrated nets touching my face or feet. The ridgeline keeps the net up and out of the way and this complaint is an outlier as opposed to the norm.

Without photos it isn't clear yet when it happening. Also I wouldn't recommend using sticks to prop it open, that could cause tears that may let the wee beasties into your hammock!

With any product you will find someone it doesn't work for, doesn't mean it's a design flaw. But if you don't like the idea then there are netting socks and other alternatives.
    HYOH

Which direction are you laying in the hammock? Head left feet right? ie...is your head next too the zipper?
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    The sides of the hammock also falls over onto my legs! There seems to be too much material.
    This I believe is the root problem. The netting is built in an asym shape that will stretch taut, but not tight when the user lays with a shoulder in one asym point and their feet/calves in the opposite asym point. Laying this way tightens the edges of the hammock and pulls the netting up and away from you. The hammock body itself is simply a 60" x 120" rectangle. Saggy hammock = saggy net.

nu2hike - I looked up what I believe was your order and found that it was a 10ft, right lay hammock ordered back in Oct 2012. Placing your left shoulder and right feet at the asym points (clear over close to the edge) should take care of any loosness you are experiencing. If you find any flaw or defect with the hammock, please let me know via email so that I may help you.

MDSH - I will look forward to seeing your design.

I lay with my head to the left next to the zipper and my feet to the right. If I can get someone to help I will get a picture.
    When I hang the hammock the ridge line is quite loose,but when I lay in the hammock the ridge line becomes tight. I use Brandon from Warbonnet's method of checking the tension.
    Papa Smurf I'm not trying to "dis" your product, I'm just trying to figure out how to make it work! I haven't ruled out user error as it seems no one else is experiencing this problem.
    As to integrated bug nets, I love them. I can't stand the thought of anything crawling over me while I sleep! So there will never be a time that I would hang without one.
    Thanks to everyone for helping me resolve this issue!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast