Grand Island, Michigan Solo July 26-29, 2012

I finally got around to putting some video together from my solo 4 day trip to Grand Island, Michigan off of Munising in the UP. Had perfect weather (70's and 80's), no bugs and my pick of the prime campsites on the island. I was using the first hammock I'd ever bought, a Texasport Hobo 2 for $20 at our local surplus shop, along with my Kelty 30 bag and my trusty Noahs 12 tarp. I've since upgraded my insulation and hammock. Also doing my research and looking for a sil tarp.

Another thing: Didn't see alot of people (except for a few hours on Saturday during the Grand Island Trail Run) while I was there, even though it was a Thursday to Sunday trip. Probably met 4 backpackers total and a guy in his 60's named Steve who'd been there 10 days with a Schwinn LeTour 10 speed modified with a old school frame backpack over the rear tire...kind of eccentric by I met him on my last day as he was vacating the Driftwood site.

Grand Island is a bargain too. $15 covers the pontoon ride over and your access fee. Doesn't matter how many days your there, it's the same price either way. Never had a problem finding a hanging spot and you can camp off trail if you want. All the established sites have fire pits, benches, bear pole or vault and it's own outhouse with a view! Firewood is plentiful and the park service stockpiles it near the campsites. Trails are easy walking too and the views amazing...especially Pictured Rocks across Munising Bay. Video is kind of long (like this post). Enjoy

Last edited by michigandave; 03-03-2013 at 09:54.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Grand Island is great, might try to make it up there this summer.... we'll see. The island sure has a lot more amenities than it did the first time I was up there 15 yrs ago or so.
    Nice video, thanks for taking us along.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB CB / UGQ WD
    Insulation
    WB Lynx / LL GP
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Good video, I think I know where I am taking the fam this year! Any suggestions for my wife and I and a 6 yo boy and a 4 yo girl?

Quote Originally Posted by nimbus37 View Post
    Good video, I think I know where I am taking the fam this year! Any suggestions for my wife and I and a 6 yo boy and a 4 yo girl?
    When I was there this past October, the forest service was just finishing up the building of 2 camper cabins on the west side of the island in the Juniper Flats/Waterfall beach area. I haven't seen anything updated on the website showing that their available yet, but it's worth a call to the forest service for an update. You could hang your hammock and have a brand new cabin to call home for a couple days. Water pump, wood and outhouse are close by too....Plus, it would be safe from the bears! I saw signs of them all over the place when I was there.

Link to info: http://www.grandislandmi.com/index.html
    I used this guide on my second trip there and it's a great resource:
    http://www.amazon.com/Exploring-Gran...C+mi+trail+map
    Last edited by michigandave; 03-04-2013 at 09:14.

Hammock
    DIY Hennessy, WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp,
    Insulation
    Pad/Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Thanks!

Was looking for a spot for a fall trip. hanks for reminding me of this little jewel. Nice trip!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    OES Ultra
    Insulation
    Under Ground Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hey,

Thanks for sharing. I've had my eye on this place for years. Just finished my reservations for Pictured Rocks, as that was my daughter's wish for this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    Hey,

Thanks for sharing. I've had my eye on this place for years. Just finished my reservations for Pictured Rocks, as that was my daughter's wish for this summer.
    Glad you enjoyed it. I made a second trip back in early October and brought a buddy to share the experience. It really is an untouched jewel.
    Thanks for reminding me about reservations...My 14 yo daughter had the same idea and PIRO is our destination for June.

• + New Posts