HH Ultralight Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Hyperlite Asym
    Insulation
    CC pad+bag
    Suspension
    Biner and webbing

I gots cold feet!

So.. I searched around and couldn't find any thread addressing this. Maybe there is one deep in the annals of the site, but I couldn't find it. I just got back today from a backpacking/ bouldering trip. It was probably about 25 deg last night. I had a horrible problem while in my HH. My feet were so incredibly cold, I didn't want to move. From what I gather the problem may be my pad (HH radiant bubble pad) , but I just wanted to see if anyone had suggestions. Thanks!
    Nice Marmot!
    Vauban says nothing's connected. It's all random and cruel. It doesn't matter what you do.

That's nihilism, Tommy! (I Heart Huckabees)

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Could be that your feet came off of the pad. Were you wearing loose socks? Tight socks? Warm cap? Were your feet dirty or wet when you laid down? Did you have clean sleeping socks?

You could also try carrying a small sit pad to slide inside of your TQ/SB foot box. This would prevent your feet from coming off the pad.
    Last edited by Catavarie; 02-25-2013 at 01:00.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    Cold be that your feet came off of the pad. Were you wearing loose socks? Tight socks? Warm cap? Were your feet dirty or wet when you laid down? Did you have clean sleeping socks?

You could also try carrying a small sit pad to slide inside of your TQ/SB foot box. This would prevent your feet from coming off the pad.
    All of that. If that does not work, consider vapor barrier socks under loose wool socks. also with a very thin liner cock against the skin.

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Hyperlite Asym
    Insulation
    CC pad+bag
    Suspension
    Biner and webbing
    Thanks I will try all of that. I had thick merino wool hunting socks on dry clean feet that I use only for sleeping as I hike in hurraches. My sleeping bag probably isnt rated for much lower than 35, but I used it before when I used to use a Target burlap hammock and everything was fine. Hopefully yall's suggestions will clear up this problem.
    Nice Marmot!
    Vauban says nothing's connected. It's all random and cruel. It doesn't matter what you do.

That's nihilism, Tommy! (I Heart Huckabees)

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You could awlys buy/DiY some nice warm down booties.

Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Bivi Hornet XL
    Tarp
    DD XL 4,5x3 Coyote
    Insulation
    DD Snugpak UB
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhndlke View Post
    Thanks I will try all of that. I had thick merino wool hunting socks on dry clean feet that I use only for sleeping as I hike in hurraches. My sleeping bag probably isnt rated for much lower than 35, but I used it before when I used to use a Target burlap hammock and everything was fine. Hopefully yall's suggestions will clear up this problem.
    Nalgene bottle of hot water in a sock to prevent scolding in your footbox, problem solved. Alternatively a zippo handwarmer or a single use one in the same place.

Btw, the Zippo handwarmers are nice to throw in your boots while you sleep too, just block the opening with a sock or something, and hey presto, warmish boots in the morning, worth it's weight in gold.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: I gots cold feet!

My trick has been to zip my jacket around the foot end of my hammock... Shig shows it in one of his videos, or maybe it was Fronkey... Either way it adds a few degrees down there as I always have cold feet when I sleep...

Also hot hands makes some things specifically shaped to fit your feet... Might not be a bad idea to keep a pair per night in your pack just in case...

Edit; I also change into clean wool socks for sleeping only...
    Last edited by Brute1100; 02-25-2013 at 08:53.
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Images
    There are several ways I've learned to keep your feet warm. It first starts with wearing the right footwear. If your in snow often, I'd consider a pair of pack boots.
    Felt liners help as well.
    Down booties for at camp.
    Those hand/foot warmers work for immediate relief.
    The best way I've found is vapor barrier socks. The biggest reason for cold feet, is that during the day as you exert energy, your feet sweat, dampening your socks and boots. Now when you stop for the evening, your socks and boots will start to freeze. Vapor barrier socks, keep all moisture in, keeping your socks and boots completely dry, therefore, keeping the warmth without freezing.
    http://warmlite.com/vapor-barrier-clothing
    http://www.rbhdesigns.com/category/170/footwear.htm

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    +1 on all the above, I've use them all. Jacket/gilet over the foot end and booties is probably the easiest and most effective though.

I'll add that eating the right foods and keeping hydrated properly will also make a big difference to your bodies ability to keep warm. If I wake up cold, (rare) I eat some high Cocoa chocolate and take on some fluids.

Images
    I just saw that you said your feet were cold in the hammock. That could be solved by shoving your extra clothing down in the footbox of your quilt, surrounding your feet. As would work if you have a bag and filled it with leaves...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast