Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Florida winter insulation?

Hey everybody . I'm from florida, specifically that hickish southern alabama part on the map lol. I've always enjoyed camping here but only in the late fall, winter, early spring weather. The warmer months are...well not so warm...more like blazing hot with sticky 80% humidity lol. I've got a vertex coming soon (pray for the taxes!!) and I just need some suggestions for insulation. I expect it'll only be 30 or so degrees at the very lowest when I camp. Only on the very rare occasions does it get below 30 here in florida. After looking at all of the different ways to insulate...both an underquilt and top quilt just looks like overkill for florida winters. Maybe just a pad and a 40 degree topquilt? warm clothing on? Any suggestions from you Florida hammock lovers?

Hammock
    WBRR DL
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    HG UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    I have had my 40deg Hammock Gear TQ & UQ down to to around 35 and been plenty warm wearing light wool long johns & and a head wrap. It should be said I also sleep very warm so your experience will be different.

--louis

Hmm. OK maybe both a top and bottom quilt wouldn't be so bad. I thought maybe I could use some reflectex to make a pad and just get away with only a top quilt. Save some money. Have you tried this? Ideas anyone?

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I just came back from a week long trip in the Everglades. I used a pad under me, in between the 2 layers of my WBBB, and a 40* top quilt from UnderGround Quilts. Worked very well for me, and I spent a couple of nights without the TQ altogether.

I am a warm sleeper, so your needs might be more. I would think a base layer added on would solve any problems.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfarm747 View Post
    Hmm. OK maybe both a top and bottom quilt wouldn't be so bad. I thought maybe I could use some reflectex to make a pad and just get away with only a top quilt. Save some money. Have you tried this? Ideas anyone?
    You may get a bit clammy on that reflectix....especially down your way. I would just try a camping pad but a summer UQ would be your best bet to not get clammy/sweaty and you can vent it.
    Carry forth....
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    I lived in FWB for about 5 years, now in NOLA, very similar weather. In fact I just left Sandestin this morning. You are warming up there and should be able to get away with very little insulation till late fall, especially if you are looking at a couple of weeks before getting your first hammock. Use a pad and sleeping bag til you can spring for a TQ first and then your UQ next. When summer gets here you will be looking for ways to cool down and the hammock is the best option if you camp a lot. Good luck!

swank

Awesome guys . Thanks for the help. My family is full of gi's so ccf pads are a dime a dozen lol. In fact i'm in my computer room staring at a couple in the closet I think I'll just use em til I can afford some underquilts. Or better yet, I've got a couple GI sleeping bag systems floating around here, might convert one of those . And about the weather. In classic Florida form, It's been a nice 70ish degrees the last two weeks and then all of a sudden it was in the lowish 60's with a wicked windchill last night. Unexpectedly nippy. The weather here changes it's mind more often than a pregnant lady.

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfarm747 View Post
    Awesome guys . Thanks for the help. My family is full of gi's so ccf pads are a dime a dozen lol. In fact i'm in my computer room staring at a couple in the closet I think I'll just use em til I can afford some underquilts. Or better yet, I've got a couple GI sleeping bag systems floating around here, might convert one of those . And about the weather. In classic Florida form, It's been a nice 70ish degrees the last two weeks and then all of a sudden it was in the lowish 60's with a wicked windchill last night. Unexpectedly nippy. The weather here changes it's mind more often than a pregnant lady.
    if you are surrounded my military folk there might be a few mil ponchos laying around ...there are a few poncho liner under quilts (PLUQ) mods in teh DIY section. Cheap, and no sewing needed. They make great 1-2 seasoners and can be beefed up with your pads.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...highlight=pluq

oh and +1 on what Shug said about the reflectix.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm also originally from FL. (Pensacola).

I made a no-sew poncho liner underquilt and I think it would be absolutely perfect with a light pad down into the 40s. Maybe even upper 30s with a couple layers on.

That's my suggestion. All you need is a GI Poncho Liner/wooby, some shock cord, a couple cord locks and maybe an s-biner or two and you are good to hoof.

good luck!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym,USMC Tarp
    Suspension
    Beeners and Rings
    Would love to see how this was made, do you have a vid on You Tube? Please enlighten me on this.. Thanks in advance...
    Luck is the meeting of Destiny and Hard Work.......................................

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast