Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Underground Quilt Reveiw

I have two underquilts from Paul a 20* & a 40* degree and I am vary happy with both piece of gear. The workmanship that Paul and his staff put into each piece of gear is buy far the best. His customer service is excellent and I will continue to do business with paul in the near future..

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Images
    i live in VA and am looking at UGQs. i want a full length UQ for the benefit of year round use, but i am not sure whether to get the 20* or 40*. the summers nights here in VA can get downright warm and muggy, yet i would love to do more cold weather camping.

would the 20* overkill for me? or would the 40* be a better suit? I am very conflicted on this...maybe you could help me out.

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I own several UGQ's and I would say for an all around 3 season quilt 20* is a good set. With that said I live in Michigan, and we get the full gammot of weather. I personally would go with a 3/4 length. The nice thing is with the 20* 3/4 length if it does get too warm you can vent the UQ very easily or leave it a little loose when you attach it to your hammock, a full length its a little harder to do. I recommend contacting Paul and discussing your needs and see what the two of you can come up with.
    Last edited by Stone; 02-01-2013 at 11:32.
    Its a proven fact that 78.4% of all statstics are made up on the spot.

Stone's Videos

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    UGQ H11WB
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    WBBB straps
    Unfortunately, I haven't had a true test of the zero degree top and under quilts I got for Christmas. It only got down to a windy 20* and I was TOASTY! Great workmanship, service, and colors though.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortTripHome View Post
    i live in VA and am looking at UGQs. i want a full length UQ for the benefit of year round use, but i am not sure whether to get the 20* or 40*. the summers nights here in VA can get downright warm and muggy, yet i would love to do more cold weather camping.

would the 20* overkill for me? or would the 40* be a better suit? I am very conflicted on this...maybe you could help me out.
    Howdo.... the dreaded 40 versus 20 versus 40 question, to answer that you will need to ask yourself when does your primary hammocking season start and end. Being in VA your winters tend to be a bit warmer than MI so take that into consideration. Also, UQ can certainly be vented in warmer weather, our first year in a hammock was with a 20*UQ, we used them pretty much year round including summer here in Michigan which can be quite warm. I can only recall one night were we didn't use a UQ and it was in the 80's that night UGH.... So a 20*UQ can be used in warmer weather, just need to vent, but a 40*UQ will not be able to take you as cold as a 20*UQ without secondary insulation.... I'd probably recommend a 20*UQ as it will be the most forgiving on the colder end, most people have no issue with a quilt being too HOT, that can be dealt with but to cold and your just uncomfortable.... Again, ask yourself what temps you see yourself out in before making a final decision.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Danger Bird
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Paul brings up a good pointe at what temps do you feel comfortable in.. I my self like cold winter camping and will use my 40* full length UQ up untill the temps reach about 30* or so. The full length UQ works well for me both my UQ are full length and both r over stuffed.. I have had my 20* UQ in temps as low as 10* with strong winds and have been toasty warm and I tend to sleep with just my base layer on but i am warm sleeper....

I really like my 40* UQ full lenght even if temp are in the 70 or 80 I will hang it real loosely and or not even put it on.. But that's just me..

Happy Hanging!!!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    UGQ H11WB
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    WBBB straps
    Ya gotta love having to be prepared for hanging at temperatures from -25*F to humid 90*F! Does anybody ever bail when the heat is oppressive?

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I havent bailed, but I have been too warm, just lisde the UQ suspension off to the side.
    Its a proven fact that 78.4% of all statstics are made up on the spot.

Stone's Videos

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    No bail here either, just push the UQ off to the side then if you get cold during the night pull it back under you. I like to attach a piece of shock cord to one of the side loops on UQ, run it under hammock and attached to side of hammock, either the hammock pull out or somewhere else in easy reach. Then if I get CBS during the night I can just pull the UQ back under me with the shock cord. Once it is over half way under me suspension takes over and pulls it into place.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• + New Posts