Tarp
    SuperFly, SLD WiH
    Insulation
    HG Pheonix, pads
    Suspension
    web various cinch
    Images
    +++1 for Shug.
    I had a Yucatan cotton string job that was super wide and my every night sleeper back in the early 70s. I slept in this big old empty, unheated log house down the hill from a barn where I lived otherwise. I had this Sears insulated quilted long two piece suit I wore in the winter. I was an avid backpacker in tents and a motorcycle camper in the US and Canada for many years. One of my moto brothers would always pull out a simple cheap hammock and rig it at breaks from the road. I resisted for a long time. I always avoided the "jungle hammock" camping concept, as I was not educated as to how you would keep all your gear secure and dry out under a tarp only. I'm still not clear on the prying eyes/fingers issue with other people around.

In spring 2016 I got an ENO on sale and Shug caught my attention big time. I had a lot to learn quickly as I was caught up in the feverish interest to learn more each day. Shug poured it on, and thick. I had a good basic boy scout and beyond interest in knot tying so most rigging made sense. I have been a canoe tripping camper almost my entire life. (I'll be 70 in September 2016) I have a nice piece of woods and trees all around our little farm so I was getting great sleep (best) while hanging so that was one more triple +++. Tomorrow some more Dutch stuff comes in the mail.. Some dutch bling, amsteel, and other hammock stuff is on the way. I'm gettin' a good boil. Way of life!
    Last edited by danah.; 06-26-2016 at 16:30.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger22 View Post
    +++1 for Shug.
    I had a Yucatan cotton string job that was super wide and my every night sleeper back in the early 70s. I slept in this big old empty, unheated log house down the hill from a barn where I lived otherwise. I had this Sears insulated quilted long two piece suit I wore in the winter. I was an avid backpacker in tents and a motorcycle camper in the US and Canada for many years. One of my moto brothers would always pull out a simple cheap hammock and rig it at breaks from the road. I resisted for a long time. I always avoided the "jungle hammock" camping concept, as I was not educated as to how you would keep all your gear secure and dry out under a tarp only. I'm still not clear on the prying eyes/fingers issue with other people around.

In spring 2016 I got an ENO on sale and Shug caught my attention big time. I had a lot to learn quickly as I was caught up in the feverish interest to learn more each day. Shug poured it on, and thick. I had a good basic boy scout and beyond interest in knot tying so most rigging made sense. I have been a canoe tripping camper almost my entire life. (I'll be 70 in September 2016) I have a nice piece of woods and trees all around our little farm so I was getting great sleep (best) while hanging so that was one more triple +++. Tomorrow some more Dutch stuff comes in the mail.. Some dutch bling, amsteel, and other hammock stuff is on the way. I'm gettin' a good boil. Way of life!
    Whooooooo Buddy))))) I like it poured on thick and loud!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    ENO System
    Found hammocks while researching light and easy options for hiking. Liked the idea of it and joined this forum to get insight and have learned a lot in such a short amount of time. Pulled the trigger and bought myself the ENO System. Other than practicing set-up at the local park, i have rigged my system on a couple of clothes line poles at a local camp and use my wifes hammock stand in the backyard. Realizing real quick that an UQ is needed.

Needless to say on this site, i'm hooked and need more to satisfy this urge to get out and get it done for real

Thanks for asking

Hammock
    11' Circle Beard
    Insulation
    GI poncho liner
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images
    Truth is I'm becoming a hanger, but my reasons are Shug, Bearded Hanger pointing me to the Hammock Forums, and the rest of you guys steering me in the right direction. Shug's videos are more an acquired taste since he's literally a clown and can get a bit silly sometimes, but one evening after fighting rush hour traffic while hearing the latest news on how our country's getting flushed down the toilet, I found myself watching about a dozen of his videos back to back. By the time I went out for my after-dinner smoke, I realized I was actually smiling! Quite a feat for anyone when I'm tired, pissed off, and in pain. Since then whenever I'm tired, angry, or my back's out, I pull up one of Shug's videos, and I end up feeling better. Between him and all the rest of you at the hammock forums, I find that I can wait the weeks it'll take for me to get back in the woods with hammock in hand. Thanks for giving back a piece of my sanity.
    Last edited by LowTekk; 07-09-2016 at 02:06.
    When pixie dust fails, LowTekk will get you home.

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    My friend bought a Hennessy and I borrowed it. That's all it took! One night of hanging bliss! Once I really started researching things, those hilarious videos of Shug's were great. We are looking at Warbonnet BB's now and the necessary gear.

Hammock
    DIY Shortened Ariel Bridge
    Tarp
    Vented Half-Sock
    Insulation
    DIY synth UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Slap straps
    Images
    I've got a D.I.Y Grizz Ariel hammock in place of my bed. And sleep in it everynight, I broke my pelvis years ago and haven't slept comfortably in a bed since.

Hammock
    WildHorn Outfitters
    Tarp
    Walkabout Rain Fly
    Insulation
    LLG Cayenne Pepper
    Suspension
    Webbing and Buckle
    I'm in the process of becoming a hanger. The reason is as simple as this: A friend and I recently hiked the Sipsey Wilderness here in Alabama. He had a hammock, I had a tent. He had a uq and tq. I had a sleeping bag and pad. He slept great, I slept miserably. At 44 yrs old, I done got too old for sleeping on the ground. In fact, the past several times I've tried sleeping on the ground, I have been absolutely miserable. I now own a hammock and I am a happy camper. Although I haven't done an overnight in it yet, I have set it up a few times and tried it out. I am amazed at the comfort.

Oh, and Shug's videos are awesome and very educational. [In the voice of Carl Childers] I've watched mosta his videos. I reckon I understand good deal of it!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone71 View Post
    I'm in the process of becoming a hanger. The reason is as simple as this: A friend and I recently hiked the Sipsey Wilderness here in Alabama. He had a hammock, I had a tent. He had a uq and tq. I had a sleeping bag and pad. He slept great, I slept miserably. At 44 yrs old, I done got too old for sleeping on the ground. In fact, the past several times I've tried sleeping on the ground, I have been absolutely miserable. I now own a hammock and I am a happy camper. Although I haven't done an overnight in it yet, I have set it up a few times and tried it out. I am amazed at the comfort.

Oh, and Shug's videos are awesome and very educational. [In the voice of Carl Childers] I've watched mosta his videos. I reckon I understand good deal of it!
    Flowers is purty.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

I hike mainly in north NJ/NY and on the trail (espically in the Catskills) where I walk, I have a hard time finding a place for my tent. A hammock seems to be a no brainier, we will see.

Hammock
    Hennessey Scout
    Tarp
    12 foot sil tarp
    Insulation
    3.6 oz climashield
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm a kid so it's a better price to weight ratio. Plus tenting is boring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    But that is .0001 ounces heavier😓.
    -Chris

• + New Posts
  • Page 209 of 258 FirstFirst ... 109159199207208209210211219 ... LastLast