WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    Last summer I was aggressively “approached” by two big dogs on a trail and ended up holding one of them at bay with my trekking poles for at least a full minute (it seemed longer) until the owner could drag it off still lunging and snapping at me. That is not how a dog should act on a trail.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 Dual Layer
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    If you have husky in your dog, take Fronkey's advice and teach the traditional mushing voice commands of Gee for right and Haw for left. You never know what types of fun you will get into beyond hiking and those commands might come in handy.

Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    diy 11 x 8
    Insulation
    incubator-stealth
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I think it is a good idea to teach your dog not to go ahead of you on the trail, even if off leash.
    Once you get a solid come, stay, and heal command going, start practicing around distractions.
    I have heard it is recommended not to put a heavy pack on a dog until they are 2 years old.
    Also, if you haven't yet, check out Fronkey's dog camping video..
    My dog seems to like it when I hang my hammock low enough so he can snuggle up next to me from his pad on the ground. This way he can also get some warmth from the underquilt.
    Good luck with the training and remember to keep it fun for both of you.
    "what do you suppose will satisfy the soul, except to walk free and own no superior" Walt Whitman

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Gee and Haw commands are useful, I agree. So is the limp command for getting the leash out from under/around a dogs leg. As far as no heavy pack till two years goes it should be a small percentage of the dogs weight even at two years. There are different views on actual percentage that should be. My dog carries his food, bedding and only his stuff. He's not all loaded down with my gear. Oh and in dry areas, I carry his water. Water is heavy. The dog needs to be introduced to wearing a light pack at a young age. Find out from someone who knows and get a proper fitting pack and adjust it correctly. I too hang close enough so ben touches the under quilt and we both benefit from heat exchange.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Danger Bird
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I would like to thank all of you for all the input, suggestions and ideas it really helps to get others input on some issue's. Common courtesy on the trial with or with out my dog is a must in my eye's, I have a lot of respect for the outdoor's common sence is a must. Never really thought about commands like left, right what i good idea. I will have to check out fronky's dog camping video. Thank's again for all the good idea's and suggestions.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12