WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Web for now

Question StingerZ vs tarp flyz

I'm a semi-noob so forgive my confusion. In what instances would you want to use the flyz vs the stingerz? I know the stings are designed to clip right on to the tarp, and the flyz are ment to be adjustable up and down the line. But when would you want to adjust them?

Just trying to wrap my mind around the uses for them! How do you use each of these?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    The stingerz are really nice if you are going to move them from tarp to tarp. Or such as the case with the 11x10 jrb tarp to move them to another place on the tarp so you can make a bakers hut. Flyz are movable so you can actually take less line. I use 12' for stingers and 10' for flyz. That is because if the line is too short for a Stinger you are out of luck. But with the flyz you can move it towards the tree and gain a couple feet.

Also Flyz were the original and Stingerz look cool
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Web for now
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    The stingerz are really nice if you are going to move them from tarp to tarp. Or such as the case with the 11x10 jrb tarp to move them to another place on the tarp so you can make a bakers hut. Flyz are movable so you can actually take less line. I use 12' for stingers and 10' for flyz. That is because if the line is too short for a Stinger you are out of luck. But with the flyz you can move it towards the tree and gain a couple feet.

Also Flyz were the original and Stingerz look cool
    Quick response! That makes sense. I'm going to experiment with a continuous ridgeline and split when my Superfly gets in... so I'll likely order a little of everything!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I always thought of the flyz as primarily for a continuous ridgeline, and stingerz for a non-continuous, or two-piece ridgeline. Dutch's video below leads me to believe he designed the stingerz with a non-continuous ridgeline in mind.

Of course, people use Dutch's stuff in ways he hadn't envisioned. I've seen people using tarp flyz on their guy lines, and whoopie hooks in weird ways too.

Dejoha uses tarp flyz and stingers in different ways in this vid.

Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 11-27-2012 at 14:12.

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw

StingerZ vs tarp flyz

Peripatew, the Flyz allow you to use all your ridgeline cord whereas the stingers loose their effectiveness when tress are far apart. I have had this on 2 occasions this winter where I used the stingers setup and had to tie the rope at the tree instead of the intended way of locking down the line bag at the attachment point of the tarp where the stingers are attached. This lends me to be of the opinion 15 foot or more would be better with Stingers. Thus I now prefer Flyz for that very reason.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ-Leighlo TQ
    Suspension
    AWS
    In my opinion I don't think the stingerz were designed with one use in mind at all. For instance with stingerz I am able to utilize a crl with absolutely no knots.

The stingerz are clipped to the D rings on either side of the tarps ridgeline. Then it's just a simple matter of running the ridgeline through the D ring and through the stingerz, around the tree and back to the stingerz.

Do the same on the other side leaving one of the stingerz loose… adjust the tarp to center and then cinch up the stingerz as tight as you like.
    This works with the ridgeline above or below the tarp.

Works like a charm and the stingerz live on the tarp until I so desire to move them to another.
    This whole setup gets rolled up into skins with the ends of the ridgelines poking out of the skins on either side.

No knots, no prusik to mess with… nada... and can be deployed in under 30 seconds…stingerz are the bomb!

Hammock
    Switchback and WBBB
    Tarp
    Cuban w/ Tarp Flyz
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosman View Post
    Peripatew, the Flyz allow you to use all your ridgeline cord whereas the stingers loose their effectiveness when tress are far apart. I have had this on 2 occasions this winter where I used the stingers setup and had to tie the rope at the tree instead of the intended way of locking down the line bag at the attachment point of the tarp where the stingers are attached. This lends me to be of the opinion 15 foot or more would be better with Stingers. Thus I now prefer Flyz for that very reason.

We have gone around the tree and back again on this one. I am thinking about adding a 2 or 3 foot loop or dog bone addition that we would carry in pairs to be added to the spliced stingers or purchased later. I would think that would be enough. Loops would be $5 a pair, not sure about the dog bones maybe $6.50 or $7. Any thoughts? If anybody would like those extensions before they hit the store just let me know with your order or email to [email protected]. Also please do not hesitate to ask for longer or shorter lines on any of our products. I do every splice so it would be no big deal and at most it would add a day to your shipping time. Also custom lengths add nothing to the charge of the item unless there is a request for a large amount (many feet) of additional material.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
    We have gone around the tree and back again on this one. I am thinking about adding a 2 or 3 foot loop or dog bone addition that we would carry in pairs to be added to the spliced stingers or purchased later. I would think that would be enough. Loops would be $5 a pair, not sure about the dog bones maybe $6.50 or $7. Any thoughts? If anybody would like those extensions before they hit the store just let me know with your order or email to [email protected]. Also please do not hesitate to ask for longer or shorter lines on any of our products. I do every splice so it would be no big deal and at most it would add a day to your shipping time. Also custom lengths add nothing to the charge of the item unless there is a request for a large amount (many feet) of additional material.
    Lol, I wish you had posted this a couple of days ago. I just got my shipping notice yesterday for my Tarp Flyz on the 10 ft zing it length. I ordered the Flyz instead of the Stingerz for the "just in case" factor. I would probably have bought a couple of short dog bones if they had been an option. My theory is that I can keep the flyz near the tarp for the "V" wrap most of the time, but if I run into a bigger tree or greater span, I will just adjust one or both of the Flyz closer to the tree, sacrificing the "V" for the additional distance. No big deal. In many ways, the Flyz are more functional (and lighter), than the Stingers, so I am happy with my purchase. I can't wait to try them out and add to my Dutchware collection.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by weaver2469 View Post
    Lol, I wish you had posted this a couple of days ago. I just got my shipping notice yesterday for my Tarp Flyz on the 10 ft zing it length. I ordered the Flyz instead of the Stingerz for the "just in case" factor. I would probably have bought a couple of short dog bones if they had been an option. My theory is that I can keep the flyz near the tarp for the "V" wrap most of the time, but if I run into a bigger tree or greater span, I will just adjust one or both of the Flyz closer to the tree, sacrificing the "V" for the additional distance. No big deal. In many ways, the Flyz are more functional (and lighter), than the Stingers, so I am happy with my purchase. I can't wait to try them out and add to my Dutchware collection.
    If you want to change them out just let me know.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    If you want to change them out just let me know.
    That's a nice offer, Dutch, but I am fine. I am excited to try out the Flyz.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast