Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I have made 3 hammocks out of the Momentum 90 MR. So far they have held up well. I am not quite sure of the difference in qualities of the Micro Rip stop (MR) vs. the taffeta but empirically I felt the MR would be less likely to give a catastrophic rip. My weights (before suspension) were 5.45 oz for a single 120*60, 4.5 for a 110*50, and if I remember correctly about 9.5 oz for the double. 120*60. I suspect ACER's weight to be higher with the longer hammock 132 as opposed to the STD 120. Test your lay by putting a temporary tie at the 120 length. If you are short, consider the 110 length and you can save substantial weight. From my experience, if I remake the "Neutron 4.5” I would remake with the 60 width for my height (5'11'). It might be more comfortable. It is a little tight for me at the shoulders but I have slept well in it for several trips. The shorter length did not seem to be a problem. Poof is using the Neutron 4.5 and has no concerns at 5'4. I do know everyone argues size. So far the Momentum 90 MR has held up well and sleeps very well.

MedicineMan has convinced me to make a Double M 50. I think using a double layer will give the "strength" needed to support mine and his weight and satisfy the advantages of a double layer hammock. If one was lucky enough to weigh less than 120-140 pounds, I would consider a single layer Momentum 50 - any takers for a guinea pig? This could be potentially a sub 3 oz hammock 2.8-2.9 oz for the momentum.

I am sure these hammocks will not have the life span of Micro Rip Stop 1.1 or 1.9. Sgt Rock’s experimentation with cuben and members playing with Momentum will lead to lighter, more comfortable, and more durable ultra-lite hammocks. Anyone know of a lighter stronger fabric? Possibly with Carbon fiber threads or Titanium treads woven in? That may be the ticket for combination of strength and comfort.

Anyway for the future, expect a report on the Double Neutron with Momentum 5.0 when available. Video is a must MedicineMan!!! Will it Hold ? ? ? The suspense is killing me.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Great info. Being a newb to DIY'ing,,I was trying to duplicate a 11' hammock of which I found over a year,,to give me, so far,,my most perfect lay and sleep as well as comfortability. Had nothing else to go on in trying this out. Picking the M90T material was after studing what others where using,,I figured the tafetta was kinda the way to try out first..and if it didn't work,,would try the other materials and see how they worked. Newtron,,,your info really answers alot of questions I had in my mind as in lots of searches here on the forum..for anybody using these products,,,I couldn't come up with anything. So it was all a guess on my part. The biggest surprise to me,,when I first got in it and layed back,,was the immediate feel of the material and now I understand why alot of people are making their TQ's out of these materials. Another plus,,was the 10oz's of savings of which I had hoped for in the total weight of suspension, RL, and hammock of which I am happy to achieved. Immediately yesterday,,considered making another one for backup,,and trying a foot or so smaller,,will tie the ends of the this one making it smaller in testing before doing so as I am thinking I can go lighter, and smaller, even moreso with the way this fabric works to conform to the lay. I have virtually no calf pressure or shoulder squeeze at 57 plus inches wide either. Another plus. YES,,we need a video from MedicineMan as Poof tests out her new hammock of M-50. Keep the info coming as its all a learning experience as we test out these fabrics that are available to us.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I just ordered 4 yds of M 90 MR to work on.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

Pertex

Noticed at Nunatak that 0.8oz Pertex exists...might be worth a try.
    I'll be guinea pig for the double m50...be nice to get Poof to try first though.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Great looking M90 hammock. I have a double layer hammock with M90 on the inside layer and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neutron View Post
    MedicineMan has convinced me to make a Double M 50. I think using a double layer will give the "strength" needed to support mine and his weight and satisfy the advantages of a double layer hammock. If one was lucky enough to weigh less than 120-140 pounds, I would consider a single layer Momentum 50 - any takers for a guinea pig? This could be potentially a sub 3 oz hammock 2.8-2.9 oz for the momentum.

Anyway for the future, expect a report on the Double Neutron with Momentum 5.0 when available. Video is a must MedicineMan!!! Will it Hold ? ? ? The suspense is killing me.
    So Medicineman is going to be the test dummy Looking forward to the test results on this. Personally, I think the double layer will work with no problems. The area of concern will be where the whoopies attach. You might consider more wraps of the cord around the hammock as opposed to just a larkshead. The material is thin so wear would be possible on the outer layer.

Jedi mind tricks, double layer M50, double layer M50 It works!

Another option to hold more weight would be a combo of M90 and M50. Put the shiny sides in with the dull sides showing Hmmm..............

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    HG CF w/doors
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0'
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Noticed at Nunatak that 0.8oz Pertex exists...might be worth a try.
    I'll be guinea pig for the double m50...be nice to get Poof to try first though.
    I'll be very interested in seeing how that goes. I've been communicating with PapaSmurf about making a M90T, (and asked him about a M50 DL today), however there might be an issue of stretchiness when sewn to the zipper. I'm hoping that maybe a M50 DL, might give a little bit less stretch while still being very light.

Neutron, would it be possible for you to somehow compare the stretch of materials, SL and DL?
    "Religion is the most malevolent of all mind viruses." - Arthur C. Clarke

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I have been in and out of this thing quite a few times playing with the RL and have it now set at 100 inches. I also have a Knobby mod on each side at the head and foot area. I burnt my holes with a hot 16 penny nail,,and reinforce 3 sides of it by hand stitching with nylon thread and its holding up very nicely,,no separation or anything at the holes as the hot nail melted the fabric around the hole very nice. You have to be very careful in doing this or you will go right thru both sides of the hem. I would not be afraid to sew a zipper on the side hems at all. This material is not a bit stretchy as it would break the polyester thread used on the side hems and so far it doesn't show any breakage anywhere as I have continually looked...been sitting it constantly too, watching TV in the living room where I have it hung up playing and testing it. Took a knap in it yesterday and today as well as slept in it now last 2 nites and will again tonite. Only downfall I see of the fabric is, and this is tafetta M 90T, when you move around in it, you can make a poping sound as you move over the pleats that your laying on in the leg area some times, but that is no more noisier than a cuben tarp. Very very comfortable and the feel is so nice. I will make another hammock as soon as I get my material that has been shipped by Thru-Hiker and make another hammock out of M90MR as I definitely want to see how it feels and sleeps on.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Acer, have you slept in a regular 1.1 nylon hammock? I'm wondering if you or someone that has slept in both the regular 1.1 and Momentum 90 could compare their sense of stretch between the two.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    HG CF w/doors
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0'
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Only downfall I see of the fabric is, and this is tafetta M 90T, when you move around in it, you can make a poping sound as you move over the pleats that your laying on in the leg area some times, but that is no more noisier than a cuben tarp.
    Popping as in a drum-like way? Not popping as in threads breaking I hope? (Unless you meant pooping, which I seriously doubt. )
    "Religion is the most malevolent of all mind viruses." - Arthur C. Clarke

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Its a very light poping noise as you slide over the pleats of the hammock itself..I never noticed it,,but the wife mentioned it when I moved in the hammock last nite asleep. Doesn't bother me in the slightest,,but I wanted to give everybody as thorough report as possible on anything and everything.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast