Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images

GSMNP 5 days, 4 nites, Balsam Mt. Car Camp

After waiting about 4 weeks for the wife to get her week of vacation,,they managed to squeeze 5 days for her to get off so we made a quick pack of the car of various gear and beat it down south to Balsam Mt. Campground this week for 5 days, 4 nites of hanging at 5314ft altitude on Balsam Mt. abvoe Cherokee, NC on the south side of the GSMNP. Original plans were to hike and camp at Campsite 13 a mile past Gregory Bald,,but do to short notice,,couldn't get a reservation on that campsite and because it was our 1st year wedding anniversary,,I let the wife kinda call the shots as to what she wanted to do that week, and she wanted to car camp, and hang our hammocks at Balsam Mt. Campground and so that is where we planted our butts for the 4 nites. After experiencing above 90 degree weather,,the hang at 5300 ft alitutude was very very nice with daytime temps in the low 60's and nite time temps at 48 and 49 each nite. It rained the first 3 nites. First nite rained about 2/10's inch, 2nd nite was a half inch of heavy rain at times, 3rd nite we had about another 2/10's and the last nite no rain. Great hanging in the rain listening to it hit the tarps putting us to sleep as the rain would always hold off till about 11pm and we would wake in the mornings either in a heavy fog flying over the top of the mountain, with the sun burning it off every morning making a very pleasant morning by a campfire eating breakfast and enjoying our morning coffee.

For those of those that car camp, or trip with a motorcycle, Balsam Mt. Campground opens on May 11 and closes on Oct 11th for the season,,its always cooler at 5300ft alititude and you can never guess the weather in the Smokies which is always a nice surprise. This campground is never filled. There are at least 10 of the 42 sites where you can hang 2 or more hammocks using your ingenuity..and maybe another 6 with 1 hammock spot and if you have portable stands, at least 10 more spots of the 42 sites with one or more trees for a end hang with your portable stand on a end. Great thing about this campgrounds, the spots are spread out so you can have alittle privacy and the first nite there were only 7 spots filled, 2nd nite 8,,3rd nite 5,,and Thurs nite, 8 again so we had our area pretty much to ourselves.
    Best buy on firewood is at Starvin Marvin's gas station, which is located 3/10ths of a mile west of junction of the Blue Ridge Parkway and Hwy 19 between Maggie Valley and Cherokee on Hwy 19. For 5 bucks you get a big box of solid oak of which you wouldn't find anywhere else, and they have large bags of ice for a buck as well,,1 box of oak would last all nite for 4 hours of burn time if you like a nice decient fire. Best showers for 3 bucks can be had at Bradley's Campground in Cherokee. Clean and hot and you can shower as long as you want. GSMNP has no shower facilities.

The wife has never experienced springtime in the Smokies and it was my plan to show her the bloom of the rodedendrum, mountain laurel, and the flaming azaleas. Early June in the higher alititudes is best for this specticle of the Smokies with Andrews Bald and Gregory Bald loaded with every color imaginable. Because we didn't pack to Gregories Bald,,we did the Andrews Bald hike, where you park at Clingman's Dome Parking lot at 6200 ft alitutude and hike 1.9 miles with a drop in elevation of about 1000 ft to Andrews Bald,,this hike is registered as a easy hike. We packed a picnic lunch and spent about hour walking the bald taking pics of the various flowers in bloom. Instead of giving you pics of hammock hanging which you always see on this forum..I decided to show what your missing if you don't make a trip to the mountains in the spring/early summer,,,to view the explosion of color in the mountains. Also,,the Blue Ridge Parkway,,and road to Balsam Mt. as well as the gravel 1 way 29 mile road into the back of Cherokee was lined with the explosion of Mountain Laurel, Azaleas, and quite a few still blooming white and purple rodedendrum as they bloom alittle earlier than the flaming azaleas. The road to Balsam Moutain must be driven with care as you will encounter elk of which we enjoyed the siteings of about 20 total, numerous wild turkeys, a grouse, squirrels, a grey fox, 1 black bear just outside the entrance to Balsam Mt. Campground, and numerous rabbits at the campsite as well. Drive with care and enjoy the few pics I am posting. Included in the pics are a couple of the Fourney Creek Trail to Andrews Bald and a pic of the bald.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Here is a couple more pics to enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Acer; 06-08-2012 at 08:59.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Congratulations on your one-year! Looks awfully pretty up that way. Thanks for sharing!

I haven't stayed there before but I have driven the Balsam Mt road in the fall. I need to check into staying there
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Congrats on the one year anniversary--great way to spend it. Thanks, too, for the pics and trip report. I know they were spending a good bit of time and energy reworking some of that trail down to Andrews Bald--liked the look of those stone steps. Glad you got away to the GSMNP and had such a good trip.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Acer a huge woohoo for you getting there like you wanted too. Beautiful pics and love the report. Now dont you just want to go back and back and back!
    Even more glad you got to Balsam, probably my favorite area in the whole park temp wise like you pointed out and the elk that frequent there.
    Also sounds like you score more critters in one trip than I have in a year in the park...me jealous

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Acer a huge woohoo for you getting there like you wanted too. Beautiful pics and love the report. Now dont you just want to go back and back and back!
    Even more glad you got to Balsam, probably my favorite area in the whole park temp wise like you pointed out and the elk that frequent there.
    Also sounds like you score more critters in one trip than I have in a year in the park...me jealous
    Early mornings and late evenings about a hour before dark is the time to see the movement of animals. As many times as we have camped at Balsam over the years I have never seen rabbits there until this time,,and 2nd nite,,the wife had one bump her in the butt about 3am and wake her up.. then the last nite (thurs),,,3 rabbits were under her about 12am breeding and carrying on to where she had to reach over and shooo them away,, adding a spice to her hanging. The med. size bear was seen at about 15 minutes after sunset right at the Campground entrance as we were hiking and taking a couple of pics down the road of the Rodedendrum that was blooming. So you just never know other than needing to be alittle quiet. The elk up there right now are young bulls with about 4 inches of antler growth already,,most of the cows are either carrying or dropping their calves,,as they have learned to and have moved up to Balsam Area to get away from the bears in Catalahoochie as the bears have learned its a easy feed on the young newborns,,so the elk are learning to adapt to the mountains of the Park. The Park biologists keep an eye on the newborns and tag them as soon as possible to keep the count but the Elk are doing great in increasing the size of the amounts of animals there. The house at the entrance is where a Park Ranger stays and is super nice to chat with. They are in the process of hiring 4 backcountry rangers to patrol the backcountry especially next year when they enact the 4 bucks per person per nite to camp in the backcountry..and its definitely needed. He informed me Tues nite that they had a drunken brawl that had to be broken up Sunday nite as 3 groups of campers where camped at Abrams Falls illegally (no campsites there). And had to send one of them to the hospital for a few stitches for fighting..needless to say,,the stealth camping will eventually come to an end and in a way,,is not a bad thing at all especially if they can keep them from trashing the areas that are most heavily used. As far as the wife..she shed a tear at the last vista when we where leaving as its always hard to leave and we will be back,,maybe she can get off for Sgt. Rock's hang as I am hopeing so and so is she even if it is for 1 nite. I will be there no matter what. We both like to make it down there 2-3 times a year anyway.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Great report and pictures. That is beautiful up there. Our favorite campground is Mile High campground, just down the road from Balsam.

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    Congratulations on your anniversary. Sounds like you had a great time. I enjoyed your beautiful pictures.

I liked the picture of the cow elk. I've seen domestic cattle with less tags on them.

• + New Posts