Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anna's Hammocks

Anna's Hammocks

Hello, I am a brand new member on these forums. I am also new to hammock adventuring and all of its goodness. In a few weeks I'm going away on my first backpacking trip and I wanted to find a hammock to sleep in instead of a tent. I'm going away to the Manistee North Country for two nights and I want to try my hand at hammock camping. So thanks to Google I have been floating around here and some other places in search of a good hammock.

The right fit for me needed to be a reasonable fit and of decent quality. I recently purchased a Hennessy A-sym Explorer through Amazon which I didn't like very much and I couldn't justify the cost of. It was a great hammock but it just wasn't for me. It was too heavy and bulky and I just wanted something more simple and bare bones. Plus the price was just too high for me as a beginner. I figure I'll save my monies until I get super serious and decide that I need all of the included accessories. I returned the Hennessy and was just about to pull the trigger on an ENO DN (simpler, of quality, fun colors, and well-liked) when I was informed of a local hammock maker.

My grandparents told me about an article they read in the newspaper a couple weeks ago. Our local press wrote an article about a freelance field biologist in the area who started a small business making hammocks. She just opened this month. I quickly jumped from the article to her website. On there I found some nice looking hammocks for a really low entry price.

Anna's Hammocks remind me of a cross between the cheap Grand Trunk Ultralight and the nicer ENO Doublenest ($20 for the former and $50-70 for the latter). Made of a high strength Taslan fabric, they measure 9' by 5' which is a little bit shorter and a little bit wider than the Grand Trunk UL. Also unlike the cheaper Grand Trunk UL, this has that certain finish and quality you can only find in a handcrafted product. It feels strong, durable, and most importantly loved. It definitely doesn't feel cheap. It feels like somebody put thought and care into what they were stitching. I do wish it was a bit on the bigger side, like the ENO DN, but it's still a great size for me and I can't wait for my first trip. At a little over a pound, this should do the trick.

This hammock came stuffed in an attached pocket with an attached set of polyester or nylon ropes running through the end channels. I might change out the ropes for something else. Also the stuffable pocket is just that, it doesn't have a drawstring or any way to fasten closed. A solution might be a stuff sack or maybe even a strap or fastener like "velcro". For me and my needs I love that just starting out I found a great, no-frills, locally made hammock for less than $50. Now if I want I can mod it in the future any way I please. Anyway, just thought I would share my experience.

Through my experience I had the pleasure of meeting Anna, her husband John, and their baby girl in person and they were very nice. They gave me tips on how to set up and take care of the hammock. We also chatted about their future ideas for their products. I guess John has mosquito netting attached to his hammock and Anna has had many requests for a camo color. She will do custom orders if you send her a request via e-mail. You can check out their website here www.annashammocks.com and let me know what you think.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (132.1 KB, 233 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (117.0 KB, 153 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (101.7 KB, 203 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (3.9 KB, 160 views)

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Sounds interesting. As you spend time looking around the forums here, you may find some better suspension systems than heavy-duty rope. We have found that 1" polypropylene straps work best for reducing damage to the trees, and suspension adjustability is also an important issue.

Welcome to HF!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Interesting way to advertise. You do realize there will be a significant increase in cost to add a better suspension, bugnet and tarp for camping. Then there are tree huggers, I don't see them listed but they are a big issue. 9 ft of fabric comes up about 3 ft short in my book. YMMV. ;-)

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Chinook 9' x 12'
    Insulation
    MSS
    Suspension
    Tree Slings
    Have you gotten rid of your Hennessy?

Hammock
    DH Darien / WB RR
    Tarp
    DW Dyneema/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    EE RevX / HG Inc.
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas / Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger77 View Post
    Have you gotten rid of your Hennessy?
    He mentioned that he'd returned it...

Its amazing to start producing hammocks and - with all the information available (especially here) - one ends up delivering a hammock without a thought-through suspension.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    Its amazing to start producing hammocks and - with all the information available (especially here) - one ends up delivering a hammock without a thought-through suspension.
    If one were to believe the "About Us" page at Anna's Hammocks, the idea didn't come from Hammock Forums, but from a trip to Costa Rica. I've been to half a dozen Central and South American countries since I've gotten into hammock camping and not once have I seen anybody using a lightweight suspension. So, from that perspective, it's easy to understand why the suspension is that way. I know of at least one 'major' camping hammock manufacturer in the US that still sends their hammocks out with industrial strength marine quality rope for their suspension, so it isn't outside of the ballpark.

Given their stated love of backpacking and now exposure here, I suspect they will make a change to that aspect if they want to compete. At least, I would hope they do. But even if they don't, how many still have their original suspension? I know it is usually one of my very first mods to any hammock I purchase. Nobody does descending rings with their webbing anymore.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    JRB spinn hex
    OP, any idea of the weight?

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    JRB spinn hex
    I asked Anna "It is 15 oz without rope and 1 lb 2 oz with rope."

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    She'd likely have a better product if it'd been a bit longer. I usually get my best diagonal out of a longer hammock. She could probably get amsteel for not much more than that rope too.

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    Good Luck on your venture and +1 to the following.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Given their stated love of backpacking and now exposure here, I suspect they will make a change to that aspect if they want to compete.
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast