Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB BigMamaJamba
    Insulation
    Kick ass quilt:JBR
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE MSH
    great thing you started this thread I have been askin myself the same question. I am ready for anther UQ my KAQ jarbridge river is awesome but I want more gear lol dont we all, I think I am leaning toward the phoeenix also
    Ty

Demo you're absolutely right and I can verify. I camped at 13* with my 20* TQ and had to vent I was too warm. I was using a 0* UQ. The UQ rating was clearly more important than the TQ rating as I took it almost 10* past it's rating (probably rated conservatively, but still, I had to vent it)

So I got to save the weight going with a lighter TQ, I'm covered for 4 seasons, only had to buy two quilts (will still probably buy a summer quilt, need a second in case I bring company) and it all fits into my Jam for a weekends worth of hanging (2n3d food as well).

Def make sure you put the emphasis on under insulation vs. top insulation.

Hammock
    DIY whipped end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    40* or 20* Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    A few of you want to know which UQ I have decided on....... So........ I have decided......... HammockGear's Phoenix 20 degree is for me due to the dimensions of the UQ. I hope to alleviate the need for a huge top quilt with the added UQ coverage and in the cooler times of the year it will come in handy!

Thanks again for all the help!!!!
    Progress is man's ability to complicate simplicity.
    -Thor Heyerdahl

great choice buddy, can't go wrong. Worst case if it doesn't work for you I'm sure Adam would work with you but I'm sure you'll love it.

You made a fine choice, but like others have said you couldn't go wrong either way! They (the cottage makers) all make outstanding products and provide quality customer service, I am partial to Hammockgear products for many, many, many, many reasons!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Climashield?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I have a WB UQ, and there is not a single baffle in it! Oh, also, it has no down, only removable layers of Climashield.
    BillyBob, is this a custom WB thing? I thought that he only made down UQs?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwolfy View Post
    BillyBob has one of the earliest Yetis, from when Brandon was first starting to make gear. I think there were only like 5 CS-filled ones made.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY whipped end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    40* or 20* Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Trigger pulled! I ordered my HammockGear Phoenix tonight! Also ordered an Oldman Winter 4season tarp from wilderness logic! Woohoo
    Progress is man's ability to complicate simplicity.
    -Thor Heyerdahl

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images
    I have a WB TQ and a Phoenix UQ... I would gladly have a WB UQ and HG TQ, or any combination. The good part about this bought decision, if you get one, and decide you should have gotten the other, you can easily sell it for probably close to what you paid and have a minimal loss with peace of mind.
    Pass the Apple Pie

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I just wanted to add my $.02 on the Warbonnet baffle thing.

I have a WB UQ, and there is not a single baffle in it! So what do Y'all say about that, eh? Dad Gum quilt with no baffles!

It does, however, have very effective draft tubes. Oh, also, it has no down, only removable layers of Climashield. So, OK then, I guess technically, it does not need baffles. Point is still valid: it has no baffles! Oh, also, it is an unbelievably warm sucker. By warm I mean: your back spontaneously combusts if ambient temps are above 20F.

Also, it is the exact same dimensions as the down Yeti. I find it to cover all that is needed, with the leg pad and pillow getting the rest when needed.

PS: I love this UQ, in case I was not clear on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    ..... are you guys talking about baffles or being differentially cut?...

I'm having a hard time imagining keeping down in place without baffles. I could see if it's not differentially cut then you might be squishing some insulation, but I don't think I've heard of a down UQ with no baffles. Pics Bob?
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    BillyBob has one of the earliest Yetis, from when Brandon was first starting to make gear. I think there were only like 5 CS-filled ones made.
    Sorry guys. I'm just seeing this. That was my lame attempt at making a joke I think I explained later in the post that I had a Climashield synthetic warbonnets under quilt. Which of course requires no baffles. It barely requires any quilting, only on the edges. I didn't clearly state that my quilt is NOT down until the end of the post unfortunately (I guess I stated that?) , trying to make a punchline I guess. Sorry for the confusion. And I don't think I would want a down winter under quilt that did not have baffles.

But baffles or not, down or Climashield, this is one warm UQ!

Quote Originally Posted by rodwolfy View Post
    Not custom, just what WB made before he got into down. For a while, folks could not get hold of Climashield, so Brandon switched to down and never looked back. But before he did, he had a humdinger of a design that remains one of my all time favs. A dif cut ( IOW, a Yeti) with one layer of CS sewn at the edges to the inner layer. Roughly 10 oz good to at least 45. It came with 4 additional layers of CS. Since he could not get the CS, my first layer was 2.5 oz but he substituted even warmer 3.7 oz/sq.yd. CS for the additional layers. There is a zipper. So you can turn it inside out and add or remove one or more layers any time you wish. Once you get past 2 layers it becomes down right hot. But no baffles!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-07-2012 at 22:19.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123