Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FF Winter Wren

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    thats what i've been doing - with sleeves its a bulletproof system

the arm holes do zip up for pod mode - and zip down for venting / camp wear / arm dexterity when in the pod

the pod doesn't "hug" the bottom of the hammock, but.....
    if one rigged some shockcord to the foot cinch and hammock end, that would effectively tether the wren into place.
    and, once you hop in and zip the bag up, it stays put around the shoulders.
    i think the philosophy of the pod and actual use negates a lot of what the underquilt set up involves.
    intrinsically, it retains heat in a 360* --pod-- as opposed to something modular that produces potentially weak points at edges

all that said... this has been the easiest, most "fiddle-free" insulation system i've tried to date.
    i've done no real mods, adjustment, tweaking, at all. simply cinched the foot end drawcord, hopped in and zipped up. the hood
    really seals against the users head.

now of course.... i still see the speer peapod as the ultimate, as you have no real gaps to speak of at all, no weakpoints.
    but what you lose is a little bit of versatility- as i've also very much enjoyed using the wren IN the hammock as a top bag w/ UQ. it allowed easy exit,
    and was worn outside for mid-night pit stops at the tree. the hood is great too, and solved the issue of needing a pillow.

again, wider folks (or anyone really) may find the pod "confining" - but i find comfort in it. sorta sets me into place, but allows
    enough for side sleeping / fetal. i've found no real shortcomings, except, as fourdog mentions, the ease of use a full length zipper would allow.

feathered friends has new options too, like zipper customization, pertex quantum? i think, 900 fill power down, -- all of course at a higher price point. but a great company, willing to work with their customers- and walk you through the attributes of certain systems.
    I have wanted one of these babies, or maybe an Exped version, for years, long before I ever got into hanging. It looks wonderful. Incredible hood.

I have always wanted it for warmth around camp, the arm holes, not having to get out of your bag if you have to get up during the night, etc. And more recently, for a really easy bag to use in a hammock, or a summer model inside a Pea Pod, even though you will compress the bottom insulation.

Only recently, from reading guys like you and fourdog, have I realized what a great pod they would also make. This side steps compressing the bottom insulation, and looks like it works good. But then it seems you loose the ability to stay in your bag for night time watering trips. And it you will loose the ability to get your head inside that spectacular hood. Though you could stil; use it for around camp warmth, then put it on as a pod just before bed time.

Then again, is sitting around it for camp warmth a bit of a fantasy if friends around the fire are part of the camping scene? I'd be worried about a spark landing on that thing of beauty. As I would with a JRB wearable quilt. But if a big fire was not used, it would be the ultimate way to stay warm in camp. A head to toe parka.

Watching you in the inside video, showing pod use do I see something like a reverse Pea Pod top gap? In the Pea Pod, I can easily get the bottom snug against my back, but depending on hammock width, I might have a big gap on top. Or a very small to no gap with a narrow hammock. Watching you in the FFWW as pod, it looks like it is laying right down onto your chest/stomach, but with a big gap beneath. Is that correct? But I guess you could rig a small mod to pull it tighter for less gap, as you mentioned in the previous post.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

Then again, is sitting around it for camp warmth a bit of a fantasy if friends around the fire are part of the camping scene? I'd be worried about a spark landing on that thing of beauty. As I would with a JRB wearable quilt. But if a big fire was not used, it would be the ultimate way to stay warm in camp. A head to toe parka.

A big concern of mine - and yeah, depending on the trip-- it might not be the best option, aside from morning coffee / breakfast and the sometimes lolly-gagging that goes on before getting back on the trail.

Watching you in the inside video, showing pod use do I see something like a reverse Pea Pod top gap? In the Pea Pod, I can easily get the bottom snug against my back, but depending on hammock width, I might have a big gap on top. Or a very small to no gap with a narrow hammock. Watching you in the FFWW as pod, it looks like it is laying right down onto your chest/stomach, but with a big gap beneath. Is that correct? But I guess you could rig a small mod to pull it tighter for less gap, as you mentioned in the previous post.
    the wren sits close to the top of user - snug, but not uncomfortable. the gap along the bottom is negligible, albeit existent. if it proves to be problematic, as noted... a simple line of shockcord could tighten the axis and snug it up.

*used as is last weekend at 24*F... no cold spots that i can report on my bottom side. i will report back after its out again this saturday.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    In a FF wren, how can you put the hood on your head when its in pod mod?
    When I use the Exped as pod the hood hangs down under the gathered end...just curious....i guess one could creat an opening in the Exped maybe in the hood down low for the hammock/suspension to exit?

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    In a FF wren, how can you put the hood on your head when its in pod mod?
    When I use the Exped as pod the hood hangs down under the gathered end...just curious....i guess one could creat an opening in the Exped maybe in the hood down low for the hammock/suspension to exit?
    I wish you could...you can't.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    I guess one could creat an opening in the Exped maybe in the hood down low for the hammock/suspension to exit?

I think, there is a little to be gained with that.
    In my few attempts with Exped pea pod, I stuffed the hood back into the bag for slightly more insulation and so it wouldn't dangle.

Advantage the Exped Dreamwalker has over Wren is that it unzips completely so you don't have to thread the suspension trough the bag like Rip did in the video.

Cheers.

Images
    the wren sits close to the top of user - snug, but not uncomfortable. the gap along the bottom is negligible, albeit existent. if it proves to be problematic, as noted... a simple line of shockcord could tighten the axis and snug it up.

*used as is last weekend at 24*F... no cold spots that i can report on my bottom side. i will report back after its out again this saturday.
    Or just leave the bottom gap- as I do with the PeaPod sometimes on purpose, and fill that gap with other insulation for 4-6" loft of more, for thos extra chilly days.

Comfy at 24 with this wren leaving that unfilled gap below you? Quite impressive!

Images
    Hi Rip, great review.
    When in peapod mode do you have any issues getting out with only a 1/2 zipper?

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Or just leave the bottom gap- as I do with the PeaPod sometimes on purpose, and fill that gap with other insulation for 4-6" loft of more, for thos extra chilly days.
    yeah i kinda like that i can rig another UQ up under there if necessary!

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi Rip, great review.
    When in peapod mode do you have any issues getting out with only a 1/2 zipper?
    i thought, with fear, that i might. add to that the idea of frantically trying to get out if i felt claustrophobic. but its real easy to get out. at the end of the video, it shows how you just need to unzip and slide the bag down toward the foot end- ones flexibility determines how far you need to push the bag...but surely would never create a hassle.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    final testimonial :

Last edited by rip waverly; 01-29-2012 at 19:38.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Images
    final testimonial :
    Hi rip,
    Good report. Nice to see some snow.
    Maybe I missed it, but how big is the stuff sack for the wwren?
    thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast