Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Not interested in a urinating match here.

Just some clarification of what I said before. You use rope on your suspension. Fine. Your business, your call, your customers. You have a model of how to hang and have made a device for it. There are other models. A common belief around HF is that for a variety of reasons it is good to use webbing around the tree, even if the rest of the suspension is rope of any kind. A goodly number of camping hammock makers make the suspension from webbing.Clark. Claytor. Warbonnet. Jacks 'R Better. Tree-to-Tree. Your hook can be used if people want when they have tree straps, but not solely with what you provide. Some cord and some other device (which might be as simple as a toggle for a marlin spike hitch) would be used.

Your price of $12.50 shipped for a pair of hooks is a good one, considering you're in the Netherlands. A price of $7 for one Camp Nano biner is also a good one, a pair then for $14. The difference---shipping. If someone wants to pay as much as you cite for shipping two devices, well it's a free country. But it is a well known phenomena that you can amortize shipping costs when you have orders with multiple things in them. Some of the sites that offer these biners will also give you free shipping if your order is large enough, usually around $50. It's not hard to make a $50 order of outdoor gear! So that's the way I, and other cost-conscience consumers purchase gear.

Finally in answer to your question, why would I want something stronger than 1000 lbs test weight? This is safe enough in most applications, but there are complicated forces in hammock suspensions, easy ways to multiply them, and peak dynamic loads can be uncomfortably close to 1000 lbs depending on what you're doing in the hammock, e.g., someone heavy dropping into it and there is tightly tensioned structural ridgeline. So for me, at 200 lbs dripping wet on the scale, when it is easy and cheap and lighter to use something that is stronger than 1000 lbs, I will. Hang your own hang, but make sure your health and life insurance premiums are paid up first.
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 01-15-2012 at 10:19.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I think one combination that would work with these hooks is the Grand Trunk tree slings, or similar. There is a growing number of folks using shorter tree straps and cordage for the rest of the distance.

http://store.grandtrunkgoods.com/hammocks/treeslings

Just more options to choose from.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Wintec, I love the idea of coming up with something new. You raise an excellent point about differing types of customers and markets.

Given that you posted this here in the hammock forums...you know you're putting this in front of folks with a more technical bent and with a strong preference for tree straps to protect the trees that we hang from.

We DO know what whoopie slings are, and why many people use them.

You might consider how best to address the questions and concerns of the folks here on this forum, since we potentially make up some segment of your target customer audience.

No insult at all intended...some honest, friendly advice is what I'm offering here.

Convince the folks on this forum, and you'll have one heck of a free sales staff out there recommending your product.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    Since the advent of whoopie slings, I see no use for such devices any longer. I'm sure your average Wal-Mart shopper may find them useful.

Also as far as I'm concerned, anything other than Amsteel is not appropriate for hammock suspension.

Good work, but the whoopie is king here.

Hammock
    Planet Hammock
    Tarp
    Planet Hammock
    Guys, relax... I just introduced a new product of which I think it's an additional device and I know that most of the people here are 'PRO-hangers'.

I also know that rope can harm trees and so on, but even if I would offer anything that most of you would like than there will be someone who doesn't like the color

I have something else comming up in stainless steel; strong and light, but developing cost money so it takes a bit longer. 'DEJOHA' allready saw pics of the prototype and I'm always looking for something new, but only if it's appreciated.

It's a small market and I love to support people who are always seeking for the best to achieve the absolute top.
    WINTEC TRADING (click here)

Statistics show that people with the most birthdays live the longest

Hammock
    Planet Hammock
    Tarp
    Planet Hammock

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I hope you come up with good directions. Between the photos in post #1 and post #16 which appear to show two different methods of use, I am still totally confused on how this hook is used (how the rope is routed) and how the rope is attached to the tree.

Maybe it's just me, but I can usually figure these things out.

Hammock
    Planet Hammock
    Tarp
    Planet Hammock
    I hope that these pics will show you what I have in mind for using this hook. I't not specially for wrapping around a tree, but simply anywhere when you use the rope as a sling:

...when you look at the other side it looks like this:

It's very easy to adjust the lenght in this way.
    Last edited by Wintec; 01-17-2012 at 12:30.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    That cleared it up for me. Not my cup-of-tea, but I understand now. Thanks

Hammock
    Planet Hammock
    Tarp
    Planet Hammock
    No problem, I keep on trying to combine best off both/several worlds to come to a product that potential users will like

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    That cleared it up for me. Not my cup-of-tea, but I understand now. Thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast