Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I wish I could make this one, but I've already committed to a cottage bound getaway the weekend before this one, (and inventory at work that weekend. )
    " I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"

Images
    I'll bring my canvas tent and stove as a backup if anyone gets too cold.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20deg TQ&UQ
    Suspension
    straps+tri.rings
    Brian, That's not a bad idea, I'm a couple hour drive away (from the Barrie area), so it would definitely be do-able. But I think I might sit this one out until I have the right gear to actually tag along for a full trip.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    I've built myself a roll up toboggan to accommodate the canvas condo and woodstove. So I have 2 of the Pelican™Snow Trek 45 Utility Sleds that have been outfitted with basic tie downs that I can loan out/sell (cheap) to anyone that wants one. I won't be able to haul them to Algonquin as I won't have room in my car for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by dant8ro View Post
    Ok, with that minor modification I'm now looking for snowshoes... and a pulk.... I don't like the MSR shoes at MEC and am looking at a set of Ojibwes.... God this camping thing gets expensive...
    Dant8ro,

As we know, good gear lasts a lifetime if looked after. For your snowshoes, head over to Canadian Outdoor Equipment company. They will have what you seek. I also have a pair of the Pelican Snow Trek 45" sleds that have been modified for pulk use. They have tie out loops along the side. I also have 1 set of 5' PVC poles that were used as the rigid portion of the harness system. They are designed to have a rope run through them for the main attachment system. There is no hip belt or hauling rope included. I will sell them cheap. If interested, PM. Note, I can't haul them to Algonquin as they won't fit in my car with my other gear for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    While you'll probably need snowshoes, I'm starting to wonder if we all need to have some from of pulk. Certainly we can share? Split the load between 2 or 3 sleds? If we stay on the mainly on the bike paths then we shouldn't need high tech pulks.. At least, that's my take on it.

Personally, I plan on bring my 5' aluminum standard downhill kid's toboggan. Served me well on 100+ ice fishing trips; should do for an overnighter! If we were bushwacking, then that might be a different story, but our trails are mostly flat and groomed. At least as far as the general area of our final site. (K.I.S.S.).
    I think everyone should be responsible for hauling their own gear. My canvas condo and stove take up a fair amount of space and weight. I know, personally, I wouldn't want someone else to haul my gear. Basic kids sleds are readily available and quite cheap and rather easy to turn into a gear hauling device.

As we all know winter gear is bulky and more of it is required as we are venturing further from the vehicles, so it's not like making multiple trips to the cars is desirable or feasible.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL W/ ADJ RL
    Tarp
    MLD Cuben Hex CTRL
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    1/8 Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This sounds like fun. I will post back when I know more about my scheduling. I should be able to make it out though.

Hammock
    DIY Lazy Ryvr Bridge, Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Hard Rock Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Karo UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Although I have been looking forward to this trip I dont believe it is one I will be able to make. With getting the house ready to sell and looking for a new place to live its all a little too much atm.

I will keep you posted, If for some reason I do find the time I will likely need to borrow some snow shoes or atleast be directed to a place that sells them on the cheap.

I wonder if Snow Blades would work??? just need to find my ski boots for them.

Ryvr
    When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun.

Images
    For those that need snowshoes and can't borrow a pair, MEC and Algonquin Outfitters (AO) rent them. MEC is cheaper, but AO has both the newer style and the traditional style if you want to try them.

MEC has the new style and Canadian Outdoor Equipment has the traditional snowshoes for those considering buying.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Greetings

I've been checking the weather up at Algonquin Park periodically and this morning the mercury tipped out at -31C. (-24F) Whhhhhoooooo Buuuuuuuddddddddddyyy!

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    I've been checking the weather up at Algonquin Park periodically and this morning the mercury tipped out at -31C. (-24F) Whhhhhoooooo Buuuuuuuddddddddddyyy!
    Well, that's a might nippy. Better up my timbit intake to enchance my integrated R-factor.

I also keep track of this webcam in the Park. (Looks like it auto-refreshes) Looks like there's just over one foot of snow on the Park's west side.

BTW, I'm still looking around for an alternate site that allows for ice fishing.
    Last edited by Chard; 01-16-2012 at 00:14.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    Well, that's a might nippy. Better up my timbit intake to enchance my integrated R-factor.

I also keep track of this webcam in the Park. (I'm hoping it auto-refreshes) Looks like there's just over one foot of snow on the Park's west side.

BTW, I'm still looking around for an alternate site that allows for ice fishing.
    Snow is good, it makes for better hauling of gear on a toboggan. Also gives one a chance to finally use those snowshoes that have been sitting idle. As for your ice fishing, perhaps, you could do that as a day trip since we are going to be there for 2 nights.

Cheers

Brian

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast