Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Here is the finished product.

Final results are:

Dimensions: 70" x 48" (33" at foot)
    Weight: 29.05 ounces (33.95 in event stuff sack)
    Lofts up after stuffing to 2.5" over 5 minutes.

After seam ripping, decided not to mess with the grossgrain. Instead just took a 4" wide swath of M90, folded it over, and sewed that on the foot area. Strong enough, much easier to sew, and looks much better up close.

The foot box area when sinched up works great to contain my feet. I may opt not to sew any additional ties around the legs to keep the quilt simple and functional.

In stuff sack. Ran out of silnylon, so using a Medium Event stuff sack from Sea to Summit. It weighs 4.9 ounces. 1 liter Nalgene for reference. 2 layer's of Climashield is pretty bulky, in fact it's twice as bulky as my single layer Climashield quilt... go figure

This is the whole top quilt stuffed into the sack.

So far it appears to be of adequate quality. I stuffed it and unstuffed it a few times. Pulled on some of the seams, walked on it, crumpled it up, kicked it, etc.

K

Hammock
    WBBB!,bias ww BMBH, DIY
    Tarp
    JRB, GG cuben twin
    Insulation
    tewa Mt.3. GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Amstel
    Images
    So have you tested the temp yet? I am very interested in this project. thinking of doing this same project or uq or both. Still looking for verification that it handles close to zero temps.

Quote Originally Posted by Notare View Post
    So have you tested the temp yet? I am very interested in this project. thinking of doing this same project or uq or both. Still looking for verification that it handles close to zero temps.
    This has been the WARMEST winter in NC that I have experienced. The coldest it has gone was 30F, and I was too busy to go camping.

In late December I went to Uwharrie for the weekend. Mountain biked during the day and camped that night. Temps were probably in the upper 30's, and I was very warm with the double layer setup.

I'd love nothing more than a nice cold front to come through and give us some 15-20F temps, but alas that is not happening.

K

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Notare View Post
    This project is very good. I made a TQ with 1.1 ripstock nylon top outer covering and layering 1-sheet of Climashield 8.0 between two sheets of Insultex. I was interested to see how his project turned out, and the results are surprisingly close. The Insultex is lighter than a doubled sheet of Climashield 5.0. I did trim my edges down a bit to reduce weight. My finished result was 2.5 lbs. A bit on the heavy side, but i can attest to the fact that I've slept in mine down to 24* and it worked extremely well, that's the coldest it's been here for me so far. I don't know how low temperature wise it can go, but I doubt 0*. A doubled layer of Cllimashield 5.0 might work, not sure. The issue is the actual size and compression. It takes up more space than I'd like it to. One thing that you can do (which I did) Is to separate your climashield into two parts and make one of them an insert! This allows you to take one layer out when the weather warms up; it will then also reduce the weight and size of the package. My Climashield is an insert held in place with velcro tabs, leaving me with only the two layers of IX which is good for around 40* easily. Hope this helps.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...p?albumid=1683

I know this is a bit old of a thread. I was planning on building my own quilt with 10oz of climashield apex. Was wondering if you ever got a chance to take it into colder weather? I'm hoping to get close to 0.

Hammock
    11' Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kielbasavw View Post
    I know this is a bit old of a thread. I was planning on building my own quilt with 10oz of climashield apex. Was wondering if you ever got a chance to take it into colder weather? I'm hoping to get close to 0.
    LOL I was reading through and didn't realize it's almost 3 years old until your comment. I'd be interested as well. I'm planning a single layer of 5oz for now, with plans to do a double if it goes well.

Op last activity was in 2012.... just after he wrote this thread. Looks like won't get an answer, at least from him.

Hammock
    Hex 1.0 Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Secret
    if it helps i have a 6oz apex UQ and it's been good down to about 25* so far and still plenty warm. I'm thinking i can easily push it below 20*.
    DutchWare Gear
    www.DutchWareGear.com

Hammock
    11' Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by atrane21 View Post
    if it helps i have a 6oz apex UQ and it's been good down to about 25* so far and still plenty warm. I'm thinking i can easily push it below 20*.
    it does, thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12