HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images
    hmm, does anyone know where the picture goes once it is posted? i thought i was going to turn up with my text!!
    anyways, Cheers and good luck with the tarp!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    HH has manufacturers that sew their gear for them. Some of it is in China and some is in Canada.

If you put a pic in the gallery (preferred method), it'll show up only in the gallery unless you include it in your message. To do that, find you pic in the gallery (sorting by date is one easy way to find it), then copy the text from the text box below the image. You can either link to it or have it show up with your text depending on which code you copy.

You can also click the attachment icon (paperclip) and attach it to your message...but then it only shows up in your message and folks can't see it when they're scanning the gallery pics. And you have a max size for attachments that adds up over time, but no max for the gallery pics.

Either way is fine.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingus Khan View Post
    just an odd curiosity - are the HH hex tarps made by HH or are they made by a third party elsewhere?
    I bought my HH with an aftermarket tarp (hex - made in china label included..) and was wondering if it was the same.
    it is PU coated poly, very large (don't know the exact specs) and if i can figure it out i will include a pic

There was some talk about this on WB last year. I have the HH UL Explorer. It is labeled made in USA.

I sent an email asking them. They are really helpful and send the following response. The info is a year old, before their hex tarp was offered (I think).

"We used to make everything just in the US and Canada. Now, we make some of our models in China and some are still made in the US and Canada. The breakdown is as follows:

Scout - made in China
    Standard Expedition Asym (currently our holiday special) - made in China
    Ultralight Backpacker Asym - made in US and Canada
    Explorer Deluxe Asym - made in China, some made in US and Canada
    Explorer Ultralight Asym - made in US and Canada
    Safari Deluxe - made in US and Canada
    Adventure Racer and Lite Racer - made in US and Canada
    Military Expedition Asyms - made in US and Canada
    Special run hammocks including non standard Expedition Asyms - made in US and Canada

Made in US and Canada generally means manufactured in the US with some assembly and packaging done in Canada.

For any questions related to this topic or any other hammock related inquiries, please feel free to call 1-888-539-2930 or email [email protected]"

Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images
    Aha!!

You guys are a great help, HE dunno how you dug that one up! I have the explorer UL, so it seems that the hammock was made at home (CAN - even though i live in the USA i grew up in Quebec City) and the fly could have been built in china, as the label indicates.... hey, what the heck, it works fine - except I need to add some tarp tensioners and learn to hang it lower than my hammock without it getting caught up in it. I still haven't figured that one out yet.
    Here is the link for my pics, instead of figuring out the gallery option, just go to my personal site... feel free to ignore the other pics, not much on there of interest really... (yeah, let the rag fest begin!! )
    http://picasaweb.google.com/dneilson/HHEXUL1106

Cheers
    Last edited by Dingus Khan; 01-20-2007 at 00:13.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Nice pics.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    I only found that b/c I remember posting it. What I thought was funny was that there was about 3 pages of people going back and forth about it and I was the only one to contact them about it.

How old is your HH. When I first got mine I would hang it, get in it for a couple seconds, and then get out and retighten it. That seemed to help. Also try hanging the tarp a few inches below the hammock on the tree. My ridgeline usually touches or comes close to touching my tarp before I get in it. After I get in it hangs a few inches below it.

Hope it helps.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images
    Thanks HE and FF,

I will have to try it tomorrow afternoon, I am going to see if I can both ridgelines to basically be parallel and flush prior to laying down in it and see if that helps. Normally I hang my tarp up first (practicing for wetter weather) and then the HH, so I will see if I can get it right.
    As for now, I am going to cut out the ridgeline of the HH and replace it with some 6mm cord. People have been discussing using carabiners at either end, but wouldn't it be simpler and lighter to cut below the knots at either end, (leave the loop for some other use) and with a fixed length of rope use two larks heads? It seems as though it would be fine except I would have to retighten the HH every time. I have not heard anyone say that they were able to use biners without retightening either though, since the force would be pretty great if you wanted a real taut ridgeline.

I'll figure out what works best for me and post some ideas. Any suggestions?

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I use a 'biner out of convenience. I decided the little bit of weight for the 'biner was worth avoiding the pain of having to mess with a loop or a knot, especially since you have to reach in through the slit to do either. Also, if you hang with medium-high tension, the 'biner lets you remove/reattach the ridge without having to retighten. Less than super-high tension on my HH doesn't work quite as well as I'd like, but I've had good results so far on my homemade hammock (with ridgeline).
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images
    BB - i set it up and you were right, was unable to remove either larkhead without loosening the HH. Threw a biner on the foot end - voila- piece of cake, and like you said, after hanging in it for a while it the ridgeline is just loose enough to be able to get that biner off and back on without messing with the hang.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123