Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

GAR-Gantous

gargantous...Is that really a word?

I found some realllllly wide fabric at the store a while back and made it into a channeled end hammock. My intentions were to somehow make a two person hammock (like dblhmmk) but from a single panel of fabric. But that wasn't happening without buying some spreader bars....and it got shelved.

Then Cannibal posted about some kind of nap hammock that is at a health club. Here.

Any ways, it led to my remembering the shelved big hammock and so here it is.

115" wide, (yep I said 115") 1.9 polyester fabric (not ripstop), channeled ends, a amsteel 1/8" x 12 foot long whoopie on one end, and 6 foot of 1200# mule tape (basically 1/2 webbing, for those not familar with MT) on the other. Dimensions laid out flat at the beginning were 144" long x 115" wide, minus the hems and channels, and I'm around 134" x 110" finished. The whole set-up with suspension is easily approaching 5 lbs.

The goofy suspension was stuff I had on hand when trying to do some spreader bars/ double hammock. But the combination works good for this type of set up...I'll try to explain.
    The whole attachment thing could be done differently, but I did what I did, and it worked..

I extended the whoopie out as far as it would go, this gave me the length to toss the whoopie over the branch. I used a quicklink shackle

as a dead weight to assist in the tossing process, worked good. Once the whoopie was over the branch, I pulled it down, opened up the quicklink, attached the muletape webbing to the q.l. and secured it shut. Then adjusted the whoopie, as the whoopie shortened it traveled thru the q.l. smoothly, and in the process, pulled the mule tape up over the tree. Thus eliminating damaging any bark. Sturdy overhead branch, approx. 10 feet off the ground.
    gargantous 021.jpg

Further whoopie adjustments were made to get the hammock to the right "chair" height. (6'-5", 300+ lb hammock model)
    gargantous 003.jpg

From the seated position, I laid back and did a little wiggle getting myself more centered. After playing in the hammock a few times, it helps to put some extra fabric under you before you sit, this puts your hind end closer to center. Then when you pick up your feet, the fabric slides out around your feet.
    The lay is definitely flat, but there is some shoulder squeeze. You kinda end up laying like a corpse, with arms folded over your chest.
    Side lay and stomach lay are nice, but there is always some fabric close to your face.

gargantous 019.jpg
    Fully enclosed inside.
    gargantous 014.jpg
    Head and feet hanging out.
    gargantous 009.jpg
    A view of the corpse.
    So the shoulder squeeze...I tried adding a spreader bar. Took a 30" piece of 2x2 lumber, drilled holes for the suspension to feed thru and rehung the setup.
    With and w/o spreader.
    gargantous 023.jpg
    gargantous 020.jpg

Still had issues. I think a spreader placed closer to the head would help.

Overall, I think it could work for some. If your prone to seasickness, this is not for you. The whole set up twists as you move, and being somewhat enclosed takes some getting used to. But it is comfy, flat and different.

I may cut the whole length down (maybe in half?) and re channel. That will cut the weight and bring the spreader down closer to the occupant. We will see.

G
    Now a tarp.....
    Last edited by gargoyle; 09-02-2011 at 14:13.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    more cool stuff the master haha
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I like it!

That recent study that CNN reported on about the swaying action of the hammock inducing a more rapid entry to REM is popping to mind. I wonder how much the 'spinning' contributes to, or takes away from the data they collected on just the swinging aspect.

I never get seasick, but the enclosed view would irritate me to no end. This same hammock made in Mayan fashion would likely reduce the shoulder squeeze due to the weave opening and allow the occupant to see outside and eliminate that feeling of being in a coffin.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    First, this is so coming to Jacksonville.

Second, could you have tie outs above your head to help "open up" a little space hopefully reducing the shoulder squeeze and then also "stabilizing" things a bit? Shock cord bits would aid in that I think.

Third, I think a cut down version of a poncho would make a great "tarp".

Lastly,
    Seriously, I have to have one of these.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Very cool set up! Maybe with a nice afternoon and an iPod, it can be like an isolation hammock.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    The fabric is somewhat see thru. When inside during the daylight, I could easily see the dog on the deck 50 feet away.

The sidelay really allows for good flexion of the knees and hips.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

Version 2

Chopped down the dimension on the channeled side to 90" and rechanneled the cut. Tried the set up with the previous spreader and it was still a bit of a squeeze. Made a new 2 x 2 spreader at 48" long. Much nicer. Did something different on the suspension. Ran the muletape up over the limb, secured a marlin spike hitch/toggle over my head, the fit the whoopie over the hitch/toggle like normal. Seems to work, but I'd like to simplify the process?? Ideas welcome.

Very versatile. Makes a excellent chair, lounger, asym lay, asym sit.
    Very stable.
    I loosely guyed out the spreader via the left over whoopie tails to keep from spinning around completely. It still drifts around some, which is fun. Plus the normal sway of a hammock.

gargantous 2 017.jpg
    The hammock empty, showing the guyed out suspension

gargantous 2 016.jpg
    Comfy guy in the chair. Just enough clearance on the spreader for chair mode. Glad I didnt cut the hammock any shorter.

gargantous 2 003.jpg
    Lounging back. Good open feel. I liked the armrest feature.

gargantous 2 007.jpg
    Completely in the hammock, arm and leg sprawl are extra comfortable.

gargantous 2 006.jpg
    Opposite view of being in the hammock.

gargantous 2 010.jpg
    Laying asym is possible in any direction.

gargantous 2 008.jpg
    This chair mode is really nice. Provides great back support.

gargantous 2 005.jpg
    Side view of me in the hammock completely.

Side lay is still good. Stability is nice. Never felt like it was gonna tip me out. It is a different feel, especially with the added 360* swaying action. But I like it so far.

My next venture is to find two closely spaced trees and rig the hammock to those. Should only need 6-8 feet spacing. And I won't be dependant on the overhead limb only for hanging. The spreader will stay in place...hopefully. It'll act as a static ridgeline, of sorts.

Thanks for looking. G.
    Cannibal, It hung nicely in the basement last night.

Skeeter net and tarp are next...and a uq
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Before I saw you added that spreader bar, I was going to congratulate you on the stork delivery!

V2 looks promising.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
    Before I saw you added that spreader bar, I was going to congratulate you on the stork delivery!

V2 looks promising.
    Awfully big stork!!
    Thanks.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies