Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    What:

2012 Colorado Summer Hang Friday and Saturday July 6 & 7; Hike 3 nights 8th to 10th hike out on 11th.

Pot luck Saturday evening, the 7th.

Where: Suggestions in no particular order.

1. Hang at the Cebolla Campground near Lake City in the San Juans. Hike Rough Creek to Colorado Trail and back East Mineral Creek. Lollipop hike.

2. Hang Camp Hale Campground near Tennessee Pass. Hike Colorado Trail back to Copper Mountain - but only a two night hike. Shuttle hike.

3. Hang Kelly Dahl Campground near Nederland. Hike the north loop in Indian Peaks out of Brainard Lake. Red Deer Lake, Cascade Creek, Pawnee Lake - bring your fishing gear. Alternate hike an overnighter to Diamond Lake out of the 4th of July Trailhead.

4. Hang at one of the many campgrounds near Turquoise Lake by Leadville. Hike Colorado Trail to Bear Lake then Porcupine Lake. Only two night hike, but bring your fishing gear. Shuttle hike.

5. Hang at Turquoise Lake again. Three night hang south on Colorado Trail ending at Twin Lakes with optional climb of Mt Massive (14,421 ft- 2nd highest). Shuttle hike.

6. Hang at Goose Creek Campground. Hike a three night loop of Hankins Pass and Goose Creek.
    If I was ranking these hikes in the order of my preference it would go something like this.

I picked #3 as my first choice because I know the area.
    It is one of my all time favorite places in Colorado. Rough mtn peaks, beautiful pine forest laced with aspen groves, many high mtn lakes and of course the connecting streams.
    Colorado div of wildlife just introduced moose into the area from Utah this year.

In 1980 when I arrived in Colorado a CO native (coworker) took me to this area for some backpacking. There were no signs along the highway which I asked about and he told me the locals pull the signs down so no one that doesn't already know how to get there can find it. That's how special this area was to them.

We have 11 to 13 months to dream, think about, research places that would be worthy for folks to making the long drive. I'm sure where ever it is it will be epic.

One thing we will have to keep in mind if we choose a wilderness area, is there's a limit to the number of hikers. I believe its 15.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 07-21-2011 at 11:10.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I am going to keep an eye on this thread.

I would really like to do some hiking in Colorado and this looks like it could be a lot of fun and with this much advance it would be really easy to plan and get a flight out there to see some Colorado wilderness. Woop! Woop!

Fronkey

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    I am going to keep an eye on this thread.

I would really like to do some hiking in Colorado and this looks like it could be a lot of fun and with this much advance it would be really easy to plan and get a flight out there to see some Colorado wilderness. Woop! Woop!

Fronkey
    hey let me know if you decide to . ive always wanted to go out there.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Tarp
    Profly
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    id love to do at least a fall hang. never really camped in the winter. id give it a try if i had anything that could go down below 20.

it looks like ill be doing some googling to find all these places. sometimes i feel so lost when people are talking about places to hike or camp.
    Tucker: So I suppose if you are helping us you arent as mean as I thought...
    Tex: I wouldnt say Im mean, I just get hired to do mean things.
    Tucker: But you like it.
    Tex: Well I think its important to enjoy what you do.

-Red Vs Blue

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Kelty12x12 current
    Insulation
    body fat
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Polystrap
    Subscribing to this thread too... I should have all my gear (and my act) together before then!

Looking forward to completing some segments of the CT soon!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY Uglyquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I really want in on this, but the dates may be tricky, being so close to 4th of July and all, but I've got plenty of time to plan!

I've been to a couple of the listed locations, and agree with OutandBack, Indian Peaks is about the best bang you can get for your buck in Colorado. However, I'm up for anything, especially if I haven't been there before.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Has anybody worked on 2012 schedule?

Has anybody worked on 2012 schedule?
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    What:

2012 Colorado Summer Hang Friday and Saturday July 6 & 7; Hike 3 nights 8th to 10th hike out on 11th.

Pot luck Saturday evening, the 7th.

Where: Suggestions in no particular order.

1. Hang at the Cebolla Campground near Lake City in the San Juans. Hike Rough Creek to Colorado Trail and back East Mineral Creek. Lollipop hike.

2. Hang Camp Hale Campground near Tennessee Pass. Hike Colorado Trail back to Copper Mountain - but only a two night hike. Shuttle hike.

3. Hang Kelly Dahl Campground near Nederland. Hike the north loop in Indian Peaks out of Brainard Lake. Red Deer Lake, Cascade Creek, Pawnee Lake - bring your fishing gear. Alternate hike an overnighter to Diamond Lake out of the 4th of July Trailhead.

4. Hang at one of the many campgrounds near Turquoise Lake by Leadville. Hike Colorado Trail to Bear Lake then Porcupine Lake. Only two night hike, but bring your fishing gear. Shuttle hike.

5. Hang at Turquoise Lake again. Three night hang south on Colorado Trail ending at Twin Lakes with optional climb of Mt Massive (14,421 ft- 2nd highest). Shuttle hike.

6. Hang at Goose Creek Campground. Hike a three night loop of Hankins Pass and Goose Creek.
    I sure like the idea of having a car camping hang over the weekend for those that just want to car camp/hang.
    It will also allow time at altitude for those that want to hike the following days.

Just thinking out loud here:
    It might be fun to offer two types of back country experiences. One strenuous and one not so strenuous.
    Like taking on a 14er for those that have never done one and maybe back country hanging with fly fishing for the others.

After the car camp/hang. The group could hike into a back country base camp. From there one group head up the 14er while the others locate a nice brookie stream.
    I could easily spend 3 days 2 nights catching and cooking brookies. Day hiking, GPS bushwacking, from this basecamp, etc.

O&B

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    No idea yet where the AF will have me on that weekend, but I definitely plan on coming if I'm in the area.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

I'll be back in CO this summer for a week or two with some flexibility in time frame as well. So I'm definitely interested. Kinda partial to number 3 on the original list since I was just there snowshoeing and it would be cool to see the same place in the summer. Also would love to tag along on a little fly fishing!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast