Newbie Hammock 1st Try

Because of this group of hangers I was 'forced' to spend a little bit of time over the last few weeks collecting stuff to make a cheap hammock.

Most of my purchases were from ebay or Mao-Mart. I bought 10 yards of Milliken and Co. 100% polyester material...It is best suited for industrial table linens but was cheap enough. I purchased 250 ft of too narrow webbing, some thinsulate insulation, needles, bobbins, and a 1928 Singer 99 portable knee operated thread injector in a bent wood case.

Yesterday I measured, cut, and hemmed the material(using the thread that shipped with the sewing machine) I then folded and tied it prettymuch as the instructions from http://www.imrisk.com/ called for. Last night I tied the hammock up in the front yard and gave it a sit and then a lay. There was lots of stretch in the webbing and I had to rehang. Round two was awesome. High enough that my butt didn't drag I was able to listen to the sounds of the neighborhood before the rain came. Awesome. I was surprised by the cocoon like hugging pressure. If I had a down jacket on the loft would have been largely squished. I think for the Fall, Winter, and Early Spring this weight of fabric and the simple tied design would be awesome. In the summer I would need something lighter, more breathable, … or to lose 50 pounds.

Thanks. Hopefully this month I will get a chance to sleep for a few hours in the hammock. I am a groundling no more.

TheNumberSix

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Most excellent! Way to get out and hang!
    You'll have to post a pic or two of your rig.

Pics

I'll post pics as soon as the replacement lens for my D80 comes in and I have a bright day to set it up. I'll even take a few pics of my 1928 Singer 99 thread injector.

TheNumberSix

Hammock
    HammockBliss no see um
    Suspension
    home made webbing
    Images
    I got these straps from Harbor Freight and cut the metal off to leave the loop. Just wrap around the tree and put the other end thru the loop (i sewed it into a point to help put it trhu), then attach to my hammock. Works great, i have not noticed any stretch.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/set-of-...aps-67386.html

• + New Posts