Thread: Thermacell

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod

Thermacell

Sorry for the highjack on the Stelth stories thread. I realy did not mean any harm. Good news though...I contacted them about my unit not lighting like it should and they are going to repair it or replace it...So...I've got it boxed up and will have it out and on it's way to them tomorrow.

For those who are not familiar with the Thermacell...it's a light weight skeeter beater!!!

Here's mine in it's carrying case.
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Ranging in price from $22 - $26 @ Wally World depending on the model and they have recently come out with one that is used for hunting season so the smell of deer pee can drift through the woods.LOL

PS if you can't find this product and like it or just want to try it out talk with the sporting goods department manager at wally world and ask them to get it for you. It is available through there Maurice Vendor. I got a bunch of these in this past year and they sold like hot cakes even though I had never had them before. Vendor says that they are really popular in the southern area of the U.S. I guess we just never knew about 'em up North.

Happy trails!

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    I checked at their site when I contacted them about the unit's weight and seen on there you can pick up a "refurbished" model for onlyl $19.00. I seen the camo ones at wally world this evening for a few pennys shy of $25.00.
    I've used the burnt pads (soaked in scent) for heated scent pads for a few years on another unit I had and thought it was funny when I seen that they had acutally made a model for just that use.
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alex30808 View Post
    Sorry for the highjack on the Stelth stories thread. I realy did not mean any harm.
    Not a problem on the hijack. This subject definitely deserves its own space though, which it is finally getting. Cool product that interests a lot of folks.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    I've looked at these, but my concern is all the health warnings including ones that indicate that allethrin hasn't been tested fully for side effects and health risks.

I'm all for no bugs, but not at the potential risk to my health... I just couldn't see how it was better or worse (health wise) than using a DEET based repellent....

Which I also try to avoid. I probably only use it one or two times a year. Being as I live north, we have bad bugs when we have them, but we also have time when we don't, and I try to camp then.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here some math - how much does a bug net for a hammock weigh? One that you can ONLY use when you're in the hammock. Now replace that bug net with something that will work no matter where you are...that's worth some ounces.

Something to consider, at least for a short hike where you don't have to carry a bunch of reloads. Might have to check it out! I REALLY like sleeping w/o my bug net.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapt View Post
    I've looked at these, but my concern is all the health warnings including ones that indicate that allethrin hasn't been tested fully for side effects and health risks.
    So?

Just joking. Not entirely sure, but isn't Allehtrin a synthetic version of Pyrethrum (the nasty side of Peremethrin)? If that's the case it would need to be absorbed thru the skin to be of any consequence. AS I UNDERSTAND this thing, that isn't how it works. Now, I suppose if you just sat there and deeply inhaled every breath right next to it....maybe.

If it hasn't been tested and has been on the market for at least 15 years (I remember this stuff from Plant ID in college in the early 90s) I doubt very much it is even a concern among the chemistry geeks.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I see they also sell coils.

are the coils the same material. I couldn't find anything that specified one way or the other.

Anybody tried the coils?

The couils should be a lot lighter and seem to be just as effective.

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    Used the coils a couple of years in the back yard when we had some friends over they worked pretty good, but they kept the mosquitos at bay, but the other bugs were not effected by them.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Here some math - how much does a bug net for a hammock weigh? One that you can ONLY use when you're in the hammock. Now replace that bug net with something that will work no matter where you are...that's worth some ounces.

Something to consider, at least for a short hike where you don't have to carry a bunch of reloads. Might have to check it out! I REALLY like sleeping w/o my bug net.
    that's a good thought. at BPL.com some folks seem to be pretty happy using a head net along w/ their clothing, & sleeping in it too.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast