Superior gear elite
    Tarp
    Dutch Bonded Xenon
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Becket

Dutchware quilted chameleon

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the new quilted chameleon. I’m a big fan of the superior gear hammocks so this really catches my eye.

I'd say the design edge goes to Dutch. If nothing else, if there is a need to double up with an (additional) UQ, the Dutchware one can't gap along the edge as can happen between the snaps on the SG. Strange though that the initial offering is only head-right-feet-left (?)

Of course, the SG gets pretty high marks from folks for comfort. I've not seen a comparison with respect to that.

Hammock
    Superior gear elite
    Tarp
    Dutch Bonded Xenon
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I'd say the design edge goes to Dutch. If nothing else, if there is a need to double up with an (additional) UQ, the Dutchware one can't gap along the edge as can happen between the snaps on the SG. Strange though that the initial offering is only head-right-feet-left (?)

Of course, the SG gets pretty high marks from folks for comfort. I've not seen a comparison with respect to that.
    I also thought it was odd that it will only be offered as head right feet left at first. I went to superior gear because of weight savings and the idea of no fuss with the underquilt. It appears that Dutch was able to make his even lighter but I also found it odd that the weights weren’t given and aren’t listed on the preorder page for the chameleon quilted version.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The "quilted" hammock seems to be a trend right now - perhaps fostered by the success of Superior Hammocks. But some things are driven by marketing. For example, Hennessy's move to zippered entry in addition to their "Classical" bottom entry. In the kayak world, as soon as British-designed boats started appearing with what they called a day hatch (which mostly only a skilled contortionist could access), many other manufacturers started adding a similarly placed hatch on their boats.

Sure, it's handy to deal with one item (quilted hammock) instead of two (UQ + Hammock), but what are you giving up? The weight may be about the same, in some cases a little heavier. Because, with my "added" UQ's, I can opt for full size or ¾ size. Also, Instead of needing a hammock for each temperature range, I can pick the hammock I want and add the UQ for the prevailing conditions.

If I could have only one hammock, a quilted hammock - probably in the 20 or 30 (if I want to skip winter) degree range would work. But being able to swap out hammocks and quilts isn't all bad.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post

Sure, it's handy to deal with one item (quilted hammock) instead of two (UQ + Hammock), but what are you giving up? The weight may be about the same, in some cases a little heavier. Because, with my "added" UQ's, I can opt for full size or ¾ size. Also, Instead of needing a hammock for each temperature range, I can pick the hammock I want and add the UQ for the prevailing conditions.

If I could have only one hammock, a quilted hammock - probably in the 20 or 30 (if I want to skip winter) degree range would work. But being able to swap out hammocks and quilts isn't all bad.
    Many of us here have multiple hammocks and want to be able to mix-and-match hammocks and UQs.

BUT, there are also folks who don't want to own more than one hammock and may never have the need beyond a 20 degree UQ. And it isn't just a matter of only being able to have just one.

With a dedicated lay direction and a single layer body, this new Chameleon is probably quite light. And absolutely no fiddling with adjusting an UQ!

As I'm sometimes known to quip: "One size fits some..."
    Last edited by TominMN; 04-28-2024 at 20:11.

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    I hope the bottom coverage is as good as Superior's. I have the original first version Superior 30* and rarely if ever find my feet in cold spots. Contrast that with the 20* and 0* wookie's I use with my WBBB xl hammocks and you have a big difference. The Wookie is so contoured and shaped to fit your body lay you can easily wiggle into a cold spot.

Quote Originally Posted by HangingOut View Post
    I hope the bottom coverage is as good as Superior's. I have the original first version Superior 30* and rarely if ever find my feet in cold spots. Contrast that with the 20* and 0* wookie's I use with my WBBB xl hammocks and you have a big difference. The Wookie is so contoured and shaped to fit your body lay you can easily wiggle into a cold spot.
    I'm guessing the performance will be closer to the Wooki than the SG in that the area cover by the insulation is similarly limited.

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    I like the idea of having a no-fuss integrated underquilt that is based on the Chameleon platform so that I can use my existing Chameleon accessories. The only thing I'm skeptical about is the fabric...on a recent YouTube live video, Dutch said the "Dobby" fabric will feel more firm than Hexon 1.6. I gravitate towards the lighter fabrics like Hexon 1.2 and 1.0. Here's a graphic from the DWG Facebook feed today:

Quilted Chameleon.jpg

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    By the way, "Dobby" or "dobbie" is both a style of loom and its associated fabric type. The loom allows the user to pick up any of the warp threads to create the desired pattern. A more-complicated loom that allows each individual strand of warp to be lifted, one at a time, is a Jacquard loom. If you have seen really interesting tapestries, they were most likely created on a Jacquard loom. Dobby fabrics can be created with certain patterns that allow more stretch to the finished fabric, which may be why Dutch chose that kind of fabric structure.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast